Moving Forward

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Moving Forward

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:17 am

One thing that helped me to drastically reduce the gear I carried in was to keep tabs on what I actually use each time I hunt. Except for a compass, I stopped bringing in stuff that I might use and started bringing only stuff that I did use. It pretty much eliminated the need for a pack. I wish I could eliminate my binos but I do use them maybe 1 in 5 trips and when I need them I really need them.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:04 am

I'm in your shoes right now too. Last few years I've been trying to break out of this funk I've been in my whole life of shooting 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks and CONSISTANTLY (not once every 5 years or w/e) start knocking down 3 1/2+ year olds here in PA. That is my goal. I know I've put in the hard work i just need a little added luck. No matter what new gagit or technique I hear about, everything always relates to this...

"The harder you work the luckier you get"

Teacher taught me that in school. That is like a constant law of life that I believe in. In any circumstance of life. Hunting, work, marriage, sports. Whatever. Its corny i know, we've all heard that saying but its truth.

I like another quote someone uses on here.

"Luck is when hard work and preparation meets opportunity."

I think that's how it goes. Haha. Well i just did a lot of rambling but you know what i mean! I'm just always challenging myself and have that goal in my head of what I want to do and i think to myself all the time what can i do today, right now? Go out and scout? Read the beast? Cyber scout? Shoot the bow? And I get to it and keep working. Never quit. Always looking forward to the next one.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:38 am

Last couple posts nailed it for me. I'm a big believer in moving forward, not maintaining...even if I've been successful :think:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed May 17, 2017 2:26 am

So I decided to spend more time in the woods this spring, and I just didn't have time with school and work to be on the beast. I didn't have a chance to make it to a scouting workshop. Which I'm really disappointed about, I'll try it again in the future...

I also picked up a new bow, I went in with no expectations or brand affiliation, and took the one I shot the best and felt the best. Ended up with an Elite. Went back to a whisker biscuit (can't fail) and a Fixed vertical pin sight. (Great sight picture, no moving parts to fail)
I also picked a 60lb bow instead of 70. I shoot much more comfortably and can hold at full draw for longer. Now I just need to get it tuned perfectly, and sighted in absolutely. This bow will be a killer, and hopefully stick around for a long time. I set it up strictly for hunting, instead of all the hype with the "pixie dust" I put quality, rugged proven accessories on it. And I think I can move forward with absolute confidence after I get it sighted in.

Making moves toward my goals. And that's how you achieve them.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm

8-) :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”