Tree stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ahepler2188

Tree stands

Unread postby Ahepler2188 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm

I've used a climber for a long time and I'm thinking of switching to a hang on. Few questions: are they hard to place in the dark?

Generally it takes me about 5-10 min to get in a tree with a climber how does that compare to putting in a hang on?

Lastly are they easy to carry in and out on every hunt?

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Tree stands

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I just went to hang ons this year. Takes a little time to get used to but it's not bad setting up in dark. The alternative is just using pre-sets (which we know isn't a great idea) or using climbers (which limits your tree selection). Hang on is the way to go I think. I purchased the Lone Wolf Assault. After hunting with the Lone Wolf, I feel foolish for purchasing crap stands before.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Lock-ons are a little more complex than climbers. You have to hoist the stand and strap it to the tree while hanging on using your climbing strap (lineman's belt). It is easy enough, just different.

Some lock ons are adjustable for crooked trees. That is handy.

Decide if you can sit on a small flat seat as long as you plan to sit during your hunts. I chose my lock on stands based on this - one is so-so, the other is comfy but not adjustable.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Most guys on here are hang-on guys, because of the versatility as Burkhart said. You can hang it in almost any tree. I think time to hang is roughly the same, once you get a system down. I think most sticks & stand packs better than most climbers also.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wihunter

Unread postby wihunter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Most guys on here seem to be able to put up a hang on pretty quick. I just started doing it this year and will be first to admit i'm glad no one saw me hanging it the first few times. As for hanging in the dark i have a small headlamp.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm

My assault 2 and four sticks are very easy to carry. Claw straps made it even easier. With practice they are just has efficient setting up. I had a lone wolf hand climber for years and I havnt used it in two years since switching to stand and sticks. Watch dans YouTube vids. That's the method I use. I must of practiced a hundred times the first summer I got them. When your in position to hang your stand , whatever side your stand is going on, have your leg on that side in the up position on your stick. You can rest your stand on your knee while strapping it. Just a small thing that might help
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:25 am

With practice I don't find it much harder in the dark than in the light, but you have to have a system and take your time. I think the hardest is in the dark and in the cold when you are layered up. That is challenging. I use my LW and sticks A LOT, but will take my climber any chance I get. It is easier for me to work with, 10X more comfortable and I sit much longer in the climber, but as most have said it doesn't always put you where you need to be.

The #1 thing that helped me setting up the sticks and stand was to make sure I am setting up on the correct side of the tree with the lean going away from me. I guess this is common sense but I tried a few times not thinking about it the other way and it was miserable.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”