Ground Hunting setups

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Ground Hunting setups

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am

JoeRE wrote:Here are a couple older threads about setting up on the ground...a ton of information in them.

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460&hilit=Ground+hunting

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35082&hilit=Ground+hunting

Thanks for the links Joe! Like you said, a TON of beastly information!!!
I'll be adding ground setups to my post season scouting for sure.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:47 am

JoeRE wrote:Here are a couple older threads about setting up on the ground...a ton of information in them.

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460&hilit=Ground+hunting

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35082&hilit=Ground+hunting

Epic threads for sure.

Thanks for digging them up.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 pm

I played around with ground set ups using a saddle this past year. I don't prefer to sit on the ground, because like you guys said, everything has to be perfect. And I think it's easier to get busted as well.. that said, some places don't have any trees to set up in at all or it's the only poplar in the willows and you'd get busted for sure. I set the saddle so the seat was just off the ground. I'll keep playing with it.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Another thing - a lot of people are talking about how to sit... whatever you do, make sure you can keep movement to a minimum as you get ready for a shot. I tend to sit on my knees during prime time, and during the slower parts of the day I still like to sit with my legs kinda off to the side so I can just kinda shift them under me and be up on my knees with minimal movement. If you are sitting in something like the turkey seat, you'll be fine if you are shooting a gun or crossbow, but you will have a problem (I am guessing) drawing and shooting a bow. Unless you are easily able to shimmy off of it with little movement - I have never used one so maybe it's possible?

One other tip, clear the leaves from your little "circle" so you can move your feet or shift your weight and not rustle the leaves.

Man this gets me excited to hunt from the ground again... but I have to wait 9 months! haha
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:34 pm

tgreeno wrote:I was thinking about using a turkey hunting seat for ground hunting for deer. It gets you off the ground but also leaves the low profile.

What do you guys think?

I've had that seat for years for turkey hunting. The few inches it gets you off the ground makes a small difference. I think it would work well for bowhunting if you had a short ATA compound bow or you hunt with a crossbow.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:37 pm

http://www.bowyersedge.com/treeseat.html

Here's a good tree seat for you DIY guys
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Hawthorne wrote:http://www.bowyersedge.com/treeseat.html

Here's a good tree seat for you DIY guys

I built something very similar. Mine uses longer rope loops on each side that I attach to the tree using a rachet strap through the loops of rope. The nice thing is that it allows you to swivel on the tree like the hammock seat. I also added a 1" foam pad on it for comfort.

It sits in the basement as it ties me to setting up on a tree. When I am hunting on the ground I don't want to be ties to setting up on a tree.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Keep in mind that if you are hunting where there are no trees, you will probably have a lot of weeds/grass and low sticks/saplings/brush. In these instances, I cannot use my turkey chair. I have a three leg fold up chair that goes in a bag. I strap it to my back for the walk in. It sits you up so you can see and shoot over the top of the grass/junk. Make sure whatever seat you use is quiet when you shift your weight! That is critical!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:56 pm

I started using this hammock seat the last few years for ground hunting.

http://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/product/hammock-seat/

Works great and very comfortable. Super light, compact and easy to carry by snapping the carry bag with carabiner on your belt loop.
88jeep

Unread postby 88jeep » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:04 pm

I hunt from the ground a lot. The best investment I ever made was a Millenium Treeseat. It weighs 4 pounds, straps to a tree and is the most comfortable seat I've found for hunting from the ground. I put backpack straps on it and I roll most of my gear up in my jacket and stuff it into the seat for walking in and out.
If it was easy it wouldn't be an accomplishment.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:04 pm

I did 3 or 4 ground hunts this year. Mostly because the wind was no good for where I wanted to be. I actually hung my XOP Stand as an observation stand but hunted on the ground with camp stool instead.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:34 pm

jwilkstn wrote:Those of you who have had success setting up and hunting from the ground, let's hear about your setups.

When using a natural blind, are you constructing it in advance? Are you using an already fallen tree or similar cover? Do you focus more on cover in front of you to hide behind, or background cover to hide your silhouette?

What kind of terrain/cover has this worked for you? In hill country, do you setup above where you expect to see deer?

What about your seat? Foam pad, chair, sling, tree seat? Does it work for bow and gun, or just gun?

I haven't seen a thread on this, and thought it might add to everyone's repertoire...

I make most of my ground blinds in advance, but if I'm busting a move somewhere and need to make one I will. To me going in blind to suspected bedding and killing from a tree is hard enough as it is... trying to get it done from the ground would be tougher yet. In that situation I could see myself with a stand on my back thinking "None of these trees work worth a crap" and reluctantly making something work on the ground rather than pick a tree where I'm slightly out of the game. Or the situation might be "Sweet! Blowdown in the perfect spot. Guess I'll ditch the tree stand idea." and I'll be confident with the set.

Sometimes my ground sets get me excited and I look forward to hunting them... blowdowns are my favorite. Unless you really screw up, have a lack of cover, or a deer gets way too close, they shouldn't pick you out in one. With the tangle of branches and limbs your outline gets broken up nicely, you have a log to sit on quite often, and often you can hang your bow on a limb too (which I prefer over a ground stake bow holder).

However, most of my ground blinds are there out of necessity. I enjoy hunting out of a tree more than being on the ground, but if a ground blind is the advantageous tactic for that spot, that's what I do. I will say it is super nice not having to carry a stand and go through set up/take down.

The beauty of the ground blind is you basically can set up anywhere. Especially on private if you don't have to worry about trimming laws or other people finding it and hunting out of it. I've set up in/on stacks of round bales, standing corn fields, behind trees, in dogwood thickets, in patches of tall grass, cattails, next to logs, and more... There really is no limit to what you can and cant do. You just need to realize that it is way tougher to blend in in some situations vs others. For example, cattails or shatter cane (8' tall hollow yellow cane) is WAY tougher than a blowdown or forest type area. Its harder to blend in with a constant light tan or yellow color and one vegetation type. BUT IT IS DO-ABLE. If you've got a dynamite spot and you've got zero trees and only one option for a ground blind, then try it! If you get busted then ask yourself why and try to fix the problem for next time. In the cattail/shatter cane situation, I would cut some big limbs and haul in to break up my outline. Anything to break things up a bit.

Over the years I've had numerous times where I'll think "Man I don't know if this is going to work! I'll probably get busted" Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's how you learn and gain confidence. Its like anything, after you do it a time or two the confidence will come. Ground hunting can be surprisingly easy.

I will say watching one direction is by far easiest if you're looking to build confidence on the ground. Keeping tabs all around you is no easy feat, but sometimes can't be avoided. You can watch pretty close to 180 degrees with eye movement alone, so don't watch by turning your head if you don't have to. When you get into trouble is when footsteps come in behind you and you need to turn and locate it, grab your bow, position for a shot, etc all without being seen. It's a lot to pull off when you're eye to eye. Speaking of that, whoever mentioned not making eye contact is absolutely right. I always block their head with the brim of my cap if they're looking my way, or at a minimum look down at the ground in front of them. Back in the day I decided to mess with a doe who was within 10 yards and looking at me trying to figure me out. I moved my eyes quickly to the left and her head and ears perked right up. 5 seconds later she was gone! All it took was the eye movement...

To answer another question, I think I would prefer to have more cover in the foreground vs background. Reason being, if cover is between you and the deer it will help hide movement. I do think it is situational though.

I don't have much for good advice pertaining to seats. I bring a small tripod chair if I bring anything at all.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 am

I would highly recommend Fred Asbell's book "Stalking and Still Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible"

https://www.amazon.com/Stalking-Still-H ... 0965770206
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:21 am

jwilkstn wrote:Those of you who have had success setting up and hunting from the ground, let's hear about your setups.

When using a natural blind, are you constructing it in advance? Are you using an already fallen tree or similar cover? Do you focus more on cover in front of you to hide behind, or background cover to hide your silhouette?

What kind of terrain/cover has this worked for you? In hill country, do you setup above where you expect to see deer?

What about your seat? Foam pad, chair, sling, tree seat? Does it work for bow and gun, or just gun?

I haven't seen a thread on this, and thought it might add to everyone's repertoire...

Lockdown's reply above is spot on I would say everyone who wants to do more ground hunting should read it 2 or 3 times! :D

A couple more things I can share for some of your questions. In hills, I often like to be set up at the same level or actually below where deer are traveling. The first reason is if you are set up above (but still on the ground) that often means you are sky lined which is bad news.

The second reason is that if you pick a setup near a ditch or ravine in the hills, falling thermals in the morning and evening are very consistent and pull your scent down that ditch. Unless there is a lot of wind fighting the thermals and causing swirl, its darn near foolproof. Just set up below the crossings. Obviously if you are there longer through the day and there are rising thermals then that is different...but I have even set up above trails until thermals switch and then just get up and walk down below them and set up again for the remainder of the evening.

It feels funny the first few times you watch deer come by ABOVE you (and if its a big buck holy adrenaline rush!) but if you have decent cover they can't spot you looking down like that any easier than other direction. You take mobility to another level when hunting from the ground versus hanging tethered to a tree.

Obviously visibility can be an issue when setting up down low like that, every situation is different so have to look at the pros and cons and don't be afraid to experiment that is how you learn like Lockdown said. I do have the 50 yard rule, I want to see deer 50 yards away coming in so I am ready. If they pop out at 20 yards and surprise me that's bad news.

Sometimes I do set up high - a couple spots that come to mind are where I actually climb up on top of a big boulder above travel routes - its basically my very own natural permanent elevated stand that puts me high enough above the deer not to be easily picked off. No doubt about it movement is something you can get away with more up in the air. But it doesn't need to be a deal breaker in many cases.

Almost every expert for the last 30 years has been saying you need a tree stand to kill deer so many hunters have been brainwashed into not trying anything else. I still bow hunt from a tree 50-70% of the time. But there are a lot of spots where a ground set up works. And man its nice walking into the woods, getting to a spot and just sitting down with no sticks, no stand, no tree saddle, or any of that.

Hunting from the ground with a gun gives you even more buffer between where the deer are and were you set up obviously. Gun hunting I almost never use a tree stand particularly in hill country when you can shoot from one ridge to another and that sort of thing. I think I have killed one or two deer out of a tree with a gun my whole life - a couple dozen from the ground. Every now and then I do find a spot where I just can't see from ground level so that means I climb a tree to gun hunt but its rare. Not to mention late season when I do most of my gun hunting these days its a lot colder 15-20' up a tree than on the ground!

I just realized most of my biggest bow bucks I have shot from the ground. Half a dozen slobs at least. I don't think its a coincidence because most of those setups allowed me to be in a spot I couldn't have if I NEEDED to hunt from a tree. I know some terrains make ground hunting very hard. If you are in the middle of a swamp you probably can't see a thing from the ground. I think hills are some of the easiest terrain to ground hunt because you can get below or above or whatever you need to be on the ground and visibility is usually pretty good.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 am

I rarely ever hunt from the ground. But this thread has definitely opened my eyes to the option for next year. I have a few spots in mind that I think would really work out well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”