saddle vs hang on

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waymore

saddle vs hang on

Unread postby Waymore » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:28 am

A lot of great hunters here and it seems like the majority here use hang ons. Considering the style of hunting here is being mobile have you tried or considered a saddle? Walking long ways through thick areas the saddle will reduce the carry weight and bulk and make it easier to travel. Maybe quieter also. I am curious because I am trying to dial in a system. I have been using a climber for the past many years but see the need for an alternative. Obviously the main guy Dan uses a hang on and has had great success. I have read some books from John Eberhart who also has had great sucess and he mentions if it wasnt for a saddle his kills would be far less.

Dewey

Re: saddle vs hang on

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 am

I hunted with a saddle for a few years before discovering LW stand/sticks and decided it just wasn't for me so I sold it. Nothing against them and they definitely have their advantages but I much prefer a hang on stand.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:03 am

They advertise saddle well. But I've never understood it. When you move your whole body has to move. Bark falling from tree, hitting limbs etc. I just do not really understand it.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:11 am

Probably more of a personal preference...I began deer hunting out of a saddle and will never get out of one...I feel the advantages are many..And frankly, they are just plain fun to hunt out of..I have the Newtribe aerohunter evo and love it...Very comfortable....Definitely try a saddle out and decide for yourself.

Chad
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:22 am

Do you use tree steps?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:22 am

I tried...but used minimalist saddle. Decided was not for me. Thought it was going to be awesome. Till I started spending lot of time in it.

Now...I did not spring for the $400 saddle which is probably completely different animal. I just found that the extra 12# stand was not that much of a bigger deal to carry in and it was easier to hunt and shoot out of.

My biggest complaint about the was my feet. Just killed them standing for 3hrs. On pegs. I am sure if I experimented more with that stuff...might figure it out. I tended to move quite a bit trying to get comfortable.

I thought I was going to love the minimalist saddle...but ended up much preferring my millenium.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:28 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:Probably more of a personal preference...I began deer hunting out of a saddle and will never get out of one...I feel the advantages are many..And frankly, they are just plain fun to hunt out of..I have the Newtribe aerohunter evo and love it...Very comfortable....Definitely try a saddle out and decide for yourself.

Chad

I'll be honest I just checked out the Newtribe Aerohunter video and that saddle really has me interested. The adjustability on it is amazing compared to my old Trophyline that I previously had. I never could get 100% comfortable in that one so the extra adjustability would be huge.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:49 am

They are nice Dewey..I know a lot of saddle guys use a fixed lenght bridge, but being able to adjust the bridge length , and tree strap-rope length really allows a ton of adjustment..Tie in height, diameter of tree etc all play a crucial role in comfort..

Additional adjustments on the saddle are fantastic and really allow you to remove pinch points. Essentiall increase or decrease the load in areas you deem need an adjustment..Once
dialed in I dont have to adjust anything, regardless of how much clothing I have on..

I only adjust bridge length or tie in height ...Sit all day no problem..I will also mention the quality is top notch...

Chad
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:58 am

I've been back and forth over the years with my saddle and gave up a time or two. I've had two different trophyline's, but I realize now they were a bit big for me size wise. I picked up an aerohunter before season and automatically figured out it was better since it was ADJUSTABLE based on layers, overall fit etc. My first hunt this year on the third day of season, I arrowed my first recurve buck hunting near bedding in the aerohunter. The system is awesome plain and simple, but it isn't something for everyone. It's taken me several years to get things perfected, but it was most certainly worth the time and effort.

Currently, I'm experimenting with a small platform to hunt from instead of the standard treesteps or ameristeps. So far, I think it's going to be the perfect blend of treestand and saddle hunting without all of the bulk from a standard LW system. I'm currently running a solid 10-12 pounds less with the DIY platform versus stand and sticks.

They are worth checking out for sure. Just don't give up too quick if things arent exactly the way you first perceived.
n.sampey

Unread postby n.sampey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 am

I sold my saddle this year, so i could buy a loc on for videoing purposes.... well that chapter is over, i will be going back to it next year
IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 am

I've been back and forth over the years with my saddle and gave up a time or two. I've had two different trophyline's, but I realize now they were a bit big for me size wise. I picked up an aerohunter before season and automatically figured out it was better since it was ADJUSTABLE based on layers, overall fit etc. My first hunt this year on the third day of season, I arrowed my first recurve buck hunting near bedding in the aerohunter. The system is awesome plain and simple, but it isn't something for everyone. It's taken me several years to get things perfected, but it was most certainly worth the time and effort.

Currently, I'm experimenting with a small platform to hunt from instead of the standard treesteps or ameristeps. So far, I think it's going to be the perfect blend of treestand and saddle hunting without all of the bulk from a standard LW system. I'm currently running a solid 10-12 pounds less with the DIY platform versus stand and sticks.

They are worth checking out for sure. Just don't give up too quick if things arent exactly the way you first perceived.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:06 am

I've been playing with a sit drag saddle off and on this season. There have been many kinks to work out with it, but the versatility of the saddle makes it worth it in my opinion.

This evening will be my first hunt with my new platform so looking forward to seeing how that goes. Standing on sticks and screw ins hasn't gone well.

Will likely go to an adjustable bridge before next season as well to help with comfort.

Packing sticks had also been a problem. May experiment with the Stepp ladders in the off season.
rff

Unread postby rff » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:36 am

I use both saddle and hang ons. My left knee continues to give me more and more problems. The saddle is very hard on it so I find that I'm using it less.

Some of pre set setups that are on edge of traditional bedding areas, I still prefer the saddle. I think I can sneak in and set up more quiet. However this is on private where I can use and leave tree steps in.

For being a mobile hunter, a good stand and sticks is hard to beat.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:36 am

Just don't think the minimalist saddle can really be changed all that much. Just really puts a lot of weight on your feet. Even with a platform to stand on. It is like standing and leaning agains a wall for 3hrs.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:07 pm

burkhart wrote:I like my sit drag. Adjustable bridge and a rope man made a big difference also good knee pads assist in not being on you feet.

Once I figure out a platform I'll be set stood on my top step this year... It wasn't bad but wasn't good either

I ve made a good carrying g system.p as well that helps in packing all the stuff in a compact fashion

Have you seen the xop seat type platform that the guys at saddle hunter have made? I'm gonna build one of those. Probably more like DaveT did

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”