Most preferred bed's???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hunter74

Most preferred bed's???

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 am

I was just reading through some of the best tactical thread's and thinking about all the beds I have found over the years. Now I don't have much first hand observation with this because a lot of times nothing shows when I hunt them. Still I have a lot of confidence in the beds because scouting has shown me they get lots of use year after year.

Anyway the question I started to ask myself is what beds are most preferred by the oldest bucks? Mainly is it the bed's in the little overlooked nook that most ppl walk by and the deer can keep tabs on what's going on? Or is it the remote beds in thick nasty stuff that no one ventures into?

Based on my scouting I think it's the remote thick and nasty beds that show sign of the biggest bucks. However I've had the most action out of the little overlooked spots, but they where 140-150" 3 1/2 yr olds. Not bucks I would pass but not the old warriors I'd like to get on.

So what are some of your thoughts?

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Most preferred bed's???

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:29 am

I don't think there's a cut & dry answer to that question. It could be either.

In my option, it's the bed they feel the safest in, because of the least amount of human intrusion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:12 am

Anyway the question I started to ask myself is what beds are most preferred by the oldest bucks?

Overwhelmingly, the beds I kill the biggest bucks at are the ones that make your jaw drop, then smile, then say to yourself "Wow, this is a great hiding spot, no one would ever look here!"
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:40 am

dan wrote:
Anyway the question I started to ask myself is what beds are most preferred by the oldest bucks?

Overwhelmingly, the beds I kill the biggest bucks at are the ones that make your jaw drop, then smile, then say to yourself "Wow, this is a great hiding spot, no one would ever look here!"

So in essence it's just the spots that almost never get bothered regardless of how close or far they are from human activity?

I guess what I meant is I have overlooked spots not too far away from other hunters but they don't actually bother the stuff I'm hunting. Then I have spots way out that I don't think anybody is getting within several hundred yards of and it would just make sence that the older bucks gravitate towered the stuff that has no human intrusion anywhere close
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:44 am

Yea, the REALLY don't like people.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:53 am

If you go out and map every single bed you find, then add it up on the big map you will really see how pressure and food is directly what coordinates the entire network of deer. We talk about how deer don't know what a property line is, but I can tell you that they do know in a way. I have found many mature buck beds right on the lines of public land, it has been an issue in some cases. The best tip for finding over looked spots is what Dan says - those little spots that are driven past to get to parking lots, water crossing, edges of restricted areas, ect... My most recent plain sight hidden buck is living in the back yard of an old lady in STL. He is un huntable but I told myself that's where I would live and sure as heck there he was! He comes back 2 hr after I bump him, everytime
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:19 pm

dan wrote:Yea, the REALLY don't like people.

LOL :doh:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”