Is Your Season Over?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Is Your Season Over?

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:52 am

Okay so there have been a few posts on here that reference the end of the season. But here in Rhody, we go all the way to the end of January. My buddy just told me that his dad is willing to let me hunt this PRIME piece of property that is surrounded by Indian preserve. So I feel like my season JUST started! Have not taken inventory on the property yet. I have only gone a hundred yards back on the property. But I have a feeling there are some deer in this area to kill unless someone is poaching them. Some feed back on what type of terrain to hunt would be nice! lol

Anyway back to the main topic. What are you guys focusing on as the end of the season nears. Are you focusing on the pine areas? Are you focusing on fields? Or are you guys focusing on next year?!

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Is Your Season Over?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 am

Sounds great - hope you make it work.

Go find the sign and go from there. You don't tell us what kind of terrain the property has.

My season was over Nov 6 when I drove home from SC for the last time. Season ended there on Jan 1.
I only hunt so much and overdid it this year attempting to get a deer (larger buck) that wasn't there no matter what the other guy said. Learned that deer will relocate if crop fields go fallow...

Focusing on 2017. Prepping for some off-shore and in-shore fishing, cyber and physical scouting for FL hunting 2017, and cyber scouting for KS hunting 2017.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 am

above is the aerial photo. The house to the left of the blue pin at the top is the house. to the right is the indian preserve. I didnt get that in the pictures. And the second house there has a tree stand almost on my friends property. He has a big field he likes to hunt.

This picture above is with a topo overlay from onx maps.where would you go?
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:02 am

Right now I'm focusing on getting ready for tommorow which is my last hunt of the season. According to the forecast the wind should be good and the cold should have deer hitting the fields earlier to feed. The camera on Sunday showed a decent 3 year old coming through along with a lot of does and fawns. Past year have shown fawns coming into estrus on this property the last week of December and the first week of January. Plus the landowner got several pics of the buck he missed about 100 yards off this stand last week. And I got pics of a different buck that I misjudged age wise coming through close by.
After tommorow scouting will begin for the upcoming season. I've got 2 buddies on standby for tracking/dragging tommorow night. They need the workout.
If I were you I'd concentrate on hot sign as it sounds like you're going in blind. Have you cyber scouted it at all?
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 am

I have til mid feb if I feel so inclined... I will be out next weekend for sure. Subsequent weekends are weather dependent.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:09 am

If there were any way you could check google earth for different time of year (time slider) and get one in the winter to see the cover better may be a big help. Worth checking just in case. Around here our latest taken is in late november and it really helps cyber scouting.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:12 am

vtbuck wrote:If I were you I'd concentrate on hot sign as it sounds like you're going in blind. Have you cyber scouted it at all?

Yeah I just posted a couple of pics. I like that little ledge at the 400 elevation there. But there is also a field that is next door to my friends house. His neighbor hunts it. I didnt go too far. My friends dad had the property recently surveyed and he said everything is marked. I am just not sure what terrain features are on his property, and what ones are not.

The one time I went, I only went in a little ways, but there is a beaten trail running through some small pines. And the day I went a few weeks ago, that trail had a few piles of scat at the end of it headed towards that field. But IDK if it was night sign or not. I dont have any trail cameras out. But I figure with the field at one end, and the preserve at the other, if I can get on this property between their beds on the preserve and the only field in the area, I should have a good shot at one. lol IDK what you guys think. I have a topo and aerial photo posted
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 am

cbay wrote:If there were any way you could check google earth for different time of year (time slider) and get one in the winter to see the cover better may be a big help. Worth checking just in case. Around here our latest taken is in late november and it really helps cyber scouting.

Yea it wont let me change the date from june of this year lol. No options unfortunately.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:27 am

2016 is over. Now the prep work for 2017 begins. Good luck!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:47 am

Our late Flintlock/archery season ends the 14th. My home area is extended till the 28th but I don't have tags left for there...

I have Monday and Tuesday left to hunt next week if I want. I really wanna hit the swamp and see what I see....Maybeeeeee take another doe. That place is crawling with them..I can use 1 more in the freezer. Also have another large piece I wanted to hunt with fresh snow but doesn't look like that's in the cards.

If I can talk my friend into hunting I'd like to get a buck passed him. If not I will likely hit the swamp next week...

Then into scouting. Really my priority is gunna be finding a house.

Late season can be great...But you kinda have to know what your deer do in the late season....Or, like me..Get together with a few guys and find the deer and get them on their feet...Late season drives can be effective and can teach you a lot about the deer and the land....
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Jrichard, any idea what's plant in the field and are the deer feeding in it?
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Season is over here in Michigan .2017 season started today for me scouting wise...Late bow scout and hunt in Ohio last week of January so I am not quite done hunting yet..

Chad
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:30 pm

This is the last week of buck hunting in Tennessee. Next week is a 5 day doe only hunt on private land. I probably took my last buck hunt of the year yesterday, but I hope to take another doe or two if time and weather allows.

Good luck on the new place.
Not all those who wander are lost...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Wisconsin bow season ends Jan 8th. I have a few more hunts planned. The weather is cold and hopefully the deer will be moving! I'm going to hit-up some pines next to a corn field. And one last buck bed hunt.

Then the following week 2017 scouting season officially starts. Even though I typically scout year round anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:53 pm

vtbuck wrote:Jrichard, any idea what's plant in the field and are the deer feeding in it?

Not sure, I will ask my friend if he knows. He shovels their roof when it snows. lol I think its just a field that he has there with clover and grass. when I went in september it didnt look like it had much of anything. I think I remember him saying he puts some throw n grow down to try to keep the deer out of his wifes garden lol. Made me laugh.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”