Season of highs and lows..Ended on a high

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Season of highs and lows..Ended on a high

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:37 am

My 2016 season was crazy looking back at it. It is one that will leave me with numerous memories.

Archery season I had numerous encounters with mature bucks. Many of you know, on Halloween, I got an arrow in one. He ended up surviving the hit. I killed a coyote, a longbeard, a doe and a gray fox with my bow. Passed on several bucks.

Rifle season came..The opener I passed 2 small 1.5yo bucks. Don't know where the bigger bucks were..Noone from camp seen any of them.

At home pushing with a few buddies, I passed on several more small bucks.

Many of you know I whiffed a 20yd shot with a scoped rifle....I'm still dumbfounded lol. I don't know what happened.

After that, I hit another buck. I am certain I hit behind the shoulder but I know he was quartering away. I am betting he was quartering away more than I thought and I was too far forward...Long story but he got onto land I can't access. He traveled far enough and didn't bleed a ton I'm not certain that shot was fatal enough to recover. Very possible it went between the shoulder and rib cage and left him very sore. I was sick. Disgusted.

Flintlock season came. It's my favorite season and favorite weapon. Last spring I spent 5 months building a rifle. It turned out to be very accurate. I was happy with how it turned out for the first rifle I built.

I hunted 2 days at my buddies camp. Lots of doe...A couple small buck...We never seen a decent buck..I never got a good shot at a doe..If I did it wasn't safe or I couldn't be sure it wasn't a button buck...

I came home and hunted with a buddy...A doe and her little one came up to me...I centered the sights on the doe and touched off the flintlock. She went 50yds down the hill and collapsed. My first deer with the Flintlock I built!!

This Sunday I knew I had to see a doctor...My ears hurt for about a week and we're now on fire...Being New Year's day, nothing was open.

Monday I woke up and went to the Doctor. Took longer than expected but of course, double ear infections. Called my buddy and told him I was running late. I knew Tuesday was a washout so I was hunting lol...

2nd push of the day he wanted to push a pretty dang big block...I told him it's gunna take a lot of luck for it to work with 2 shooters and 1 dog in woods that big...

I sat and had 8-10 doe come by. Figured with all those doe I better hold my fire...

They all went up the hill to my left. I kept seeing deer dancing around up there...I didn't think much of it..Figured it was the same doe I already seen.

Deer started coming off the hill back to me. First was a cow of a doe. She saw my breath and got antsy. Sights on her chest about to touch off the gun... Debating if I wanted to take a doe or not..Another doe came...More deer coming.

I realize one has antlers...Wait! The entire hill of deer behind her has antlers!

She is NERVOUS. Head bobbing and stomping. I remained as still as possible.

She trotted a bit to my right and was real nervous at that point. The high humidity and misty fog kept my scent pooling I think..

I know the first buck or 2 was small. I honestly can't tell you how many buck I could see...

I focused on what looked to be the biggest...I could see his left side looked BIG. Looked like a half rack.

I didn't care...A mature buck in the late Flintlock season is not easy to come by in PA.

Don't know why but he came to about 30yds and stopped when he realized the doe was nervous. He should have seen that long before and never came to me..

I verified he had 3 legal points shoved the brow tine and touched the gun off.

The humidity and lack of wind kept the plume of smoke in my face. Through the smoke I thought I saw him topple over.

I take my time and clean and reload my rifle.

My buddy showed up and we snuck over....Sure enough he was down!!!

He ended up being a 4x1. Broken off right side leaving about a 6" stump. G2 on the left side was broken. His beam is around 18" and had he had the other side and it grew about the same width, he'd been around 20" inside. Measured from the inside to center of his skull is just over 10".

I couldn't get over the body size and lack of good rack. Even if he had both sides, he'd been pretty "scrappy" no mass or tine length. His body was that of a mature 3.5+to buck. His feet were big...

Don't know why he grew a scrape rack but I am confident he's 3.5+yo.

I was thrilled. Not many bucks get killed in Flintlock season here. He is my 3rd. My buddy and I make a pretty deadly team. He is a heck of a deer dog...And I have a knack for finding the spot to get em killed. I sat at that spot because it was the top 1/3rd elevation...There was a saddle up the ridge..The spot was covered in buck sign...

Not sure my season is over...I have 2 more days and 2 doe tags...But being my buck tag is filled, I consider it over and on a very high note.

Thought you guys would enjoy the story and recap...Maybe learn from it...When a season of lows and blows hit you, press on and get through it. It can turn around in the blink of an eye. I am the type that gets upset and frustrated by the lows. Getting a shot at a mature buck in PA isn't an every day occurrence. To get a shot at 3 and blow them all...I was crushed. Beating myself up. Looking back I'd still take all 3 of those bad shots. I'd aim a little different in hindsight...But I don't feel any were bad shots that I shouldn't have taken. Lots of lessons learned.

Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Season of highs and lows..Ended on a high

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:22 am

First off congrats.. Second....That flintlock is awesome. I love those guns..
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:25 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:26 am

Awesome man. Glad it finally worked out for you. Looks like an old stud to me.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:57 am

awesome job mauser.. such fine examples of perseverance you showed this season really motivate me..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:17 am

Very cool. Gotta feel good killing em' with a flintlock that you built. Congrats. :clap:
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:30 am

Thanx all!!

That's the best feeling... Carrying a gun that was a pile of prettt rough cast parts and a hunk of wood kinda shaped like a gun stock...I had nearly no idea what I was doing...I was in over my head. Literally from March through July I worked on it atleast a few hours every other day typically...So, maybe 10hrs a week...A lot of it was starting at it in confusion lol. Lots of sweat into that stock...As well as my own blood. When carving hard maple you need extremely sharp chiseles...Lol.

It's an amazing feeling killing deer with a rifle I put together. I've always loved hunting with a flintlock...Now I'm in love with building them...As soon as I find a house I am planning to start the next build.

When it comes to anything in life, I'm a stubborn turd...I get frustrated and annoyed easily...But that also fuels my fire. Keeps me pressing on. Sometimes I have to take a step back for a day or 2. But I press on. Turkey hunting taught me that..Those stupid birds. It's easy to walk away and give up. I rather press on and learn from my mistakes and failures. It shapes who I am..

I stopped posting my face on the internet for personal reasons...But cropped a few pics for you guys...

Our game commission sales deer weight tapes. Supposedly they were developed by our biologists after weighing and measuring PA deer. A few guys I know say they've tested them against scales and they are accurate within 5-10lbs...I've never tested it...But he taped out just over 200lbs on the hoof...That's a slob mid-winter, post rut and no standing crops around to quickly pack the pounds back on.

I will post pics of the skull when I finish it.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:42 am

Congratulations Mauser!
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:24 am

Very nice
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 am

Nice job!!! I am so bad with a flintlock i am better off throwing it at the deer!! Looks like you dont have that issue!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:53 am

Congrats man, looks like a real warrior of a buck!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 am

Great way to end the season! :clap: :clap: On a high note.

You're on your way to an awesome 2017 season and it is still 9 months+ out.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:53 am

That thing is so cool!!! Plus that buck ain't bad either!!!!
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:55 am

Spectacular! :clap: :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:35 am

Here's a couple more pics of the rifle with the doe I shot last week.

It was a great learning experience. I didn't intend to build a gun...I found an aftermarket replacement barrel for a Thompson Center...Found an after market curly maple stock and aftermarket steel furniture. I figured since it was all called replacement Thompson center parts it'd all go right together...Finish the stock and screw the parts on and have a rifle...

Boy was I wrong lol.

That's the stock prior to me working on it....The barrel was already blued....The rest of the furniture was wax cast steel that needed a good bit of filing, sanding, bending, holes drilled and countersunk etc...Had to blue it all....I poured the nose piece on the stock with pewter.

It was very enjoyable... Frustrating...Time consuming...Dragging a buck out killed with that rifle was an amazing feeling...

She's accurate too...I'm shooting 300gr Thor bullets with 100grs of 3fg Goex black powder under it.

My next rifle will be a true Pennsylvania longrifle... Probably a 58cal roundball gun.

Few more pics...The finish is amazing... Almost holographic... Different lighting changes the looks of it...The finish is an acid with dissolved iron in it..When applied to the stock and heated it pops the curl...It's pretty cool stuff...Those ole timers used the same finish.

Last edited by mauser06 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”