Bed Near Parking Lot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gander08
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/david.hagan.944

Bed Near Parking Lot

Unread postby gander08 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:09 am

This past week I did some rabbit hunting with our friends kids and noticed some fresh scrapes and massive rubs near a public parking area. I could follow the tracks in the snow and noticed the went through the cattails towards a lone tree in the marsh. This buck is obviously bedding there, but I have a feeling he may not make it to the mainland (near the parking lot) until after dark. I don't plan on hunting this spot until next year, but would like to start thinking about a game plan now. How would you hunt this spot?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bed Near Parking Lot

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 am

gander08 wrote:This past week I did some rabbit hunting with our friends kids and noticed some fresh scrapes and massive rubs near a public parking area. I could follow the tracks in the snow and noticed the went through the cattails towards a lone tree in the marsh. This buck is obviously bedding there, but I have a feeling he may not make it to the mainland (near the parking lot) until after dark. I don't plan on hunting this spot until next year, but would like to start thinking about a game plan now. How would you hunt this spot?

I would follow his tracks to and from his bed and look for the best spot to kill him on the exit trail, plan it now, hunt him next fall.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:36 am

depending on his entry route and all that, I would climb in that tree he beds under in the morning. Just avoid where you think he is going to come in from. That is if you cant get him exiting before dark.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 am

Sounds like you don't have a good tree to hunt out of. First I would get in there and scout it hard in the next few months. Set up a trail cam possibly, before antlers drop. Try to find the best spot to see him and ambush him.

If you can't find a tree that works, I would try to find a good spot near his bed in the cattails that you can setup a shooting lane in. Preferably, 75- 125 yards away from the known bed, a deadfall could be very useful for making a ground blind, cover and funneling. The spot you set up in needs a good seperate entry exit route that the buck doesn't use.

Lastly, don't over hunt it. Once, during early bow once during rut and once during late season. It could be a bed that he uses only during this time of year.

Good luck! I've also noticed that bucks that bed near parking areas watch those parking lots. You might have to park somewhere else or walk a giantic loop to keep the buck clueless.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 am

Jrichard wrote:depending on his entry route and all that, I would climb in that tree he beds under in the morning. Just avoid where you think he is going to come in from. That is if you cant get him exiting before dark.

Sounds good in theory, but every buck I have hunted that was worth going after in the morning, circled in from down wind and scent checked the bed before entering. And if that don't do enough to make you fail, outside of the rut, most of the time they arrived while it was still dark and blew out before I could see them... I like evenings if possible, if not, get em further away from the bed in the am, like where they j-hook and hope they come in daylight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”