2017 goals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

2017 goals

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 am

What are your goals and more importantly how are you gonna get there? I'll start; I want a 125" it doesn't matter if it's a rifle or bow kill. I'm gonna get there by expanding my territory here in northern Michigan, and also making a rut trip to Nebraska. Here I'm planning on hunting scrape lines near bedding areas during archery and the beginning of rifle season and ideally we'll have snow to track during rifle season. I'm gonna push into bigger more remote tracts where the deer will have an opportunity to get big. Also continue to get in better shape because I think snow tracking is the highest odds way of killing deer especially big deer in big woods low density areas. At one point this season I went 3 weeks without seeing a single deer and have many times where cameras didn't get a pic for over a week. But I think my best chance will be during a rut trip to Nebraska. I won't be able to prescout Nebraska but I plan on picking a few public properties, cyber scouting and probably gonna live like a homeless man in my truck for a week for a week so I can easily pick up n move to better spots if need be. I'm gonna have to rely on cyber scouting, which I'd prefer not to do but it's not a perfect world. Biggest thing I'm planning is not hunting anytime I don't feel like I have good odds if that means not hunting for a week and just scouting then I'll do that. Im shooting for pny in Nebraska but if a 100" gives me an opportunity he'll get an arrow through him, at home I'll probably shoot any legal buck.

cedarsavage
500 Club

Re: 2017 goals

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:20 am

The other game changer I forgot about is learning to shoot back tension. I owe that to mainebowhunter for explaining the importance of learning it, it's helping me get past my target panic
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:25 am

My goals for this year is to go all in with beast tactics. I've done plenty of scouting over the last couple years and will add to it this winter/spring. By then, I should have a sufficient number of spots to get me through the season. I've already purchased a Lone Wolf and will acquire some sticks before season. I will mix that up with continuing to expand on my ground hunting with the ghillie which was very successful during the limited hunting time I had this year. My main goals are to 1) kill a bigger buck than I did this year; 2) see if I can also work in a trip to Missouri, even if I have to go by myself.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:22 am

2 goals - be successful in FL and be successful in KS.

In FL I will shoot the first legal deer that presents an opportunity. I know exactly what I'm getting into and need to change my approach to the Beast techniques.

In KS I think 100 inches or better is what I'm hoping for. Never been there, won't put feet on the ground until I arrive with a stand on my back.

Have to do some conditioning and a lot of learning & FL scouting in between now and then.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:36 am

To shoot a mature buck!

It's the same goal I have every year. I will scout harder & smarter! Find more buck beds!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:07 am

Find more buck beds, kill a mature deer, be able to either shoot one coming out of his bed or shoot a late season snow on the ground mature buck. Get my brother on a deer. Shoot 2 turkeys with the bow
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:01 am

2017 goal: 2 archery kills

Kill a 3.5+ with my bow on a public bed hunt. Early season would be icing on the cake.

Kill a doe with my bow on MN public.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 am

Found the Beast around Sept. so 2017 will be my "first" beast year...
1) find more public and/or gain access to private, access to landlocked
2) spend time online to prepare a scout
3)pre-register a campsite for So. mn( too far to daily drive and full-up in 2016)
4)fine tune what I've learned (dont forget the simple things while adding more info)
5)Be ready to float in
6)shoot farther distances practicing
7)scout while snow disappears/before green-up
8) first bowkill
9) slow down and have fun!!!(too compulsive)

Dont expect to have it altogether, but the short time I spent w/the Beast helped me big time this year, cant wait for next...be here before we know it
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:06 am

Lockdown wrote:2017 goal: 2 archery kills

Kill a 3.5+ with my bow on a public bed hunt. Early season would be icing on the cake.

Kill a doe with my bow on MN public.

Are you going to South Dakota in 2017
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:55 am

Same goal as every season, mature buck with a bow. Still have a few weekends to make it happen for the current season.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:47 am

Scout then go scouting and scout some more. Did I mention go scouting.

Try to connect all the dots while scouting to have plenty of options for stands/blinds picked and ready for hunts.

Apply what ever tactic it takes to hunt the best spots found scouting. Some may just be doe spots, because I had a hard time finding does consistently this year.

Work more on improving my bow shooting. Get the kinks out of my treestand system.

If possible get a legal draw weight selfbow and arrows made. Then shoot a doe with it.

If I can afford it get a Hawken style muzzleloader. Maybe do a kit.

Have FUN !!!!!!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:05 am

Come up with a better process and plan.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:10 am

Get physically healed.
Get physically healed.

Did I say get physically healed? Because right now I am a mess.

IF I can get healed up in time I want to scout, scout and scout in the spring.

Try to make a good food plot and make some "natural" blinds in areas I find scouting in the early summer and summer.

Get physically healed!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:13 am

exojam wrote:Get physically healed.
Get physically healed.

Did I say get physically healed? Because right now I am a mess.

IF I can get healed up in time I want to scout, scout and scout in the spring.

Try to make a good food plot and make some "natural" blinds in areas I find scouting in the early summer and summer.

Get physically healed!

Good luck on that Exo!!! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:17 am

Since I fullfilled my goal in 2016 of killing a hill country buck in Iowa I would like to build from that and do the same in WI. Really wish I had started that 30 years ago but this old dog loves learning new tricks.

Keep perfecting my gun season snow tracking skills. I am getting pretty good at identifying and deciding which tracks to follow but still have a lot to learn if I want to ultimately kill a good mature buck. My biggest issue right now is finding enough good bucks to track so seeking better locations is also at the top of my to do list.

Scouting is a never ending process so this won't change but being more efficient is something I am always trying to get better at.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”