Hope I am right....waiting until tomorrow...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lastcast#1

Hope I am right....waiting until tomorrow...

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Shot a doe this morning on Michigan public...Waiting until am to hopefully find her..
Been a crazy bow season for me, my second..Killed my first deer, a buck. Killed a doe. Missed a big 10 pt Nov 11...Missed a doe due to a branch..Had another arrow deflection on another doe..

A lot of education thats for sure..

Hit a nice doe at 8:30 this morning on Michigan public. 27 yards, broadsde..Port side..Left side facing the rear end for the land lubbers out there.Thought the shot was good, maybe a little back.. She took off immediately...Waited an hour and climbed down..

Couldnt find any blood at the shot..Picked it up about 30 yards away..Drip drip..Not a lot but consistant...Followed her thru the thicket and found where she entered the large cattail marsh.More blood now..Left side only it appeared.. Blood on the ground and blood on the catttails about thigh high..

This is the first real track job I have ever done..My first 2 deer were easy..You are faced with many decisions..I made one based on what I saw and it might turn out to have been a mistake.

It had been 2.5 hours since the shot and I figured I had a dead deer out in the tails...I decided to pursue into the marsh..Blood was pooling a bit now, maybe an 8-10 circle when she stopped..
Blood on the tails looked like a couple swipes with a paint brush..Nothing crazy, but she was bleeding..I had not found the arrow at this point so I was keeping my eye out for it..

Anyhow, the long and short of it is I jumped her out of a bed about a 100 yards furthur..She tore off and I thought it looked and sounded like she looped around back to the same trail we came in on. Heading east now instead of west..I was 4 yards away from her when she bolted..

"Thats it" I said, and slowly backed out...On the way back I noted she had infact went right back down the trail..Blood on both sides now..Found the arrow , entact, bright red blood the full length..
I also found where she turned off the trail headed south...

Noted the trail, and went home..
Buddy and I are headin out in am....Hope we find her..Its been a season of many firsts..Many firsts that I wouldnt expect to happen in one season..

Part of hunting..I feel poorly but no matter what happens I will know I did everything I could to recover her..Just had to run thru this in my head beasts....sorry so long..I guess the lesson here is I had time..Probably should have waited once I found her entrance into Marsh..Time will tell..

Start of my post season scouting with tracking a deer tomorrow..

Regards.

Chad

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Hope I am right....waiting until tomorrow...

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Good luck, I hope you find her!
Joe™
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Keep us posted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 pm

If you jumped her you made the right call by backing out
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:29 am

Long story short we went out again this am..5 hours...We were able to find where she bedded down last...Pool of blood, melted snow etc..Well, we could absolutely not find any blood leading out of this bed..Nor tracks .Well used runs...Went home and returned again at noon..Just finished..No dice..Walked every trail leading out of that bed for hundreds of yards in all directions..Nada..

I just wanted to feel like I had exhausted all of my efforts...I have, and I feel good about how hard I have looked...Hope she lives....I suppose nothing goes to waste in the woods, but it still sucks..Love these animals..

Chad
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:47 am

Sorry man!!!

If you can get back in the area in a few days. Look for crows. I know she'll be spoiled if you find her, but you may get some answers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”