Driving deer in the public marsh.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Driving deer in the public marsh.

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:34 am

NNIICCEE!!!!!

I can't tell from the aerial, but are there pockets of brush out in the tails, or is this one of the spots you talk about having just high spots out in the tails being used as bedding.

Are these beds only used during the high pressure of gun season?
EastCoast

Unread postby EastCoast » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:51 am

Pretty cool. It'd be even cooler if I didn't have to shut the volume off to watch these videos with my kids.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks for sharing. My boy enjoyed it too. He can't wait to start hunting.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:16 am

stash59 wrote:NNIICCEE!!!!!

I can't tell from the aerial, but are there pockets of brush out in the tails, or is this one of the spots you talk about having just high spots out in the tails being used as bedding.

Stash, about 95% of that section is catails. There are two spots that are brushy. You can see them in the arial. Most of the deer we jump are bedded in the catails. We did kill another buck later in the week in the same spot.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:19 am

I have sat that spot and watched Jeff Trudell walk and disappear multiple times, broke thru and sunk to waist. You really need to be careful when you walk these spots.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:32 am

Its high spots in the cattails they are bedding on in this spot. very little dogwood in this spot.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 am

Jeff G wrote:I have sat that spot and watched Jeff Trudell walk and disappear multiple times, broke thru and sunk to waist. You really need to be careful when you walk these spots.

Yep... The video really don't give the perception of just how nasty that stuff is.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:57 am

dan wrote:
Jeff G wrote:I have sat that spot and watched Jeff Trudell walk and disappear multiple times, broke thru and sunk to waist. You really need to be careful when you walk these spots.

Yep... The video really don't give the perception of just how nasty that stuff is.

Nasty?! :think: Is that what we're calling it??? I have a few better words I could use but I think I'd get banned here... ;)
But boy are they in there! Don't be afraid of getting a little wet and working your tail off. You'll be rewarded! Or at least you'll entertain your hunting partners. :lol:
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:41 am

The deer are using those beds well before gun season. There are networks of trails and rubs between and on the islands. You'd be surprised at the amount of sign out there and most hunters have no idea it even exists. Before 5 years ago I never would have ventured out in that stuff myself. It's wet, thick, and hard work to get through. The reward is worth it if you put in the effort. That same day we shot a couple does on subsequent drives and I shot a small 6 point a week later about 100 yds from where Dan shot the 12. A lot of times you just about step on the deer to get them moving as they are holding tight in those beds. It's become my favorite way to gun hunt because of the amount of action. Dan has assembled a great group of guys that know where to go and what to do. It's important that everyone is on the same page out there since you really can't see in the cattails.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:09 pm

How did the beds get found? Spring scouting or just observing the bucks come out of there on bow hunts along the transition. Any keys as to whether a similar looking area has bed or not.

Probably just follow the trails. Like Dan said in the videos. They ain't going in the tails to feed. So bedding is the likely answer.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:14 pm

stash59 wrote:How did the beds get found? Spring scouting or just observing the bucks come out of there on bow hunts along the transition. Any keys as to whether a similar looking area has bed or not.

Probably just follow the trails. Like Dan said in the videos. They ain't going in the tails to feed. So bedding is the likely answer.

Found most of these areas either scouting or hunting. Following trails from the woods into dead end cattails you can pretty be sure there is beds out there.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't have any swamps around me but I assume the same principles could be used on a 2 yr old clear cut in hill country?
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:22 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:I don't have any swamps around me but I assume the same principles could be used on a 2 yr old clear cut in hill country?

Yep.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:20 am

Nice video thanks for sharing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”