Do you ever get that feeling?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WISCOANDY

Re: Do you ever get that feeling?

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:58 am

CallMeFishmael wrote:The information available here through the internet is interesting. It is the only way I would have learned all that I have learned through this site. However, now that I have, there is a part of me that wants to keep it a secret! Any way it can become a secret society or something?? :? :lol:

I'm keeping the knowledge to my inner circle.

CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:12 am

The interesting thing about the spot is that I found it while scouting two days after rifle season. I saw some fresh tracks going down a beaten path into the cattails. So I followed them back and jumped a buck out of the bed. So bucks are definitely using the area and that is what got me looking around for a kill tree. So maybe it isn't being hunted all that much or at the wrong time? Pressure bed maybe? I didn't see the buck as he crashed out the back door, but there was a big high rub in the bed. So maybe I just need to ignore the tree markings and hunt it when I see fresh sign there or after rifle season. Yesterday was 12/31 and there were fresh deer tracks all over out there. So they are definitely using the area a lot. It is a curious situation though.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:55 am

I find sign of other hunters everywhere I hunt. Some is from years ago, some is new. It changes every year. I can usually pattern the hunter pretty quick and work around them. I know there are Beast hunters that are hunting the same woods. Some may be regulars n others lurkers here. The good thing is that guys hunting this way are mobile and our paths seldom cross. Most Michigan public land hunters set a permanent stand and bait it. After a few recon trips around the public its not hard to figure out who they are. They always park in the same area and are there everyday.

I also know there are hunters that know how to kill bucks out there that arent Beast guys. I have talked with a few and know of a couple through friends. I also find there sign. Its funny how you can figure out a guy youve never seen by the type of sign he leaves. One guy used red yarn to mark his areas. I found his yarn in every area I went all over the county. Another drives a gold truck n he is the same way. Ill see him everywhere.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:35 pm

CallMeFishmael wrote:The interesting thing about the spot is that I found it while scouting two days after rifle season. I saw some fresh tracks going down a beaten path into the cattails. So I followed them back and jumped a buck out of the bed. So bucks are definitely using the area and that is what got me looking around for a kill tree. So maybe it isn't being hunted all that much or at the wrong time? Pressure bed maybe? I didn't see the buck as he crashed out the back door, but there was a big high rub in the bed. So maybe I just need to ignore the tree markings and hunt it when I see fresh sign there or after rifle season. Yesterday was 12/31 and there were fresh deer tracks all over out there. So they are definitely using the area a lot. It is a curious situation though.

I found a similar spot scouting late gun season and was surprised at the fresh deer sign. But its also a pretty heavily hunted part of the state game area. Knowing we hunt/scout the same section of the county, maybe we are talking about the same area? Not many areas with cattails around here.
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:44 pm

DaHunter wrote:
CallMeFishmael wrote:The interesting thing about the spot is that I found it while scouting two days after rifle season. I saw some fresh tracks going down a beaten path into the cattails. So I followed them back and jumped a buck out of the bed. So bucks are definitely using the area and that is what got me looking around for a kill tree. So maybe it isn't being hunted all that much or at the wrong time? Pressure bed maybe? I didn't see the buck as he crashed out the back door, but there was a big high rub in the bed. So maybe I just need to ignore the tree markings and hunt it when I see fresh sign there or after rifle season. Yesterday was 12/31 and there were fresh deer tracks all over out there. So they are definitely using the area a lot. It is a curious situation though.

I found a similar spot scouting late gun season and was surprised at the fresh deer sign. But its also a pretty heavily hunted part of the state game area. Knowing we hunt/scout the same section of the county, maybe we are talking about the same area? Not many areas with cattails around here.

No, this one was on a different section of public. But what you're saying does not surprise me. It is heavily hunted for sure, but there are a lot of places for those deer to hide.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Sometimes the best beast tactics are the unspoken ones :whistle:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”