Do you ever get that feeling?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CallMeFishmael

Do you ever get that feeling?

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:20 am

...that another beast member is in your area? For the last few times I have been out scouting, I will find a really good looking spot with a few beds and trails that feed out 50 or 60 yards. I will look around and say to myself "This tree looks like the spot." I will look up and I can tell there had been a tree stand in that spot...

I guess in Michigan with 375,000 bowhunters, I should not be surprised. However, it is always kind of a let down to find that. You can't out-walk or out-scout people here. So how do you guys feel about wanting to hunt spots once or twice a year, but knowing that other people are in there a bunch too? What tactics do you use at that point? They seem to be setting up on the same beds and bedding areas I am finding.

Dewey

Re: Do you ever get that feeling?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:35 am

I see that quite often. Much more in recent years. Also see a lot more footprints in bedding areas while spring scouting where I have never seen other people before. This is why I am constantly scouting and seeking out new spots.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:46 am

Nope. I purposely avoid areas with high beast hunter densities.

Seriously. I'm not coming to WI. :naughty: :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:16 am

I havnt noticed it yet in my area. Most stands are in traditional areas. When I start seeing dudes with lone wolfs and sticks at parking areas I'll know lol. Havnt seen that yet either
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:33 am

Yea. Most are nonresidents coming in from WI and MN :lol:

I don't mind too much, they only get to hunt here every 3 years or so and I am here all the time. Most Iowa bow hunters are pretty lazy.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:50 am

Yes I do, bite marks on a tree are always tell tell signs.

I feel a lot of people hunt before it is right an burns a spot. You actually spend more time trying to find some where others are not. You have to plan your moves too.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 am

I think the term you are referring to is the dan infalt or hunting beast affect on your hunting area ;) ;)
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:52 am

Yes, most definitely. I found a bed last year, backed off picked a tree and noticed tree stand marks and step marks on the tree :lol: . That's happened a time or two.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Yes, most definitely. I found a bed last year, backed off picked a tree and noticed tree stand marks and step marks on the tree :lol: . That's happened a time or two.

:shifty: :whistle:
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:55 pm

PK_ wrote:Nope. I purposely avoid areas with high beast hunter densities.

Seriously. I'm not coming to WI. :naughty: :lol:

Yup. WI sucks! Don't waste ur time here. No deer here anyways.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Same story different day for me too. I usually end up finding stand marks in 3 or 4 trees a year. Alot of the spots I hunt are just not big enough to loose everyone. I think this year I got messed-up more by others than ever before. I ended up hunting more overlooked spots than way back spots because of pressure this year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Seems like I can't get passed pressure. I've tried hip boots, canoe, walking a long way and have only hit on a few ok places. One area I map scouted a good place and setup on a dry patch and saw a deer get up off of it. Appeared to be a good buck. Come dark I go to get down and see 2 other lights around. Oh and I went in by canoe. The only way to get back there without miles and miles of walking is boat. Just can't seem to get away from people
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:30 am

The information available here through the internet is interesting. It is the only way I would have learned all that I have learned through this site. However, now that I have, there is a part of me that wants to keep it a secret! Any way it can become a secret society or something?? :? :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:38 am

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Yes, most definitely. I found a bed last year, backed off picked a tree and noticed tree stand marks and step marks on the tree :lol: . That's happened a time or two.

:shifty: :whistle:

I have climbed more than one tree and found a bow hanger screwed in the tree already. :think:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:40 am

When I find a set up tree at a bedding area that has been used in recent years, I say to myself I am looking in the wrong areas... Even in the marsh behind my house that has become a beast haven cause everybody knows I live and hunt here, I can find classic bedding areas that are not being hunted.

If your finding set ups in every spot, or the majority, plain and simple, your looking at the wrong spots. Big bucks don't bed and live where they are being hunted, and if they do, they die before they become big... Try harder to view the property as "where don't people go" and less as "I need to get further back".

In heavy pressure areas 90% of my big buck kills are right next to the road. No, not cause Im lazy, its because thats where the big bucks are, and the people are not...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”