How long till success at being a BEAST!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: How long till success at being a BEAST!

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Short answer, 1 year.

Long answer.

I joined September 2013. I had been spring scouting since 2010 thanks to reading the John Eberhart books. Fall 2013 was my first year as a mobile hunter. It was a rough year full of botched, clumsy, setups. I thought bed hunting was an insane man's pursuit, but I was seeing more bucks than previous years despite all the challenges, so I decided to stick with it.

In 2014, I hit it hard in the spring. My bed scouting was pretty terrible and unrefined, but I managed to find a few but wasn't able to read the sign enough to capitalize on a true early season bed hunt that fall. Being mobile did get me my biggest buck to that point, and I was getting more stealthy and more confident. Later that season I had a close call with my #1 target buck. It was the only time I ever saw him on the hoof, and I believe I was within 100yds of one of his main beds.

In 2015, I killed 3 bucks, including my biggest (avatar buck) and had by far my best season ever. Beast, beast, beast. 2 of the 3 bucks I attribute 100% to things I learned on the beast. I am very proud of the first one which was a "lull" buck killed just outside of a known bedding area on October 11th. This marked my transition to full beast disciple and 100% believer! Even the third buck was probably attributable to beast as the result of keeping a good spot until later and hunting it under ideal conditions. Confidence was higher than ever by the end of 2015.

In 2016, I feel like I progressed but the results weren't there...I also upped my standards and challenged myself by hunting a lot of new properties and a whole new state. I had by far the most encounters with 3.5+ bucks compared to any previous season. Wounded a very nice MI buck. Got a solid buck in Ohio (thanks to beast and hill country tactics) and encountered a true giant in Kansas but couldn't get an arrow in him.

Without a doubt, the beast has significantly upped my game.

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Since applying tactics of Beast Hunting "my successes" have been non existent. I started applying tactics from the beast in 2014 and have been using it 2014, 2015, and 2016 this year. my first year I killed one little buck and 3 does. My last kill was November 15th 2014. Since then I"ve had no luck killing any deer however I've observed some of the biggest deer I've seen in past 2 years than the previous 10. I'm battling my need for deer meat with killing animals with bigger antlers. The quantity of deer I have seen has fallen off the table which was expected with the switch. 2015 saw my first year with no harvest of any venison and that was a hard one. 2016 with one week left of season I have not killed a deer. Granted I had chances to kill a doe, I just manage to blow my rare opportunities at does. Another thing I noticed is I've seen an increased sightings of little 1.5 yr olds approximately 30 1.5 yr old bucks vs 9 does this year with about 60 sits in the tree stand. I did observe a huge 8 point that would push 140s, but that was the highlight of my year. I feel like there is something I'm missing with "beast" hunting but I can tell you guys on the forum what that is. Most of my hunting is flood plain just east of the Mississippi River. Terrain features as far as hills go are nonexistent, and mainly consists of cypress swamp bottoms and pecan flats. Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated during my 3 year transition into this.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:36 am

I found and joined the beast prior to the 2015 season. I was hooked immediatley. I related what was being said to my past experiences and I could see that you guys have a lot of knowledge to share. Before the beast I hunted mostly public land, I was 85% mobile hunter, I searched out the remote places but I was missing one critical part. I was missing the significance of buck bedding. I had almost come to the conclusion that to kill a good buck consistently on public you had to be a master at timing the rut correctly. Prior to the 2015 season I had tagged a buck every year for 10 years. Not any monsters but solid deer some year. The 2015 season I didn't see one legal buck from my stand. I got my rear end handed to me despite a lot of thoughtfull time in a stand. I feel like learning all these buck bedding strategies right before season really hurt me with buck sightings. I was not discouraged. The biggest advantage (there have been many) that I take away from this site is understanding buck behavior. I actually really enjoy scouting now that I feel like I know what is going on a little better. This year I killed a good buck for my area the first week of season within 75 yards of his bed. It felt really good to target an animal and all the pieces comming togeher. To all those who are struggling, hang in there. To all those still taking time to help us who struggle, thanks for the help.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:16 am

I love this site and these tactics, its what was missing from my life! Im not sure how to truly repay all of the people that have helped me along and still do, but they deserve it. Since I became a beast, iv been on some serious animals. It changed my hunting life which in turn changed my life. To Dan, Andrea, & the BEAST - THANK YOU!!!
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 am

161 days. I joined 7/21/16, killed my buck 12/28/16. I am no where near what I would call being a beast, but I did kill a buck beast style in this time frame. In terms of successful sits vs. failures for buck sightings or in range sightings, very very low odds for me. Being a hunter for many years and in the woods many days during the year has increased my learning curve rather than if I just started hunting recently. The abundance of information on here is overwhelming but has also increased my chances of success. Learning this from scratch or second hand from a mentor would take a lifetime to become successful. I am very satisfied with the past season and I am really excited to scout some more, tweak current spots, try the new spots I found in season and learn new ones.
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:32 am

I'm 30 now and grew up hunting southern Maine. There's not really any public land there, but almost all private land is open to hunt, mostly woodlots and farmland. My family only ever used small pushes, 1 or 2 guys walking, 1 or 2 guys posted on exit routes. Learned a lot of woodsmanship and filled a tag pretty consistently, even as the main "driver" being the youngest of the group. During college and after, I moved around and basically was only hunting thanksgiving vacation week, rifle season with my old man and uncles back in ME. Shot a 5 1/2 yr old 9 pt that dressed 210 in his bed while pushing a piece in '09. But that area is definitely an "if its brown its down" locale. Seems like the hunting pressure there has really declined in recent years and I've seen at least one mature deer on the hoof the last 6 years. But it has always been push a piece and move on.

Last year I settled down in Zone 11 Massachusetts and quickly realized the game here is to bow hunt and that I was near some decent public land. I had a bow that I shoot well but hadn't killed with it or even hunted out of a tree stand. EVER. I found the hunting beast through DIY Sportsman's youtube channel. Combining HB with some stuff from the Urban Deer Complex, I decided to get after it. Got a LW Assault II, a pair of waders and started scouting. My personality definitely fits the set up mobile, sit a lot of different spots, even go in blind as I learn this area style of hunting. I decided my goal for 2016 should be any bow kill from the stand... It just so happened that evening of Nov 8th, while America was watching the exit polls, I was watching the exit trail out of bedding in a corner between two barriers, sitting just off wind and arrowed a 3 1/2 yr old 8 point right at sunset. He went 20 yrds and piled up. He was one of two good bucks in that area, based on the bachelor group I saw this summer. Gained some humility by missing a forkhorn the next week on a similar setup in Zone 10 that I had scouted briefly over the summer. I'm definitely hooked and have been using the hunt stand app and a lot of the knowledge on this site to refine my scouting and prep for next season!!

Also, put the pieces together enough to pick a spot for one 30 min evening sit amidst all the pushing during thanksgiving week this year in Maine. Put a big doe down that dressed out over 140. Freezer's full. Cougar Out.
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:30 am

Well, as you all know I am very new to hunting. Only in my second season. But this was my first year hunting beast style. Hunted like a beast since the beginning, trying to hunt beds. Was not too sure if the beds were doe or buck beds. But on opening day I got skunked in the morning, and in the afternoon I got a shot off at nightfall. Could not tell if it was a bid doe or a buck. It was 28 minutes after sunset. Two minutes before quitting time. Shot and hit a limb. Then spooked a small doe because my tree stand squeaked the next week while hunting a bed.

Then after letting the spot I hunted on opening morning sit for a while, I went back and knocked down my 8 pointer. Not a massive buck, but great genes and a decent size. Amazing in my opinion for a first deer. Then hunted the same bed the next week in morning. Shot my doe. THEN hunted another bed and just at quitting time I had to lower my bow and I bumped 4 deer feeding 50 yards away.

All in all I feel pretty good about everything. But still have A LOT to learn. Not to mention, head gear is not my main goal. Meat is, unless I can get in a deer with some nice head gear. I am sure my craving will grow as I get more encounters with big deer.

It just seems like a very unlikely task considering I have not perfected my stealth skills. As well as becoming confident at identifying and differentiating between buck and doe bedding areas.
via47126
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cass.via.3

Unread postby via47126 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:57 am

dan wrote:I have noticed a few people struggle a year or two when they switch gears and try hunting BEAST style then all of the sudden there knocking down some serious bucks like the light just turned on. I am sure the amount someone puts into learning and hunting this way varies. I remember Singing Bridge telling me that the 1st hunt he ever did beast style resulted in a kill, but I bet thats not the norm... There is a learning curve. I think its a progressive challenge where you take a step back into unknown territory, but then start to move forward and learn more at a faster pace...

So lets hear your beast story... What terrain you doing it in? How have you done? Do you see better results? Did you kill your biggest buck since switching gears? Are you still struggling?

Tell us from the start of switching over, to now, how the journey has been... I know some of you were hunting similar before coming here, for you it may be smaller forward moves, and maybe there are some that are failing.. Still, would like to hear your stories and struggles.

Dan, New to this forum and want to learn the Beast Hutning Style. Do you reccomend getting the book, and or the DVDs? I live and hunt in Arkansas, Thanks.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:34 am

After I decided to move to hunting only mature bucks. My first 2 years i saw very little was hunting pretty much randomly near thick cover.

Until I hunted where a buck was j hooking to his bed and got him. Then i found the hunting beast while trying to figure out how i had killed that mature buck.

I met Dan and the awesome guys here on the beast which has taught me so much about mature bucks. The light just came on after I watched hill country bucks.

I think with beast hunting its about trusting your spots and confidence. I got a 8 point this year my 2nd year beast hunting thanks to alot of effort scouting and the great guys on the beast. I know everytime i walk into the woods now im in the right areas.

The 2015 season in October i tore the medial nerve in my left arm after surgery i couldnt climb a tree or pickup a gun or bow till Febuary.

In Hill country my first year i tried to get too close and made many mistakes.I did not see a mature buck from a treestand. Spooking several bucks on my entry. Its real tough to get within 75 yards in Hill Country Tennessee . Ive started moving to about 100-120 yards from beds.

I feel like i am getting better each year i beast hunt.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 am

via47126 wrote:
dan wrote:I have noticed a few people struggle a year or two when they switch gears and try hunting BEAST style then all of the sudden there knocking down some serious bucks like the light just turned on. I am sure the amount someone puts into learning and hunting this way varies. I remember Singing Bridge telling me that the 1st hunt he ever did beast style resulted in a kill, but I bet thats not the norm... There is a learning curve. I think its a progressive challenge where you take a step back into unknown territory, but then start to move forward and learn more at a faster pace...

So lets hear your beast story... What terrain you doing it in? How have you done? Do you see better results? Did you kill your biggest buck since switching gears? Are you still struggling?

Tell us from the start of switching over, to now, how the journey has been... I know some of you were hunting similar before coming here, for you it may be smaller forward moves, and maybe there are some that are failing.. Still, would like to hear your stories and struggles.

Dan, New to this forum and want to learn the Beast Hutning Style. Do you reccomend getting the book, and or the DVDs? I live and hunt in Arkansas, Thanks.

You bet get the DVDs. Then go to the All Time Best Tactical threads on the forum and start reading. Welcome and enjoy!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:17 am

via47126 wrote:

I would start with Marsh bedding, then swamp bedding (dvd's) Then from there decide if its for you, if it is, then you should get the bokk and the rest. The book is more storys with a tactical side to them, the DVD's are straight up tactical.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 am

via47126 wrote:

Definitely get the DVD's. I have all of them and while there might be some repeat information, you can't beat the knowledge for the price. I would say get them all to help cut down on shipping as well. Really learned a lot from them so far. I don't have the book so can't comment on it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:08 am

Beast style hunting? What do we learn from this style? If you throw everything out the window and just point out one thing. This would be where does hunting a buck start. :think: If your hunting open fields will you see more bucks than in the thick where the bucks spend daylight hrs? :think: Everyone can improve their hunting, even if they don't want to commit to Beast style all the way. The bottom line is hunting a buck starts at point A and all the other points are relevant but secondary in importance.

It may take a hunter a while to realize this, but when it's all said and done bucks spend daylight hrs on the down low. Getting into those areas (point A) is the key to success. Sure, a nice food plot set up is good, but where did the buck come from to get to the food plot? If you start thinking point A it is really just that simple. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:16 am

Stanley wrote:Beast style hunting? What do we learn from this style? If you throw everything out the window and just point out one thing. This would be where does hunting a buck start. :think: If your hunting open fields will you see more bucks than in the thick where the bucks spend daylight hrs? :think: Everyone can improve their hunting, even if they don't want to commit to Beast style all the way. The bottom line is hunting a buck starts at point A and all the other points are relevant but secondary in importance.

It may take a hunter a while to realize this, but when it's all said and done bucks spend daylight hrs on the down low. Getting into those areas (point A) is the key to success. Sure, a nice food plot set up is good, but where did the buck come from to get to the food plot? If you start thinking point A it is really just that simple. :think:

You make a good point about not having to go "all out" beast style... Blending it in with how your already killing bucks till you find a good mix, or till you decide it is or is not for you... But, every hunter benefit's from knowing where and when big bucks bed where they hunt.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:20 am

Stanley wrote:Beast style hunting? What do we learn from this style? If you throw everything out the window and just point out one thing. This would be where does hunting a buck start. :think: If your hunting open fields will you see more bucks than in the thick where the bucks spend daylight hrs? :think: Everyone can improve their hunting, even if they don't want to commit to Beast style all the way. The bottom line is hunting a buck starts at point A and all the other points are relevant but secondary in importance.

This is so true Stanley!

The only goal of all my scouting this off-season is finding mature buck beds...And how to the kill the buck from his bed! Period!

And for that matter, all of my scouting from now on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”