Hill Country Bed Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EastCoast

Hill Country Bed Question

Unread postby EastCoast » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:01 am

I was out bird hunting the other day and stumbled into this great buck bed. The bed is facing directly down hill which is towards the SW. There is an easily discernable trail leaving the bed heading north with a nice rub line and some scrapes. In the attached pic the blue arrow is the exit trail that goes between some stand locations I picked out. I'm guessing the buck would prefer a NE wind to bed there but my question is how much of a crosswind will a buck tolerate before finding somewhere else to bed? The wind around here is never very steady so a "just off" wind would probably get you winded. Obviously there's no concrete answer.

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Bed Question

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:42 am

From personal experience this summer, I found a bed on a hillside just like this but face NE, so a SW wind was needed. I stuck a camera near the bed and he was on camera bedding there or just standing near his bed on some W and S winds (used weather underground.com)
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill Country Bed Question

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:25 am

Hard to say... tHE FARTHER OFF THE WIND IS THE WORSE your chances. But, looks like an E.N.E. or N.E. would work well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”