When To Mount

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: When To Mount

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:09 am

Dan the Man has a doe mounted in his house! I think he's as proud of that white doe as any of the other slob bucks he has on the wall. I haven't read the thread or story on it but Dan always has good stories.

It's rare, most hunters never see a piebald or albino deer in their life. I haven't seen one in real life.

I had this same question of "when to mount" rattling around in my head earlier this season.

I already have a big one on the wall that grosses over 150 and nets over 140. I killed a nice 120s (gross) 11 point this season and was big time on the fence about whether or not I should mount it or not.

The circumstances in which I killed that buck made it very special to me and I wanted to remember them by having that pretty buck mounted. There were 3 reasons I decided to mount that buck. My wife is super cool with my deer hunting addiction. She had delivered our first children (twin girls) on a Thursday morning 11/17/2016. We were still in the hospital on Saturday morning 11/19/2016 (opening day for gun) but she said she didn't mind if I went hunting till lunch. So after sleeping on a couch in the hospital room for a few days I was eager to change the scenery. Within a few hours I had him dead in the leaves with steam still coming off of him! Number 1 reason to mount him was it was my first hunt as a father and made a neat story. Number 2 reason is it came from a wma that's close to my home and I have spent a ton of hours in. I had seen good bucks in there just haven't had everything come together. That wma has never once been easy on me in 6 seasons of hunting it. That was my first trip in there all year and I made a quick kill. That made this buck even more special to me. Number 3 reason was I bought a brand new slug rifle with this wma in mind. This morning was my first hunting trip with my new gun. I missed a nice buck in the same area last season with my muzzleloader. The buck was following a group of does and walking quick. I had to get off my rest and quickly shoot freeHand. Later I ranged it to be over 100 yards. My ml is older and I knew I couldn't get it to group well past 80 yards or so. This was a bit of redemption for me, and I think this is a better buck than the one I missed last season. This wma is shotgun or muzzleloader only so I was stuck using my ml only during seasons past.

Anyway I was a bit on the fence about mounting this buck initially so I asked the same "when to mount" question to my taxidermist. He simply stated, if it's a trophy to you and you have the money to allow it, Get it mounted!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:32 am

I find myself staring at my mounts and reliving each hunt on a regular basis. I've spent a bunch of money on my mounts but love thinking back on each hunt every time I look at them.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:19 am

john1984 wrote:If I had the money and space I'd shoulder mount every buck I ever killed.

But 4 or 5 hundred buck$ can buy a lot of beer,
So right now it would have to score 150+ if I was gonna invest in a shoulder mount.

Down the urinal or a buck mount up on the wall. The money is whizzed away either way.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 am

Stanley wrote:
john1984 wrote:If I had the money and space I'd shoulder mount every buck I ever killed.

So right now it would have to score 150+ if I was gonna invest in a shoulder mount.

Down the urinal or a buck mount up on the wall. The money is whizzed away either way.

This is a no brainer for me....

Beer....drink and pee out shortly after.

or

Buck mount.....hang on your wall, look at it and enjoy the the memories the rest of your life.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:18 am

Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:

This is a no brainer for me....

Beer....drink and pee out shortly after.

or

Buck mount.....hang on your wall, look at it and enjoy the the memories the rest of your life.

Or do a euro myself and use money to buy a tag for Minnesota. Plus have enough for gas!!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 am

I've always been pretty frugal having grown up Without for the most part. Its personal preference, don't let anyone else give you crap for mounting or not mounting a deer.

Unless you mount a big shed buck because then I'm even gonna give you crap. Still waiting to see a picture of someone doing that :lol:

I euro mount all the bucks I shoot, clean them up myself. The act of it is satisfying to me, just like butchering the deer. Most other hunters will think I am insane to euro mount 160+ inch bucks and that's fine if they want to think that, its a free country. I am going to keep doing it.

Keep in mind ANY taxidermy in the eyes of most non-hunters is nuts.....have reminded of that by many non-hunting friends.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 am

JoeRE wrote:I've always been pretty frugal having grown up Without for the most part. Its personal preference, don't let anyone else give you crap for mounting or not mounting a deer.

Unless you mount a big shed buck because then I'm even gonna give you crap. Still waiting to see a picture of someone doing that :lol:

I euro mount all the bucks I shoot, clean them up myself. The act of it is satisfying to me, just like butchering the deer. Most other hunters will think I am insane to euro mount 160+ inch bucks and that's fine if they want to think that, its a free country. I am going to keep doing it.

Keep in mind ANY taxidermy in the eyes of most non-hunters is nuts.....have reminded of that by many non-hunting friends.

The GA hunting forums....some guy watched a deer grow into a monster nontypical and then it gets nailed by a truck and the antlers shatter. They wrote an article on this dude collecting the antler fragments and then getting a mount done with either the glued together pieces or a replica made off the glued-together pieces.

I've also seen guys post up pics of shed mounts to commemorate a deer.

Both of those, are IMO, way overboard.

Back in the day I was on a quest to collect mounts of every duck/goose species on the eastern flyway and had 18 waterfowl mounts. When I decided enough was enough, I gave the mounts away and mostly non-hunters wanted them. After all that, I made the decision not to mount anything again.

Do have 2 fish mounts remaining from my taxidermy days.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:48 am

I just cut rack off 140s ten I shot this yr.... although I did cape em :think:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”