Do any Beast members hunt together?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Re: Do any Beast members hunt together?

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:28 pm

After reading some more of these posts, I feel very similar on sharing spots. My one out of town buddie, I would and have taken to some of my best areas. He's actually helped in getting the one in my sig. I trust him with all of them. I have a few others that I took scouting, and we have hunted together, but he has brought others in as well, so that is where it gets tricky. We're hunting the same areas, but it's now been opened up to others. It's public, but I've put most of the work into it. The spots are very tough to get into which is the saving grace, not many want to put the required work in, I'm even at the point of finding it tough to do. At 48, these long hikes in are kicking my but. It takes me a couple of days to recover, and I thought I was in good shape. But man, the deer at there. :mrgreen: Solo is more of what I like, but it is nice to be out with a buddie to.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:37 am

Having a great hunting buddy that you trust like a brother is a great thing... You will push yourself further back, have a little friendly competition, have help dragging, and of coarse someone on the same page as you to bounce ideas and thoughts off of... The trouble is finding the right friend that has all the traits needed is harder than shooting a booner on Michigan public...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:48 am

I learned I can trust no one with my spots. It's not paranoia it's live and learn. I won't even post pics anymore not worth it . It's too bad that you can't trust folks you thought you could
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:47 pm

I can't find anyone that wants to actually put the work in with me. I have friends that talk a good game. But when I call them in late winter/early spring to go scouting, they ALWAYS have an excuse. I also will not hunt with anyone that constantly has to get permission from the wife/girlfriend to go hunting or scouting. I have had a few hunting buddies with that situation, and it sucks not being able to count on them when you need help or are waiting to go on a hunt.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:39 am

tim wrote:I learned I can trust no one with my spots. It's not paranoia it's live and learn. I won't even post pics anymore not worth it . It's too bad that you can't trust folks you thought you could

Can't even trust my family with some spots. My uncle is already telling me where he is putting his buddy and himself next year for gun season. One hunting my exact tree and the other hunting my dads tree. I wish I was joking. All it took was him wandering around and finding me and me seeing and getting a deer. Called him out on it and he told me that since he hunted the other side of the river first 25 years ago, he gets first dibs on the entire river bottom. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:12 am

Jonny wrote:Can't even trust my family with some spots. My uncle is already telling me where he is putting his buddy and himself next year for gun season. One hunting my exact tree and the other hunting my dads tree. I wish I was joking. All it took was him wandering around and finding me and me seeing and getting a deer. Called him out on it and he told me that since he hunted the other side of the river first 25 years ago, he gets first dibs on the entire river bottom. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

I wouldn't be hunting with that uncle!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:25 am

tgreeno wrote:
Jonny wrote:Can't even trust my family with some spots. My uncle is already telling me where he is putting his buddy and himself next year for gun season. One hunting my exact tree and the other hunting my dads tree. I wish I was joking. All it took was him wandering around and finding me and me seeing and getting a deer. Called him out on it and he told me that since he hunted the other side of the river first 25 years ago, he gets first dibs on the entire river bottom. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Yup. Time to move on.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:55 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

Yup. Time to move on.

I have been trying since we started hunting there. Dad doesn't want to leave his family even though he hates it as well. This year we are trying to not bow hunt there and see if we can make it work
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:20 am

Johnny is your family hunting public or private. You could also use your uncle to your advantage. You know where he will be. Try to cut the deer of before they reach him.
Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:38 am

Jonny you gotta cut the cord. Even if it means ditching your dad. If he see's how serious you are he may just follow you.

Your uncle is nothing but a jerk. Didn't he even take all of the meat from your deer this year. I gotta say if he was my uncle I'd have taken a bat to his head long ago!!!!

Get out and get out now!!!!!! You'll be happier in the long run. Plus you'll grow faster as a deer hunter!!!!
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:45 am

stash59 wrote:Jonny you gotta cut the cord. Even if it means ditching your dad. If he see's how serious you are he may just follow you.

Your uncle is nothing but a jerk. Didn't he even take all of the meat from your deer this year. I gotta say if he was my uncle I'd have taken a bat to his head long ago!!!!

Get out and get out now!!!!!! You'll be happier in the long run. Plus you'll grow faster as a deer hunter!!!!

I have to agree. I didn't read the story about him pretty much taking your venison. That's crazy! :whistle:

Like stash said, sever ties with him and I'm sure your dad will follow.
Joe™
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:13 am

Outdoor814 wrote:
stash59 wrote:Jonny you gotta cut the cord. Even if it means ditching your dad. If he see's how serious you are he may just follow you.

I have to agree. I didn't read the story about him pretty much taking your venison. That's crazy! :whistle:

Like stash said, sever ties with him and I'm sure your dad will follow.

I think I have my dad in the right direction. I have shown him multiple pieces of public near our own place in the central part of the state that look really good. A buddy and his wife shot 3 really nice bucks on 3 sits in a parcel my dad and I hunted hard a couple years ago so I think that will help our cause. This same uncle has also been a huge pita about ice fishing this year so I think my dad is ready to sever ties with everything for bow season. I really hope we do because we get away from the family drama plus get to hunt areas with a much higher deer density.

And I would leave on my own but it's hard when I still live at home. It's either hunt where my dad wants to or I stay at home. It's a losing fight, but I have already gained a lot of Intel on places to go once I do leave home. 2 more bow seasons til I graduate college and I get to go decide where to live. All I can do is hope my dad sees what I see and is willing to move on. If we do, next year will be a great year, if not, it will be a long season. Just have to hope for the best. Until then, lots of cyber scouting and lots of time learning on the beast. Planning on hitting the ground running with some of these new pieces. Either next year or in 3 years
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:55 pm

I mostly fly solo.. I got a couple guys I occasionally hunt with over the season but they aren't on the Beast. I had the pleasure of meeting tbunao and came across deerdylan as well and hope to scout or hunt with them sometime.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:16 pm

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

Yup. Time to move on.

I have been trying since we started hunting there. Dad doesn't want to leave his family even though he hates it as well. This year we are trying to not bow hunt there and see if we can make it work

There must be enough land around there you can get away from the fam but still meet up at camp or wherever at night. Lots of public down in that part of the world.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:44 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

Yup. Time to move on.

There must be enough land around there you can get away from the fam but still meet up at camp or wherever at night. Lots of public down in that part of the world.

Like 99% of the area is public land for miles. The only problem is that a huge majority of the land is mature red pine and swamps which can be great to hunt but they can't support a huntable deer population. The only areas worth hunting are the ones that still have hardwoods. But in Clark and Eau Claire county, they log heavily and the amount of hardwoods decreases every year. Combine that with a decent number of hunters, and you get a lot of guys hunting not much land. The past 3 years my dad and I have walked and scouted miles of land finding decent areas to hunt. The first 2 years spots already were overrun by our family since we let slip that we saw deer. then one day they follow us out and put out all their stands in the area. And the area we found last year will be overrun again by my family.

The area is beautiful for hunting. There just isn't enough deer to justify going there and dealing with the bs we have to deal with. That's why I want to leave. It's bad enough hunting all season to only see a handful of deer. It's miserable knowing you will be pushed out of that spot by someone who thinks sitting 40 yards from you means you see different deer

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”