What Does Warm Temps Mean for the Rut?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

What Does Warm Temps Mean for the Rut?

Unread postby Jlaneb » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:51 am

I hunt East Alabama on the Northern Edge of the famed "Blackbelt Region." The rut typically takes place with the seeking phase beginning in mid December and peak breeding taking place in the first week of January. This year it's been hot, really hot. Christmas day was in the 70s. I'm curious as to how this could affect rutting activity? Will it take place during the nigiht instead? Will mature bucks cruise during daylight hours when the temps are so high?

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: What Does Warm Temps Mean for the Rut?

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:57 am

They'll still do all of their normal rut behavior, however there can be less daylight activity in really warm temps. Water holes can be a great place to hunt if water isn't overly abundant in the area.
Not all those who wander are lost...
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 am

Less daylight activity in my experience.

However, I had a buddy kill on Christmas evening at 76 degrees and a buddy kill the following morning at 68 degrees here in MS. Both deer were bow kills and gross over 125.

Temps are taking a downswing by Friday thankfully.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:06 am

I kind of go about it as I normally do. Water holes as mentioned can be good. For the most part I hunt as I normally do. Buck activity during the rut is high even in warmer temps. Nice cold snap after the warm up is good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:18 am

It's hard to find water holes. There's so many creeks they can just about water anywhere. Same with food. It's hard to predict what they're eating. It's almost January and I still hear acorns dropping and even found a loaded persimmon tree.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:20 am

This year on Nov 7th I saw a 150 class buck scent checking bedding areas at 11:30 it was 70 degrees
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:32 am

I don't think warm temps hurt the rut at all.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:06 am

I killed my rut buck this year on Nov. 3rd with temps in the 70'S which is 30 degrees above normal. I wasn't the only one and remember a good amount of huge bucks being seen or killed during those really warm days. Sure it slows overall movement down a bit but anything can happen during the rut so time on the stand is still very important. Especially focus on the coolest parts of the days because movement will likely be really increased then much more than usual.
Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Unread postby Jlaneb » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Appreciate the feedback, guys. I'll be out there. Can't kill em from the couch, right?
Shed Freak

Unread postby Shed Freak » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Dewey wrote:I killed my rut buck this year on Nov. 3rd with temps in the 70'S which is 30 degrees above normal. I wasn't the only one and remember a good amount of huge bucks being seen or killed during those really warm days. Sure it slows overall movement down a bit but anything can happen during the rut so time on the stand is still very important. Especially focus on the coolest parts of the days because movement will likely be really increased then much more than usual.

This was one of the warmest novembers ive ever experienced deer hunting. It was also one of our best years. I have never seen a difference in rut activity from the warm to cold years. They have to breed. The majority of mature animals we have killed in the MN gun season have been on the above normal temperature days. And I never really put that all together until just now....lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”