Season Is done

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Season Is done

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:41 pm

The Minnesota archery deer season came to a close today. I've been bowhunting for 25 years. 15 years ago I sold my compound and picked up a custom made take down recurve that I still use today. This year Is the 1st year that I did not take a deer with It. Hunting In a one tag area makes deer hunting a at times but that's how It goes. It's not that I didn't have chances as I passed up many, many opportunities at doe's up until 10 days ago. In the last 2 weeks we've gotten right around 2 feet of snow that added to the previous 10 Inches we already had. 95% of the deer that were living In the woods I hunt packed up their bags and went looking for food. Deer hunting the last 10 days has been very tough. Deer sightings were very few and far between. I've never took a deer from the ground with my recurve so I figured why not challenge myself. The last 2 weeks I committed to only doing ground sits. 2 evenings ago I had 2 doe's and a doe fawn at about 25 yards but I just didn't feel right In taking that far of a shot. 20 to 22 yards Is my max comfort zone usually. Had a few 1.5 year old bucks with In range but they'll get a pass regardless. Saw some other doe's and fawns but nothing was ever remotely close.

I also had a great year In seeing bucks. Saw more 3.5's this year then any other year and I was almost able to close the deal on a 5.5 year old buck that I had tons of history with the last 3 years but he ended up getting shot November 22nd during the ML season here. None of the 3.5's were what I wanted but none the less It was great seeing some age In the buck herd here. Seeing bucks get age on them around my area Is not a common thing. I did how ever get myself a Minnesota bear In late September so at least I was able to connect on something with the old recurve. I was also fortunate enough to meet up and hunt with some pretty good folks out In Colorado that were from all over the world. I also got to be part of 2 very nice animals that were taken by my family. My dads 400 pound dressed Minnesota bear and my brothers 155 Inch gross Minnesota buck. Both were longbow kills. Just being part of them recoveries makes It a great year for me as far as I'm concerned! If time was on my side I'd go and buy a Wisconsin deer license but I just don't know If I can get enough time off.

Best of luck to you others that are still hunting and congratulation's to you all that had a successful and or enjoyable season.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Season Is done

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:51 pm

It was a tough year for me 2 ,i had planned on hunting thurs and friday but another blizzard put a stop to that .It,s kinda sad thinking today was the last day and at home instead of hunting .But next year ,we,ll just start all over again don,t wanta eat another tag.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Schultzy them 3.5 year old bucks you let walk will be looking really good next year I bet ;) I'm sure you will have success on one of them 3.5 year olds come next fall and you will be glad you let him walk this fall. You bagged a great bear and had some great memories with family and like you said how could you beat that!!! Time to start to get ready for next season real soon, so get ready and Good luck!!
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:36 am

Good luck next season Steve!

I still have until Jan 9th and you know how mine has been going pretty much.

T
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:26 am

I have until tomorrow January 2nd, but don't know if I will make it out again or not. I am in the exact same boat as you as far as hunting goes, except I rarely even seen a deer the whole season, What a weird year! First year in 25 years of hunting that I haven't killed a thing. But like you My dad, My brother, and my best friends all killed their best bucks ever and I got to share that so that has definitely been the highlight of my season. Wishing you and everyone else an awesome 2011 Deer season....Only 272 Days left until opening day....time to get to work.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 am

It's a bummer, but the Fat Lady has to sign sooner or later :cry:

Give me a call sometimes, my phone went swimming and I lost your number...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:32 am

Keep your head high Schultzy, I'm sure you are anyway, just because one isn't sittin in the freezer doesn't mean it was an unsuccesful season.

In some ways my season wasn't that succesful but it others ways it couldn't have gone any better. Wishing you the best in 2011.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Parts of that sounds like you had a great season.

One season closes another begins. Good luck to all the predator hunters and ~4 months to chasing turkeys
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:30 am

Sounds like you gave it your all, Schultzy. Coudos on passing some deer and holding out for an ethical shot, better luck next year ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:07 am

hunt n nut wrote:Sounds like you gave it your all, Schultzy. Coudos on passing some deer and holding out for an ethical shot, better luck next year ;)

X2
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 am

Thanks everyone!! I didn't make this thread to get a bunch of "you'll get one next year". Most realized that with your reply's, thank you. My only down side this year was not getting the buck I've chased for 2 years now but that's how It goes and that's bow hunting. It's nice when you can upload a pic of your targeted animal or any animal for that matter when your successful In taking one and showing It on here and tell you all how It went down but I also like to share story's of ones that get away or of cool experiences that have happened while out In the woods. As bad as I wanted that big buck I was after and for those of you that don't know me too well here on the Beast you'll see that It's not always about the kill with me but rather the experiences and what goes Into the hunt (hunts) Itself.

Thanks again.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:45 am

It's not always about the kill with me but rather the experiences and what goes Into the hunt (hunts) Itself.

Well said Schultzy, if we were only out there to kill they wouldn't call it hunting ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 am

3dog wrote:
It's not always about the kill with me but rather the experiences and what goes Into the hunt (hunts) Itself.

Well said Schultzy, if we were only out there to kill they wouldn't call it hunting ;)
Great line 3 dog!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”