Marshes are thawing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Marshes are thawing

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:59 am

I walked about 5-6 miles today in the marsh and only saw 1 doe. The ice is starting to thaw and has alot of water on top, got a few soakers when I went through. Be careful on any rivers or canals, the ice is thawing fast.

huntinfool14
500 Club

Re: Marshes are thawing

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:11 pm

most of the creeks/rivers around my hunting area tonight i saw were open water..i wish we would get colder weather and more snow! makes the deer move!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm getting a little bit worried if I will be able to get to my best spots tommorow. Looked pretty bad earlier today from a distance and the temp warmed up another 10 degrees since early this afternoon. I better get my hip boots out again for tommorow just in case.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:36 am

It seems pretty cold right now... I am sure we will have again shortly.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:43 am

This weather makes access to those hard to reach spots just that much harder but if it stays like this long enough the winter survival rates for the herd should be outstanding. Meaning a relatively good year for all of us here in the fall of 2011. I'm not sure if the deer struggle down here in the SE part of WI but where we hunt up north in Oneida county the past few winters have been brutal to the herd. Its not bad enough the predator numbers are on a steady increase but then the deer have to battle 2 feet of snow and layers of ice between them and any food on the forest floor.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 am

Checked some spots today and they look much better than yesterday. This very cold air is flash freezing everthing tight again. Should be good to go by tommorow again. The good thing is that it will be much easier to get around now with no snow and the large drifts that are left you can easily walk right over them now.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:13 am

I still think that tommorow just to be safe I am wearing chest waders with ice cleats out in the cattails. It will probably be very treacherous walking with no snowcover on the ice.
At least if I break through I won't take a dunking! (I hope) :shock:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:00 pm

I gotta a good soaking this afternoon in the marsh. Went through a hole and never touched bottom, by time I yanked myself up at least my hat wasnt wet. I kept creeping around the marsh after that, gotta to love a 25 mph wind when wet.

Then I finally get a shot at last light, I missed.

The dunking all happened fast, but what I dont get is why one boot is full of water and the other is dry, they both went under?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey Lou, I better add a life preserver to my equipment list! :shock: :lol: :lol:
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:19 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I gotta a good soaking this afternoon in the marsh. Went through a hole and never touched bottom, by time I yanked myself up at least my hat wasnt wet. I kept creeping around the marsh after that, gotta to love a 25 mph wind when wet.

Then I finally get a shot at last light, I missed.

The dunking all happened fast, but what I dont get is why one boot is full of water and the other is dry, they both went under?

Yikes :shock: Talk about adding insult to injury. Sorry you missed Uncle Lou, sounds like a of a hunt!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

The marsh I was in today is frozen completely solid again with the frigid temps but make sure you wear creepers. Very slick out there with no snow. :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”