Where do Bottomland Deer Eat?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Where do Bottomland Deer Eat?

Unread postby Octang » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:27 am

I recently started hunting a bottomland forest that has a good amount of marshland littered throughout it. In my off season scouting I would like to find good stand locations to put myself inbetween where the deer bed and eat. Finding where they bed isn't that hard for me, but I'm not real sure where to look for grazing areas.

In all of the previous places I've hunted the deer ate in nearby farm fields. However, in this bottomland forest the closest nearby field is a mile away in some spots. I guessing there is food closer by that they rely on, right? What should I be looking for?

I'm guessing acorns will be one answer, but how do I know which one of the hundreds of oak trees is the one to hone in on?

Also, one quick similar question for deer that fed in the fields: what food sources should I be looking at after nearby farm fields have been harvested?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Where do Bottomland Deer Eat?

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:49 am

If your unsure of food concentrate on bedding. 1st off deer, especially older bucks will travel a long distance for food, bedding security is far more important. 2nd, you will drive yourself batty trying to figure out a bucks diet. It can change day to day, or hour to hour...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”