trail cameras now and then

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

trail cameras now and then

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:28 am

Some of the topics on here have got me thinking back to the old days. I started hunting right after they invented the wheel. lol
Things have really changed. Trail cameras are one of these things that have changed the most.
History of the trail camera:
In the begining there was nothing.
I would head to the woods with my flintstone mobile and searched for signs of deer. Other cave men were doing the same.
Some wise caveman said look at these tracks. A deer must have walked thru here. Was it big or small? buck or doe? Cavemen started using their fingers to measure the width of the track to get a better idea about size. This practice is still used today. They started to study these tracks to figure out how long ago the deer came thru.

Technology begins.
some cave men, actually not cave men any more because they gave up the caves and started building homes with wood, started watching for spiderwebs across trails. If there were webs then the trail probably wasn't used that night. Then one of the wise wood dwellers decided to start laying branches across the trails to check for deer movement.
This was a huge breakthrough. The very first man made trail camera. They were cheap and easy to build and everyone could afford them.

Things get more serious.
Some wood dweller wanted to know exactly when the deer walked thru. By now we had thrown away the sun dial for a more modern version called a clock. String had been long ago invented so the crafty wood dweller combined the clock with the string so that when a deer hit the string the clock would stop running pinpointing the exact time of passing. This was about the same time that they also decided to put wheels on their bows.

Then it happened.
The wood dwellers, still linked to their roots, were sitting around a campfire drinking fermented beverages. One of the men, maybe crazy from the smoke and drink, maybe struck with a flash of brilliance, came up with an idea. "We should hook a camera up to the string instead of the clock" he exclaimed. The man next to him said " that's funny, if we are going to do that why not just forget the string all together?" They laughed and laughed. One of the men was aware of a thing called electricity and had a spare camera laying around. He googled a bit, something that you did in private with the curtains drawn back then, and the modern day trail camera was born.

Hunting from home.
by now the wood dwellers had given up on wood and started wrapping their homes in plastic. They also started carrying their phones in their pockets so they could google anywhere they wanted to. Googling had become so widespread that it was now acceptable to do in public. People were even googling in their cars which is not a wise choice. Anyway, there was so much googling going on that someone thought why not have the pictures from my trail camera sent right to my phone? I won't even have to go to the woods which will leave me with more time to google.

And that my friends is the history of trail cameras!

Dewey

Re: trail cameras now and then

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:40 am

Funny but true :lol:
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:20 am

Pretty accurate indeed!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:03 am

I'm still waiting patiently for one with a 360 eye that can take pics at any angle, then send it to my phone and records wind, lunar phase and weather... can't wait!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Swampbuck wrote:I'm still waiting patiently for one with a 360 eye that can take pics at any angle, then send it to my phone and records wind, lunar phase and weather... can't wait!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I'd be happy if I had a trail last more than one year & one day!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:29 pm

:lol:

That awkward phase of getting film developed sure seems like a long time ago now. I remember the clerks at the one hour photo printing counters would ask how I got such close night time deer pictures :lol:
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”