Hunting in the Morning (Strategies)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Hunting in the Morning (Strategies)

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:36 am

At this moment its been 767 days since i killed my last deer period. I've blown two shots a does this year and the rest of my encounters were yearling bucks about 30 of em in 55 sits. in 55 sits 2 does in bow range. Its the thing im struggling with since switching to hunting more beds and quality deer than quantity of deer. I did have an encounter with an 8 point around 24" wide at 100 yds out, that's the only excitement this season and deer hunting is beginning to be a grind. I only have time to hunt mornings now, and I'm not going to give on the season and taking my first deer in over two years be it big buck or doe. How are you guys hunting possible bedding areas in the morning. do you hunt them with the wind blowing out of the bedding area or wind blowing into the bedding area. This is cypress swamp timber with no elevation changes. ranging from 250' to 259'. I believe the deer bed based on cover rather than wind or terrain but im not sure so im still taking wind into account. so if I have a suspect bedding area in mind do i get in there when the wind is blowing into it or blowing out of it.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Hunting in the Morning (Strategies)

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:14 am

In the morning wind direction can be tricky. A good off wind not blowing into bedding or food source is the best.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:52 am

It depends on what you want to kill. If you are just looking to kill a doe I would be hunting trails between the known food source and doe bedding and I would hunt the wind that is blowing so they don't smell you coming back from the food source regardless of where the bedding is. Hopefully rising temps and thermals would carry your scent up before it gets to their bedding. Especially if you are far enough away from the doe bedding.

If you are looking only to shoot a mature buck it's a different story altogether. You have a much higher chance of causing the buck to relocate if your wind is blowing anywhere but where you never expect him to go or blowing out to a field where you don't expect deer to be in the morning.

With all that said, even the does will alter patterns if you sit the same stand day to day.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:08 pm

I have some doe bedding areas I know very well and didnt get a chance to hunt during the season...I have been doing just the opposite..Intentionally going into these bedding areas with the wind blowing into it..Mornings only. Simply getting in early and taking advantage of known travel patterns to and from bedding..

One and done..In a couple of my areas of public land, the does are always just a little late in getting back to bed..They come into the bedding from upwind or even a cross wind..Shot opportunities occurr before I can be winded..It has been an effective stadegy to fill a couple doe tags..

Yes you burn the area but thats by design..Depends what your goal is I guess...Good luck!

Regards

Chad

[ Post made via Android ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:11 pm

I would and am myself preparing for the off season, slowly... I had a tough season as well...
If quality animals are what your after then I would get a jump start on everything. Right now you should make cyber scouting your top priority, everyday check the maps. You will be surprised what you can find checking the same spots a few times. If able start boots on the ground now. Prepare to pass decent sign and walk farther. Days you don't find what you are looking for, you go harder next time. Don't stop til you find it!
When you do find what you want, spend more time in the bed figuring things out. Also determining if more trees are needed for other winds. I like to sit in the bed w a compass and pick the 3 possible winds he's there. Do your best to determine food it's tough in harwoods, there's plenty of threads about it to learn though.
Access is huge and determining whether you can get there early season. If you find a prime spot, it's tough to get to, and a morning spot - pre set a stand.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”