Weekends or week days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodshuntn

Weekends or week days

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:48 am

I did try a search on this topic and found no results so if there is a thread on this already I apologize. For those of you that keep a log(or just a good memory) when do you shoot the majority of your deer? Weekends or week days?

Personally I think I am about 50/50 maybe a few more on the weekends as that is usually my only time to hunt. My biggest buck however was a weekday.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

basspro05
500 Club

Re: Weekends or week days

Unread postby basspro05 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 am

I have always wondered if anyone has seen a correlation with this. Assuming more people are in the woods on weekends, obviously the deer would feel the pressure.

There are lakes around Kansas city where I live and if you go fishing on a monday-friday you can absolutely fill the boat with fish...weekends you struggle to get a bite...wildlife feels pressure.

I think if a guy only hunted weekdays on the areas I hunt he would see more deer than me hunting weekends with more pressure.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:57 am

I think it's been talked about before a time or 2. But I think most people's hunting time would be on the weekends and the result of kills would be shewed that way just because of time in the woods on weekends.

Back in the late 80's I had a job at the local tire plant where I worked only weekends, 12 hrs Saturday and 12 hrs Sunday. All I hunted was weekdays. I will say that very very seldom did I run into anyone in the woods. I had it pretty much to myself. It was a great few years.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:07 am

I get a rotating day of during the week and have hunted weekends fairly even. Without a doubt I have shot more deer during the week. I think the deer can tell when the crowds arrive just like a dog can knows the sound of your vehicle coming down the road. Even on the private I hunt surrounding lands have way more pressure on weekends.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:21 am

like was said, lots of guys have weekends off and therefore weekend kills will likely be higher...

ive always preferred during the week...we cant hunt on Sundays here....this season i went to Mon-Tues off. I think that it made a difference. my theory is the deer had a day to calm down and realize there isnt anyone in the woods...

i certainly see less hunters if nothing else....though this was my best year of NOT seeing hunters period.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:26 am

All 6 deer that I've killed in the last 3 years have been on a week day. 3 bucks in the morning and 3 does in the evening.
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:21 am

I work every weekend due to me job. So right now the majority of my hunts take place on a weekday. Thinking back over most of the deer I have taken I'd bet 90% were on a weekday anyways. WIth PA's frustrating no Sunday hunting law I would think most of the PA hunters would be about the same results.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:20 pm

both
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:34 pm

On public land I prefer to hunt weekdays when possible to avoid other hunters. Thinking back, a lot of my buck kills were on weekday evenings after work. The deer don't know what day it is but the odds of them getting spooked by others are lower on weekdays.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JoeFranchise

Unread postby JoeFranchise » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Weekdays by far but inclement weather weekends are fine too...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:32 pm

I've chewed a lot of the same dirt as bigwoods and weekdays vs weekends is a huge difference. You can feel the difference in pressure in the woods. All else constant I like Thursday's and Friday's the best, Warriors out on the weekends, Monday still feels pressured, and after that each day gets better. My best hunts have been Thursday and Friday in terms of seeing the most deer, and seeing the biggest deer. I don't hunt mature bucks so I rarely see them, but for hours put in weekdays vs weekends, it's night and day difference. And this is for huge area high pressure public

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:25 pm

Weekdays for me. But I hunt alot more during week than on the weekends. Because of lower public land hunting pressure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:38 am

Good topic I was just thinking about this the other day too.

I try to get out mid-week when I can it usually has better results on public land. I can get away from most of the other public land deer hunters regardless of time of week but the big factor is often I am on the back side of public next to private lands that have a lot of activity on the weekends from deer hunters as well as small game hunters, wood cutters, and all that. Mid week its just me and the deer...
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:03 am

Since joining the beast I hunt a lot more weekdays. Over the past 5 years I believe I am 3 weekends, 2 weekdays for kill days.

I know one thing is for sure that is different. Weekend or Weekday I am more conscious of the wind, and location than I was before joining the beast. I will take days off even on a weekend if I don't have a place sit for a good wind.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:14 am

I've killed almost all my mature bucks during the week. I did shoot one 6 years ago on a Saturday but that's the last weekend kill of a nice buck that I can remember.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”