learning how to hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: learning how to hunt

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:43 am

And here we are discussing woodsmanship skills on an online forum. Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:43 am

Good post, I agree but hunting follows the same patterns of all other activities... There is a wealth of information out there today on a variety of subjects. You can learn technique and tactics. You can put a plan together, you can read books and journals. But in the end the great ones have an instinct for their craft. An instinct that is honed from years of practicing it in real life over many years. Many guys spent hours hiking around the woods as a kid, building forts, climbing bluffs, watching animals, examining tracks... Maybe they did not understand it at the time but as years went on they learned to understand the flow of the woods.. sounds, changes in lighting, that peak your senses... Now kids are tuned into more media driven entertainment.. virtual worlds built I games and movies. Yes I am making a generalization but kids do appear to spent less time outdoors. Couple this with being constantly advertised to that you need this or need that gadget to be successful and they easily fall victim to the consumerism around us... So my advice for people getting into hunting and the outdoors for the first time. Keep it simple... Get into the outdoors :), open your eyes, ears, and nose... Observe what is going on around you and you might surprise yourself :)
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 am

mt008 wrote:Good post, I agree but hunting follows the same patterns of all other activities... There is a wealth of information out there today on a variety of subjects. You can learn technique and tactics. You can put a plan together, you can read books and journals. But in the end the great ones have an instinct for their craft. An instinct that is honed from years of practicing it in real life over many years. Many guys spent hours hiking around the woods as a kid, building forts, climbing bluffs, watching animals, examining tracks... Maybe they did not understand it at the time but as years went on they learned to understand the flow of the woods.. sounds, changes in lighting, that peak your senses... Now kids are tuned into more media driven entertainment.. virtual worlds built I games and movies. Yes I am making a generalization but kids do appear to spent less time outdoors. Couple this with being constantly advertised to that you need this or need that gadget to be successful and they easily fall victim to the consumerism around us... So my advice for people getting into hunting and the outdoors for the first time. Keep it simple... Get into the outdoors :), open your eyes, ears, and nose... Observe what is going on around you and you might surprise yourself :)

You know what is really fun? Watching my son and the next door neighbors kid. His buddy is AVID outdoors "kid". My kid? AVID video games and tablets. But when the neighbor kid shows up, boys are gone for hours setting fish traps, fishing, shooting frogs with bows, shooting fish with bows, building forts..imaginations running wild. The neighbor kid never wears shoes, rarely has a shirt on in the summer and he eats most of what he shoots. Great influence on my kid. We call the neighbor kid huck finn.

The influence is that now my son...really thoroughly enjoyed his first hunting season. He asked me the other day if we can hunt again next season. Never thought it would happen.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:09 am

mainebowhunter wrote:And here we are discussing woodsmanship skills on an online forum. Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

:think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:30 pm

mt008 wrote:Good post, I agree but hunting follows the same patterns of all other activities... There is a wealth of information out there today on a variety of subjects. You can learn technique and tactics. You can put a plan together, you can read books and journals. But in the end the great ones have an instinct for their craft. An instinct that is honed from years of practicing it in real life over many years. Many guys spent hours hiking around the woods as a kid, building forts, climbing bluffs, watching animals, examining tracks... Maybe they did not understand it at the time but as years went on they learned to understand the flow of the woods.. sounds, changes in lighting, that peak your senses... Now kids are tuned into more media driven entertainment.. virtual worlds built I games and movies. Yes I am making a generalization but kids do appear to spent less time outdoors. Couple this with being constantly advertised to that you need this or need that gadget to be successful and they easily fall victim to the consumerism around us... So my advice for people getting into hunting and the outdoors for the first time. Keep it simple... Get into the outdoors :), open your eyes, ears, and nose... Observe what is going on around you and you might surprise yourself :)

I agree with this 1000%. I couldn't have said it better myself if I tried!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:03 pm

I think every generation as they get older looks at the next one and shakes thier head... not that I don't agree with much of what's been said but there is also something to using human innovation to better abilities.

The means younger guys use to get there may not agree with some but if the end results are similar what's the difference. There is value in woodsman ship, tracking, and all those skills. But there is also value in using the tools available in becoming more efficient.

I use my phone with satallite imagery and gps extensively. Not because I need to, but because it is more efficient. I have no problem being miles deep with nothing but a compass. But it's just not as efficient and doesn't give me the same data.

Trail cams are another one that can be a huge help. Tracking skills are great and I agree they are a lost art. But it helps more in certain terrains from others, and especially snow. I hunt flooded cypress and trying to track deer in water is about as hopeless as flying :lol: ... trail cams help me gather intel I otherwise wouldn't be able to

To me the people that maximize thier potential, learn and use both raw skills and the tools available to become more efficient. Those that have the drive can do what needs to be done to get them there regardless

And sure many guys can't build things with hand tools, do calculations by hand, and a variety of other things people used to have to do 50 years ago but the reality is they don't need to... Google and the rest of technology isn't going anywhere

I know the point of this thread wasn't to knock those tools just to point out that many overly rely on them which is true. But on the flip many under utilize them which also limits thier learning as well so it's a two way street for sure
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”