I'm surrounded - 10 worst states deer hunting? Interesting!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

I'm surrounded - 10 worst states deer hunting? Interesting!

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:48 am

What if, however, you don’t live in a “deer famous” state?

We’ve compiled a list of 10 of the worst states for deer hunting. While there is no one category that makes a state “bad” for whitetail hunting, the following states exhibit low harvest numbers,
large numbers of yearling bucks harvested, low numbers of mature bucks, heavy hunter density, consistently adverse weather, or all of the above.

Disclaimer: There is no single category that makes a state “bad” or “good” in regards to whitetail hunting, nor does every hunter in a given state share a similar experience.
The data used below was compiled from the Quality Deer Management Association’s 2013 Whitetail Report. Average temperature data was found here, and snowfall data can be found here.

10. Michigan
Michigan has a long and proud hunting heritage, and its placement on this list is sure to earn the ire of many of the state’s 648,000 hunters.
In addition to being one of the coldest states, however, Michigan ranks second nationally in the percentage of yearling bucks harvested in 2013 (59% of all bucks harvested).
In fact, only 17% of the bucks harvested in Michigan in 2013 were three and a half years old or older (third lowest nationally).
The prospect of enduring adverse conditions and a large amount of competition for a relatively small chance at mature buck earns Michigan a second place ranking.

9. Wisconsin
Wisconsin is arguably one of the best states in the nation for chasing big whitetails. Over the years many record book deer have come from this great state.
54% of the bucks killed in 2013 were yearlings, however, and this combined with low temps and large amounts of snow earn Wisconsin a spot on our list.

8. Rhode Island
It doesn’t seem fair, does it? While there’s no way that the smallest state in the Union can produce harvest numbers like Texas, Georgia, or Pennsylvania, Rhode Island placed near the bottom of deer harvested per square mile.
Unfortunately, that’s enough to earn this great state a spot on our list.

7. Massachusetts
Massachusetts is another state that earns a spot on our list mostly because of its size.
While the number and quality of bucks harvested in Massachusetts (and all over the Northeast, in fact) have been steadily increasing, only 20% of hunters reported a harvest. In the end, there’s no way around that.

6. New Hampshire
New Hampshire is another small northeastern state that earned a spot on our list.
It ranks fifth lowest in antlerless deer harvested per square mile, is amongst the coldest and snowiest states in the U.S., and 49% of the harvested bucks were only a year and half old.
All those factors combined earn this state a sixth place ranking.

5. Pennsylvania
There’s no denying that Pennsylvania can rack up some impressive deer harvest numbers.
In 2013 the Keystone State hunters harvested an impressive 127,540 bucks, along with 208,660 anterless deer.
While these numbers and mild weather compared to many other states on our list place Pennsylvania in some impressive company,
its number one ranking in hunter density (20.3 hunters per square mile) and large yearling buck harvest (50% of all antlered deer) land it at number five.

4. Maine
In 2013, Maine didn’t report the percentage of successful hunters, and we don’t blame them.
Chasing whitetails in the vast woods and deep snow of the northeastern state presents a great challenge that few whitetail hunters will ever experience.
But its lowest-antlerless-deer-per-square-mile ranking (0.2), low average temperature (41 degrees),high annual snowfall (62 in), and large yearling buck harvest (54%) mean that it is perhaps to much of challenge for many.

3. Vermont
Vermont is arguably one of the most beautiful states in the nation, especially during the fall.
Vermont also has a proud history of big buck hunting; after all, who hasn’t dreamed about chasing big woods monsters alongside the famous Benoit family?
Despite all of these great qualities, Vermont’s challenging weather, low success rate and low overall harvest numbers earn it a number 3 ranking.

2. New Jersey
New Jersey is a state that many don’t associate with deer hunting.
In 2013, however, 63% of hunters reported harvesting at least one deer, which is in the top five nationally for hunter success rate.
Despite its proximity to the Big Apple, the deer density is also competitive nationwide (3.6 anterless deer harvested per square mile in 2013, compared to the national average of 2.1).
These numbers, however, don’t tell the entire story. New Jersey ranks in the bottom ten in total deer harvest by state, and number one in the percentage of yearling buck harvest.
62% of all antlered bucks killed in New Jersey are yearlings, and that combined with low overall harvest numbers earn New Jersey a number two ranking.

1. New York
One of the largest states in the Northeast, New York easily slides in at number one on our list.
The Empire State ranks third in hunter density nationwide (15.1 hunters per square mile), and while harvest numbers are competitive nationally, 54% of all bucks harvested were yearling deer.
In fact, only 18% of all bucks harvest in New York were three and a half years old or older (4th lowest nationally).
This, combined with the highest average snowfall in the nation, means that New York has a large number of hunters enduring miserable conditions
and a hostile political climate (in New York, you pay extra for your bowhunting “privilege”) to hunt a deer herd that is imbalanced at best.

That, friends, is enough to earn New York the number one spot on our list of 10 Worst Deer Hunting States in the country.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: I'm surrounded - 10 worst states deer hunting? Interesti

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:14 am

No way on Gods green earth is Wisconsin the 9th worst deer hunting state in the USA. If the Quality Deer Management Association is going to put out a report, they need to add some believability in doing so. :roll:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:24 am

https://www.biggamelogic.com/ArticlesNe ... Bucks.aspx

Yes, Wisconsin being on that list is laughable.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:25 am

Yea I remember this report has hashed and rehashed a few times....given the kind of stuff that comes out of QDMA I don't pay much attention to it. Carry on!

If anyone thinks they live in the worst deer hunting state in the nation they should go try to kill one in Hawaii :lol:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:37 am

FL left off because it doesn't even qualify as a deer hunting state. Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 am

PK_ wrote:FL left off because it doesn't even qualify as a deer hunting state. Lol

QDMA probably didn't remember Florida is part of the US :lol:
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:43 am

Yep - I can confirm that NY ain't great, but I tip my hat to the FL and NH (Ed) whitetail hunters. NY is not THE worst state.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:48 am

JoeRE wrote:
PK_ wrote:FL left off because it doesn't even qualify as a deer hunting state. Lol

QDMA probably didn't remember Florida is part of the US :lol:

Not many celebrity's hailing from Florida...hmmm

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:08 am

Good Ole NY!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:48 am

Stanley wrote:No way on Gods green earth is Wisconsin the 9th worst deer hunting state in the USA. If the Quality Deer Management Association is going to put out a report, they need to add some believability in doing so. :roll:

The study was done back in 2013 when we were WAY better off with a much larger deer population. By now we must have easily taken over the #1 worst state. :lol:
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:54 am

This is good that Wis. is on the list. Everybody will want to hunt else where. :mrgreen:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:38 am

thwack16 wrote:https://www.biggamelogic.com/ArticlesNews/tabid/136/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/304/Best-States-For-Boone-Crockett-Bucks.aspx

Yes, Wisconsin being on that list is laughable.

Their list of B&C:
1. Wisconsin, 383 entries
2. Illinois, 299 entries
3. Iowa, 224 entries
4. Ohio, 215 entries
5. Missouri, 214 entries
6. Kentucky, 199 entries
7. Indiana, 195 entries
8. Kansas, 181 entries
9. Minnesota, 172 entries
10. Saskatchewan, 147 entries
11. Texas, 132 entries
12. Alberta, 115 entries
13. Nebraska, 78 entries
14. Oklahoma, 48 entries
15. Ontario, 41 entries
16. Arkansas, 40 entries
17 (tie). Michigan, 39 entries
17 (tie). Mississippi, 39 entries
19. North Dakota, 31 entries
20. Pennsylvania, 26 entries
21. New York, 25 entries
22. South Dakota, 24 entries
23 (tie). Georgia, 23 entries
23 (tie). Maryland, 23 entries
25 (tie). British Columbia, 19 entries
25 (tie). Maine, 19 entries
27. Virginia, 17 entries
28. Tennessee, 15 entries
29. Colorado, 13 entries
30. Idaho, 11 entries
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:42 am

I think it's you ed. If you relocate those states will make the list. Look up, do you see a black cloud above you?

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:20 am

magicman54494 wrote:I think it's you ed. If you relocate those states will make the list. Look up, do you see a black cloud above you?

NO doubt...
Do you feel my pain?

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:41 am

I'm from number one! Does that make me a winner?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”