Wi Cross Bow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Wi Cross Bow

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:09 pm

X4 but seeing that your not from wi im sure your not familar with the season structures.As bowhunters in wi we lose days for youth,early T ZONES,doe only hunts,muzzleload, and holiday hunts.I fact there was a push for a 14 day(DURING RUT)instead of our normal 9daygun.So sides have been divided as gun hunters push their agenda.My fear is that you would add to many more new bowhunters if you allowed crossbows.Therefore public land would overcrowd and private(which most times is bow only permission as everyone has a relative that gun hunts)will be refused.

TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 pm

If the topic is Adding a separate season to a all ready short season I could under stand the problem.
In Virginia it is Archery season Bow or Crossbow you just have to have one or the other License.
With that said it still does not justify calling a Crossbow hunter lazy or that they don't take the time to perfect there skill. I think more Untrained hunters go in the woods with guns then with a Crossbow or Bow But they don't get the bashing as Crossbow hunter do from Bow hunters.

Has for what sound like a really mess up season For Wi bow hunters I wish you the best in getting the most out of what you have and if you do see a Crossbow hunter in the woods just remember We are in this for the one thing, "that is to enjoy the outdoors and the sport WE ALL LOVE to do".
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:18 am

Tree Rat I will not look down on you for enjoying the sport with your cross-bow. And if any one does they can look down on me too.

I understand the animosity towards this weapon, I don't necessarily agree with it, but for whatever reason the cross bow brings controversy. Once I started shooting one, I understood what it wasn't. There was a fierce battle in Michigan over it. When the dust settled, I had one fall in my lap. Kinda ironic, I got mine from the owner of Wyandotte Leather. He sews mostly leather goods for traditional archers (arm guards, shooting gloves, quivers, etc).

Mine is just an entry level model. The entire package was probably a $350-400 retail package(Jerry gave me a little break on that). So I started shooting it. At first, I would shoot bow and cross bow in the same session. Wanted to compare it directly to my old Mathews. Wanted to really see the effective range of my bow vs this new cross bow. Bottom line at this point in time, I consider myself a 20 yard bow shot and I would consider this crossbow and my shooting abilities a 40 yard weapon. Some could argue that that doubles my effective range. However, I know their are many on this site that can outshoot me and my crossbow with their compounds. I shoot the crossbow a bunch at my targets and love introducing kids, women, my family members, and fellow hunters (both gun and bow) to shooting with it. It is fun.

Now I am looking forward to trying it for predators, then maybe turkey come spring. I should stop hi jacking this thread. Start a post on your cross bow equipment and or adventures and I'll chime in.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 am

Where it is legal, go for it, I have no problems with cross bow shooters.

Now in WI, call me selfish, flat out do not want to see them in the archery season.

Gun season is full of, excuse my word usage, sub-hunters, that I'm afraid these hunters will fall over to archery season also.

This doesn't mean all crossbow users are less of a hunter, just that a lesser hunter may choose a crossbow in WI to use for archery season if made legal if he/she wasn't a bowhunter allready.

We can all agrue that we need more recuriemnt of hunters, I feel that is the parents responsibility to get kids into hunting, we don't need to add crossbows to the archery season to try and bolster hunting.

WI may be a uniquie state with just the sheer number of hunters vs availble quality public land.....I guess similar to MI. With MI allowing crossbows this year for archery, did the MI hunters see any impact? Maybe my thoughts of overcrowding public land during archey is wrong?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 am

I agree with some gun hunters taking up bow hunting if cross bows were legalized...
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:22 am

I have never shot a crossbow, in fact, I have never even held one. I would hope that whatever weapon a hunter chooses to use that practice and proficiency is first and foremost in their plan. Unfortunately, there are lazy hunters all over the country carrying a variety of weapons.
None of those are on this site and I like to believe no one on this site would put another hunter down if they choose to use a crossbow. It is another weapon in the hunters to choose to use where it is legal. I know several hunters, that like to change it up, know how to use each of the weapons they choose to shoot and may use every legal weapon thruout the seasons. These same hunters do their homework as well, scouting, target practice, equipment maintainence and safety first. They just like to keep it fresh every time they are out with a different challenge when they want one.
I would hope the crossbow debate, and it is going on in several states, would bind hunters rather than divide. Unfortunately, it seems to be doing the latter.
Tree Rat, I will never look down to you for choosing a cross bow. For now as you have said, it keeps you in the game and is allowing you yo garner and grow the interest in your youngster. Kudos to you.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:12 am

Pertaining to Minnesota I hope they keep xbows In the gun season as to me that's a closer representation of the weapon. As for the bow seasons keep It as needing a permit for health reasons. As for getting kids Interested In hunting by letting them use xbows, that's a crock If you ask me! Xbows look cool so yes the younger generation Is going to want to use one and also the fact that It won't take nothing to pull these things back. Kids these days love something handed to them Instead of working for It. Look at the PSE AR15 or whatever that thing Is called. Mark my word that this Is just the start of technology In xbows. Technology Isn't always a good thing If you ask me.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 am

I have heard that Indiana is going to propose this month to legalize crossbows statwide for all archery season. Doesn't bother me much, Ive tried them and was not impressed. I do have one for Turkey so I dont have to fill my bird with lead shot. I think it will add something to the season though because it gives you an advantage while ground hunting in not having to draw. How many time growing up I ground hunted only to have the animal bolt as I drew my bow. I think it can add a new dimension to the early season in that I can go out and turkey hunt with it and legally shoot a deer if it comes by, that is if the proposal gets approval.
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:55 am

Personaly i could care less.When i go hunting i never think, as to what other hunters are using to take there game.Rifel (what caliber),shotgun(rifel boar,or smooth, pistol,long bow,recurve, compound,who cares.This will ad more hunters in the woods, u realy think so?.Me i'am still using my 1981 martin warthog till it breaks.Man just get out and enjoy the game.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:17 am

I don't know why people are so afraid of legalizing crossbows? What's the big deal? It's not going to affect the quality of anyones hunting. The part I'm opposed to, is the state making a "new" license that you have to pay for...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:11 pm

The only thing that concerns me is when are we going to draw the line on technology and what should be legal??? Think how far bows have come in the last 20 years, now imagine the next 20 years. Half the battle in shooting a deer is getting the bow drawn without being detected. That is what bowhunting was meant to be. The way I see it if you want to hunt with a crossbow that bad you should be able to do it during firearms season and use a gun tag. And anybody should be able to turkey hunt with them. Other than that keep the law the way it is.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”