The Saga Continues

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

The Saga Continues

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:19 am

Back in 2013 I began bowhunting exclusively public land with a couple buddies, more as a social thing than anything. That all changed one morning in late October when I missed an opportunity at a very large 10pt. I didn't have the money for a range finder or tree stand at the time so I was in a makeshift ground blind between a fallen down tree and had this buck tailing a doe. I guessed his range at 40 yards, put the pin on him and watching my vanes graze the top hairs on his back. Turns out after having a buddy range check where he stood, the buck was only 32 yards out.. I quickly saved up for a range finder and my obsession to seek out and pursue mature bucks has grown ever since then.

Unfortunately I would not have another chance at this buck and have since moved away from there area, but I still try to get out there once a year. I hung a camera back in October and got a chance to hunt it this weekend and saw this guy come through at 6:30am on Nov. 1st. There's no doubt in my mind that this buck is related to the one I shot at back in 2013. It could be the giant I had missed but that would put him at 6-7YO easily just guessing and this angle is too difficult to age a deer. Regardless if it's him or not, it would be very important to me to shoot a deer that has gotten me so obsessed with bowhunting..

I'd like to keep you guys updated on the pursuit of this deer, I think it would be cool to have a diary of some sorts to reflect back on. Due to our season ending Jan. 1st this will probably be a long term deal but I'll keep it updated with trail camera & scouting pics.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jonny
500 Club

Re: The Saga Continues

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:05 am

You should make a hunting journal. Those always make for great reads during free time when you can't do something else
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: The Saga Continues

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:32 am

Jonny wrote:You should make a hunting journal. Those always make for great reads during free time when you can't do something else

Good idea, can a Mod. please move this to the Journal section please?
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”