Snow tracking deer in wolf country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trapper57
500 Club

Re: Snow tracking deer in wolf country

Unread postby trapper57 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:06 pm

You can carry a side arm in Wisconsin.
I don't leave home without one!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:13 pm

trapper57 wrote:You can carry a side arm in Wisconsin.
I don't leave home without one!

I agree. I had a pack shadowing me on the way out after hunting late season a number of years ago. I knew they were around on my way in as I saw tracks. Seemed they were just curious checking me out and never got aggressive but you just never know.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah it's like getting attacked by a shark! Or killed in a plane crash! It can happen but not likely. I'm with Magic. I'd be cussing if I didn't get a pic or video!!

If your gonna worry about wolves, bears or cougars. Your not going to be hunting to your best ability. Sure show them respect and give them their space if needed. But don't get overly worry some about it. Like Magic hinted. The big bad wolf stars in fairy tales. Nobody would ever go hunting out west if they always let the above animals bother them.

I always figured if a Grizz got me at least I'd make News headlines!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:57 pm

I read a book called "the real wolf" i would highly reccommend. Thousands of humans have been killed by wolves in the past. They are plenty capable. That said, the chances of being killed by one in wisconsin is dang near zero due to a lot of factors related to how humans and wolves interact here.

You can get killed pretty easy crossing the street. But i dont worry about it at all. But i still look both ways every time. And i dont trust a single driver out there to not hit me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:44 am

stash59 wrote:Yeah it's like getting attacked by a shark! Or killed in a plane crash! It can happen but not likely. :

My wife likes telling me my fear of a shark attack is irrational bc I'm more likely to die from a toaster oven. I tell her that her comparison would only make me feel better while swimming if there were also toaster ovens in the ocean.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I've had a few wolf encounters over the years. One time I was hunting on the ground with a bow and ended up in the middle of a drive that a wolf pack was making. The lead dog stopped at about 4yds when I said hey.
Another time I was working in the forest and called a wolf in that I was watching using my voice and body as a decoy.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 am

Octang wrote:
stash59 wrote:Yeah it's like getting attacked by a shark! Or killed in a plane crash! It can happen but not likely. :

My wife likes telling me my fear of a shark attack is irrational bc I'm more likely to die from a toaster oven. I tell her that her comparison would only make me feel better while swimming if there were also toaster ovens in the ocean.

I think sometimes they get lost in numbers. I have a much better chance of getting killed by a toaster oven, because I have a toaster oven, I have 0% chance of getting killed by a shark because there are 0 sharks where I live. Someone in Grand Rapids thinks that wolves aren't a problem in Michigan because there are 0 near Grand Rapids, I know that they are a problem because I know of people near me that have had there dogs killed by wolves and seen plenty of deer caracasses picked apart by wolves. Now if I swam in shark infested waters I'd have a different view
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 am

I track in wolf country. I have seen a few still hunting but never while on a track. I don't Fear them.

In fact, this thread has got me thinking. I'm a little lonely after the deer season closes and I can shoot tools every year up here. Anybody has any opinions how easy it would be to track one of those suckers down? I might even learn a few hunting tricks along the way? I am guessing that they should be easier to approach then a deer.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:34 am

Cheesehead5900 wrote:Hello,
I was tracking a nice deer on the last day of the Wis muzzleloader season and had two wolves get ahead of me on the track. I ended up seeing them about 50 yards in front of me and yelled at them sending them in opposite directions. I didn't see them again on the quick couple mile trip back to my truck. Just wondering if other guys have had other encounters with wolves while tracking deer or any suggestions of how to keep the wolves from ending your hunt when tracking.

Best way to eliminate that is to shoot everyone of those useless critters that you can.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:22 am

Dhurtubise wrote:I track in wolf country. I have seen a few still hunting but never while on a track. I don't Fear them.

In fact, this thread has got me thinking. I'm a little lonely after the deer season closes and I can shoot tools every year up here. Anybody has any opinions how easy it would be to track one of those suckers down? I might even learn a few hunting tricks along the way? I am guessing that they should be easier to approach then a deer.

I'd be interested to see how it works for you. If you try it post up your results. Rich Lewis on mountain men got a crack at one by tracking in one of the episodes. How do you usually hunt them?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”