1st ever SLOB 2nd BEAST STYLE BUCK

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

n.sampey

1st ever SLOB 2nd BEAST STYLE BUCK

Unread postby n.sampey » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:10 pm

So guys I have been a member for 3 years now, i dont post alot but i read alot. I shared the beast with a buddy and we hunt together everyday unless work interferes. The past 3 years we have seen an increase in deer sightings that is out of this world. We see so many deer folks around here think were lieing lol. On days when 30 people on a facebook group see 0 deer we still manage to see deer. Most of the deer we see are young. But we learn something new everyday. I read up on a post about staying in the same ruts so i been doing different things thinking outside the box to try to get on mature deer. I have seen 7 bucks 3 1/2 + this year out of around 40-50, but always out of bow range and had one time where the wind died and my wind switched for 10 seconds and had a brute of a buck smell me at 32 yards while i was waiting on a shot.... Keep in mind i live in Louisiana in the middle of a 60000 acre public forest. So my friend had to work for 2 weeks, and i wanted a break from taking the camera, bow, and stand in with me every hunt, so i decided to take the rifle and pretty much still hunt beside some private land. Im pretty much a blind hunter right now i always do first time sits based on where i believe a bed should be, and after the hunt i check the place out and look for beds and info for future hunts. I come across another thread about sounding like a deer when i walk not just steadily walking. So every now and then I do different thinks like break a stick or make the sound of a buck making a scrape. The area i arrived to was about 30 acre block of pine thicket and a ridge paralled the thicket leading to the hardwoods before hitting a road, so it had private on one side and a road on other two sides. Well walking in i seen a 2 1/2 7 point 120 yds i let him walk and sat down at the edge of the private land. After about 3 hours it was about 4:30 so i decided to ease in and hunt my way up ridge and see what i could learn from this area, and see if my thought process was right. After about 20 yards and 30 minutes i come across a thick spot and decided to do my best to sound like a deer. It took me about 5 minutes to make it 10 yards where it got fairly thin again. As i emerged i stepped on a stick and it snapped. I stopped immediately and started to listen and i instantly heard running. I was mid way through taking my gun off shoulder when he busted out 30 yards away stairing me down. In one swift motion i shouldered the .270 and sent a ballistic tip his way. The deer turned and bolted and i was blinded by brush between me and him.. i turned and ran parallel 5 yds to the direction the buck ran when i hit an opening i looked and could see a main beam sticking up.. When i arrived to the beast i lost all control of any emotion and let out a BIG Ric Flair WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHG!!!!!!!!! Then for the next 5 minutes i repeatedly thanked GOD. I called my dad and when he arrived another vehicle arrived from a different direction.. After meeting the stranger i found out he was on the private land hunting about 150 yds away and seen the buck 4 minutes before i shot, he told me the buck walked out put his nose in a scrape and by time he got his gun up he could only see his hind legs. Then he said the buck took off my direction and he heard me shoot soon after. He said he couldnt tell how big the buck was, well when we walked up to the buck he couldnt believe it he said if he would have known he was that big he would have took the shot. I do firmly believe the deer heard me when i went through the patch of thick brush and he thought I was a deer. I believe everyone hunts different and for me i skim through this forum and i pick up stuff that fits my style of hunting, and i use it to build the type of hunter i want to be. So thank you for everyone who contributes and without further delay i give you my largest buck ever a 10 pt scoring 142 1/4, a true Louisiana Public Land SLOB!!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Re: 1st ever SLOB 2nd BEAST STYLE BUCK

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Awesome buck man! Congrats!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Great job!!! Thats a stud !!

ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Congratulations thats an awesome buck, very unique rack.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Nice job man - great buck!

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:00 pm

That is a STUD. Congratulations man!
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Awesome tall tines beast!!! CONGRATS! :clap: :clap:

mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Congrats man!!! Great story!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Very nice deer. Congrats man

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:16 pm

Awesome buck man!!! Way to go

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Great buck!

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Awesome buck. Congratulations

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:16 pm

That's a great story - Congratulations! :dance:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Congrats on the dandy buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Very cool buck. Congrats. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”