The little things

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

The little things

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:43 am

I was scouting in the rain today and noticed that on a stand I had left up from a prior sit, the seat was flipped up and the bottom of my 3rd hand man bowholder was shining like a spotlight in the woods (the plate is a shiny metal). Apparently I had neglected to tape it or stealth strip it. Big mistake in my view. I could easily see a buck noticing this and becoming leery of the area because of it.

Dan had mentioned guys with their packs hanging or laying on the ground even causing an issue for mature bucks.

What other "little things" are actually big things we do that prevent us from getting that buck we're after???

I'm not talking the right wind or being stealthy but more the little things that get missed or are some unthought of mistakes like saw that I made?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Re: The little things

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:13 pm

I spray painted my third hand holder. Can't stand shiny bright stuff, or really dark colors on my stand or around my setup. I spray paint alot of my stuff and stealth stripped some things too. Maybe it makes a difference???

If I need to, I also try to quietly expand some shooting lanes by snapping off small branches off of trees around my setup, or pushing brush over. Its always those little branches or saplings that get in the way.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:33 am

Little things are huge... Direction you face your stand, so your not constantly turning your head and body, stand height, exact tree you pick etc.. access wrought is also a small thing that can make a huge difference too.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:59 am

dan wrote:Little things are huge... Direction you face your stand.

This is huge in my opinion and one that cost me just last night. I found a bed two weeks ago on an east running point. It was right on the end, on a transition of thick clear cut north and old growth timber to the south. I jumped the buck out of it the day I found it and heard his exit. Went down and there was the bed, wind was WNW that day and I scouted around finding rubs facing the bed heading south across the end of the point into a creek bottom and eventually a field. I waited for a day (that I could hunt) that had a wind direction similar and yesterday was the day. Temp. was 66 at noon and supposed to drop to 32 by dark. I got setup 125 yards south of the bed along his route at 1:30. I was afraid to get any closer for fear of being in his sight when I climbed to height in the tree so I stayed low enough in elevation to let me get high enough to provide some cover but still be below his line of sight. I faced south to keep the tree between me and him in anticipation of the way he would come from. I hadn't been on stand 45 minutes when I looked up the hill and noticed a doe fawn coming down the point at a run (on the exact line I expected him from). She was closing fast so I stood and grabbed my bow in one motion, then turned her direction. He was coming at a trot twenty yards behind. As I got turned she had stopped at 35 yards, he stopped at 50. I'm not sure if she caught me (think she may have because she turned back the way she came.) He milled around lip curling and grunting, then went back along her route. Wind was perfect and neither smelled me and I know he never saw me but I can't help but think she did as I took my attention from her to get my bow. In hindsight, my setting up facing away allowed me to be covered from eyes as a doe and fawn came right under me later and never noticed me. However, I think had I been facing them I could have grabbed my bow, without standing, and she would have came right down the hill with him in toe, resulting in a 25 yard shot and me being tagged out. The hunt was a success as it was my first actual bed finding and seeing the deer that was in that bed (125 inch 3 year old on public land). I just wish I had faced the direction he would come from for two reasons:

1) when you face the anticipated direction of travel you will see them and not be caught off guard which results in less movement to prepare for the shot
2) I could have shot him sitting and never had to stand which would have been key as the woods are wide open and no movement other than drawing my bow would have resulted in a dead deer.
Otherwise great learning experience and feel free to tell me if this thinking is wrong. :think:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:57 am

How many times you heard this? "If I would have killed all the big bucks I had chances at, I would have as many as Dan or so and so, on the wall"!!!!

There is a reason Dan and some of the others are hanging them on the wall. Just because you are doing something one way, doesn't mean that way, will give you the best chance. Make some small changes, that will give you the best chance. Maybe hang your bow on the best side of the tree. Maybe hang your stand so you can just sit and watch without moving. So many little things you can do to up your chances.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:49 am

Shooting. Maybe its not a "little" thing. All the tactics in the world won't put the deer in your truck if you cannot hit what your aiming at.

But its something that you can work on controlling the nerves. Now that hunting season is done...watching more vids, cannot believe how many poor shots are made on deer over and over again.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:17 am

The little things to me are the biggest factors in crunch time.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:22 am

Success is in the details! ... the difference between success and failure is in the smallest of details.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:46 am

Soooo, here is a question. Which way do you prefer to have your stand set, facing the direction you expect the deer to come from, and be sitting that way, or facing the opposite direction, so you can stand behind the tree so it blocks you? I've been picked off in both setups. And have lately been trying to set up with my stand facing away from expected movement, using the tree to hide me.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:17 am

mag1 wrote:Soooo, here is a question. Which way do you prefer to have your stand set, facing the direction you expect the deer to come from, and be sitting that way, or facing the opposite direction, so you can stand behind the tree so it blocks you? I've been picked off in both setups. And have lately been trying to set up with my stand facing away from expected movement, using the tree to hide me.

Whichever way I have the best cover. I spend a lot of time picking a tree. Especially when the leaves are off.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
mag1 wrote:Soooo, here is a question. Which way do you prefer to have your stand set, facing the direction you expect the deer to come from, and be sitting that way, or facing the opposite direction, so you can stand behind the tree so it blocks you? I've been picked off in both setups. And have lately been trying to set up with my stand facing away from expected movement, using the tree to hide me.

Whichever way I have the best cover. I spend a lot of time picking a tree. Especially when the leaves are off.

If possible I set my stand facing the deer and such that my bow is on my left side and I am shooting to my left (I am right handed). I am holding my bow between my legs about 75% of the time. At crunch time or if I see that deer are moving about I will hold my bow with it sitting on top of my leg or seat and use it to hide my face. I have sneaky leafs attached to my bow and stabilizer which helps to break up my outline and face.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 am

As stated earlier, for me, I always face the deer if possible... To high a percentage of failure the other way. I want to time my movements with the preys eyes, and with his movements and I want to take the 1st good shot presented. If they get close they often sense you. Big bucks learn a thing or two before getting big. When I started hunting my success was way lower. In the 90's I can remember wounding and missing and getting busted a lot more... It used to be I brought home one out of 4 big bucks that came into my set ups. Now by fixing every reason they spooked I take home about 6 out of 7... It seems like if they get within 40 yards they get dragged back out... One of the biggest reasons in my opinion is facing the deer head on.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:32 am

Old article of mine on treestand set ups.
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1329
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:34 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Shooting. Maybe its not a "little" thing. All the tactics in the world won't put the deer in your truck if you cannot hit what your aiming at.

But its something that you can work on controlling the nerves. Now that hunting season is done...watching more vids, cannot believe how many poor shots are made on deer over and over again.

This is why trimming lanes are important too. IMO
Can't hit your target with something inbetween ...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:46 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Shooting. Maybe its not a "little" thing. All the tactics in the world won't put the deer in your truck if you cannot hit what your aiming at.

This is why trimming lanes are important too. IMO
Can't hit your target with something inbetween ...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Some of us can't trim lanes

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”