The little things

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: The little things

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:49 am

Great thread I have struggled with the details of facing a stand many many times. There are many times in FL that I have to hang on the opposite side due to the type of tree I am getting in and the lack of cover for the setup. I spend a lot of time standing looking behind me. And I have been successful, but I am way more successful if I can face the direction of deer travel and be concealed.

one of those small details for me is the order of items I have and their placement. Now each weapon system and hunt is a little different, but I have a few things (probably a lot more then Dan) I bring. One of those is a thermocell. I have it lit before I enter the woods for the main reason it is noisy to light that clicking noise is loud. It also hangs up wind below me on the strap. my bow goes on the right side of my stand nearly every time. my grunt hangs on the right side of my stand or the right side of my harness rope. my rangefinder hangs across the left side of my body.

Gun season my binos are around my neck and rangefinder is in the same place as arch. I have now added milkweed which is either in center pocket of my bibs or left leg pocket of my pants.

It seems to work for me and as I have gotten more organized I have noticed less movement at crunch time.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Shooting. Maybe its not a "little" thing. All the tactics in the world won't put the deer in your truck if you cannot hit what your aiming at.

But its something that you can work on controlling the nerves. Now that hunting season is done...watching more vids, cannot believe how many poor shots are made on deer over and over again.

This is why trimming lanes are important too. IMO
Can't hit your target with something inbetween ...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Some of us can't trim lanes

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Then I hope shots aren't taken is all I can comment...

I listen to the BS of hunters saying they had a 6" window to shoot though. I call it bad judgement. And hoping / wishing their arrows hit the target. I always forget though, everyone's an expert shot especially in the heat of the moment.

This is not towards you at all.

Its towards poor judgment and bottom line, they really mustn't care about the animals to the level of willing to pass...

After all Michael Jackson had an excellent grip.
Even when he held his infant over the railing of a hotel... Called taking chances...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:17 am

Little things to me are a big factor IMO. Packs for instance, we spend the time to scout and prep a tree so that in theory the deer get used to the area. Place the stand so that our movement and silhouette is broken up but yet our pack will hang heavy and bulky. To me it just adds one more unordinary outline to the deer.

I was told about deer busting guys due to ground scent (around the bottom of the tree) and it made me think about it. I can only name one instance in personal instances but it was enough to make me change things up.

When I arrive to my tree I will place my bow hook on the tree then take the stand off my back and hang it on the hook. My stand is stacked jacket, harness, sticks, then stand. I then attach the lift cord to the bow, put the jacket on, then harness, take the talon bungees off, place the first stick in hand and put the stand back on my back to begin my climb up. I think this has help with stealth more than ground scent. The ground scent to me can be avoided my access.

Screw in hooks and trimming is not allowed here but I'll be honest I do it. Hooks always come home with me and I never trim anything bigger than what a pair a shears can't handle.

I'm borderline ocd anyways so simple things bother me. The factors that we can control that may limit our success but are over looked due to us being stuck in the frame of mind of the rat race.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:35 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Shooting. Maybe its not a "little" thing. All the tactics in the world won't put the deer in your truck if you cannot hit what your aiming at.

But its something that you can work on controlling the nerves. Now that hunting season is done...watching more vids, cannot believe how many poor shots are made on deer over and over again.

I listen to the BS of hunters saying they had a 6" window to shoot though. I call it bad judgement. And hoping / wishing their arrows hit the target. I always forget though, everyone's an expert shot especially in the heat of the moment.

Its towards poor judgment and bottom line, they really mustn't care about the animals to the level of willing to pass...

Even when he held his infant over the railing of a hotel... Called taking chances...

I understand Ed, I'm a firm believer in picking the tree that gives me the best chance of the deer walking by in a killable position. 6" circle? How far? Being honest I'll take that shot within a close proximity. But I get the jist of what your saying and agree. I wish my state allowed trimming to a certain degree. Spring scouting would be easier setting kill tree's :lol:

We've used pull ropes, strings to tie back branches when we can. Heck I've tied objects on the ends to reach a few or wrap them to pull them out of the way.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:07 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:

I understand Ed, I'm a firm believer in picking the tree that gives me the best chance of the deer walking by in a killable position. 6" circle? How far? Being honest I'll take that shot within a close proximity. But I get the jist of what your saying and agree. I wish my state allowed trimming to a certain degree. Spring scouting would be easier setting kill tree's :lol:

We've used pull ropes, strings to tie back branches when we can. Heck I've tied objects on the ends to reach a few or wrap them to pull them out of the way.

Trimming isn't the same as breaking branches right - lol

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Can't trim lanes in wisconsin public, but they don't say anything about a 300lb guy hanging on branches that can't support his weight ;)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:

Trimming isn't the same as breaking branches right - lol

Legal to bend just not break :lol:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:58 pm

This is so true. I know so many that are great hunters as far as getting on bucks but totally suck at shooting. If their not missing they are wounding them and rarely if ever get a quick clean kill. Pretty sad to see as shooting accuracy should be a priority or you have no business even being out there.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:22 pm

On a recent post Dan commented his release is on whenever he is in the woods. Small but important to me.

It won't be lost and I have found one before. Also deer won't always follow our script. Be prepared even in the parking lot.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Even when he held his infant over the railing of a hotel...

I read this as.....Even when he held his infault over the railing of a hotel LOL!

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:30 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:On a recent post Dan commented his release is on whenever he is in the woods. Small but important to me.

It won't be lost and I have found one before. Also deer won't always follow our script. Be prepared even in the parking lot.

Yup. I'm hunting as soon as I leave the truck. (unless I hunt mornings)
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:47 am

dan wrote:As stated earlier, for me, I always face the deer if possible... To high a percentage of failure the other way. I want to time my movements with the preys eyes, and with his movements and I want to take the 1st good shot presented.

This! I have learned the hard way, that putting the treestand on the back side of the tree causes too much movement that can get you busted. If you can't see the deer coming you can't shoot it. If you have to move too much to see the deer then you are busted.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:03 am

Those are some good points. Then if I remember correctly, the times I was busted when facing the deer was when I didn't have my bow in hand, and had to move to grab the bow from either the stands bow holder, or one mounted low on the platform. The last couple of years, I've been picked off on the back side, probably thinking the tree was blocking my movement when in reality it wasn't. Will have to work on that next year.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:09 am

Another important point about trimming lanes...certainly is important to have clear shots but it has caused me to get busted before. If you are trimming lanes, and it's anytime close to the day, or the day you are hunting, deer will spook because of that activity. Either needs to be done in the offseason or such that you can shoot the deer as soon as he hits the lane. I have had a buck spook 10 yards before getting to a spot had trimmed the day before.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:13 am

justdirtyfun wrote:After all Michael Jackson had an excellent grip.
Even when he held his infant over the railing of a hotel...

I read this as.....Even when he held his infault over the railing of a hotel LOL!

Ha-ha.
I had to read it three times, WOW, you're as messed up as me (it gets worse when you get older) - that's funny right there!!! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”