SE MN CWD Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

SE MN CWD Hunt

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 am

CWD Hunt details are out: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/r ... l_hunt.pdf

I was reading on another forum how mad people who live in this area of the state are. I cant imagine that many of the private landowners are happy about this - but wont most landowners just not hunt? There isn't much public land available in this area.

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: SE MN CWD Hunt

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks MN...I'll be interested to see the count when its over...I'm guessing they want to dang near wipe 'em out, not sure. I was'nt paying attention in 2010 when they found it in Pine Island. Assuming they had a special there also??? :handgestures-thumbupright:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:16 am

There is a public informational meeting tonight at the Fillmore Central School Auditorium, 702 Chatfield St, Preston, MN from 7-8:30 PM.

It sounds like the DNR has already decided what it's response will be. Unfortunately that means that public opinion may not matter or be taken into consideration.

If this is anything like the response in the Pine Island area a few years back deer populations will be dramatically decreased through a public hunt. Then sharp shooters will be hired to kill deer over bait, on properties they can gain access to, until testing and population goals are met.

Ugh.......I have already contacted my local legislative representative about this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:58 am

I don't like this at all. It didn't work in wi and it won't work in mn. Only thing I was happy with was that they kept it to a smaller section.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Killing deer won't stop CWD... If its already there, its already in the enviroment. They would litterly have to kill every deer and never ever ever bring them back cause its proven to stay in the enviroment (soil) and when new deer come back they too will get it. CWD is pretty much everywhere now. Killing all the deer does nothing to stop it. Lowering the population has actually been shown to spread the disease even faster in at least one study that showed that lowering the population made the bucks (which are more prone to CWD) increase the size of there home range thus spreading the area out further.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Is there any proven case where CWD has or is killing deer? Question everything!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:33 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DNR wants us to have low deer numbers. This is just an excuse to eradicate them.
I also liked "no bag limit" then later it says you can't use a gun with your archery tag. Makes a lot of sense!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:29 am

Lockdown wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DNR wants us to have low deer numbers. This is just an excuse to eradicate them.
I also liked "no bag limit" then later it says you can't use a gun with your archery tag. Makes a lot of sense!!!!

Who gives more money to campaigning? Insurance companies or deer hunters. Thats why the DNR wants low numbers. Everything is related to money in this world
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:57 am

What a waste. This is only the beginning for you MN guys. This hunt will do no good.

Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:33 am

dan wrote:Killing deer won't stop CWD... If its already there, its already in the enviroment. They would litterly have to kill every deer and never ever ever bring them back cause its proven to stay in the enviroment (soil) and when new deer come back they too will get it. CWD is pretty much everywhere now. Killing all the deer does nothing to stop it. Lowering the population has actually been shown to spread the disease even faster in at least one study that showed that lowering the population made the bucks (which are more prone to CWD) increase the size of there home range thus spreading the area out further.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts and almost exactly what I said in my email to my legislative representatives. I also used Wisconsin as an example.

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:33 am

dan wrote:Killing deer won't stop CWD... If its already there, its already in the enviroment. They would litterly have to kill every deer and never ever ever bring them back cause its proven to stay in the enviroment (soil) and when new deer come back they too will get it. CWD is pretty much everywhere now. Killing all the deer does nothing to stop it. Lowering the population has actually been shown to spread the disease even faster in at least one study that showed that lowering the population made the bucks (which are more prone to CWD) increase the size of there home range thus spreading the area out further.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts and almost exactly what I said in my email to my legislative representatives. I also used Wisconsin as an example.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:34 am

Knute78 wrote:

Here is a post from research I did long ago that I used to fight in Wisconsin:

Here is what Wyoming DNR officials had to say about Wisconsin officials scare tactics about CWD spreading to humans:

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that hunters and others who consume venison containing the proteins that cause the deadly brain ailment chronic wasting disease will get the disease, according to Wyoming Game and Fish Department scientists.

Wyoming officials said the risk of death to humans who eat such meat appear nonexistent.

"Nobody has ever died from CWD and people have been eating (deer meat that could contain prions) for 25 years," said Terry Kreeger, Supervisor of the Game and Fish Department's Veterinary Research Services.

Here is why we cannot "eradicate" CWD from Wisconsin according to UW Scientists:

scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison suggest that certain soil types serve as natural prion repositories in the wild. As animals regularly consume soil to meet their
mineral needs, it's possible that prion-laden soil particles contribute to the
transmission of prion disease such as CWD among animals.

"Prions most likely enter soil via excretion or from the carcasses of infected
animals,"

"We also wanted to determine how difficult it is to remove prions from clay,"
says senior author Joel Pedersen, a UW-Madison assistant professor of soil
science. "It turned out to be extremely difficult."

In fact, prions could be released from clay only when the scientists boiled the
clay-bound proteins in a detergent solution.

State Representative Garey Bies regarding where CWD came from in Wisconsin.:

Also regarding Chronic Wasting Disease, I was quite shocked to learn that the University of Wisconsin-Madison, in 1988 inoculated live animals with CWD. One type of animal that was inoculated was mule deer. And I find it more than a little suspicious that a mule deer, shot by a hunter in the Mt. Horeb area during that time, was immediately confiscated by the Department of Natural Resources. Why were the Department and the University not forthcoming with this bit of information? Could these mule deer, infected with CWD by the University be the source of the disease in our native whitetail population? I requested the Committee to inquire with the University as to the nature of the CWD experiments and what happened to all of the animals infected.

Statement by Dan Infalt on Rabies VS CWD

30 years of testing to see if they could infect other animals with CWD has resulted in NO test animals getting the disease other than other deer. I would rather eat raw venison off of an infected deer, than handle a rabid Bat. Why not put a big circle on the freakin map and kill all of the bats?? Probably becuase the govener is not getting a kick back from auto insureance companies to reduce the number of Bat / car accidents. Yes freinds... Rabie's is far more dangerous than CWD, and nobody is doing anything to stop it.

Quotes from MATT VERDON DNR CWD Cordinator, in an email response to Dan Infalt:

Simply put, with the size of the infected area and the factors involved, deer eradication is unrealistic as a means to control the disease.

There has been research done that shows the disease can be obtained from the environment

the highest we have seen is 10-12% of the adult population infected.

Matt
Q Matthew Verdon
Chronic Wasting Disease Data Coordinator
Bureau of Wildlife Management
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

Dan Infalt on safety issues since CWD regulations went into effect:

I assume the two guys who almost shot me in the last two years probably took a hunter safety coarse. I had one guy draw a bow on me in pitch black darkness as I was heading out of the marsh after tracking a friends wounded deer. I heard the arrow slide back and quickly lit the guy up with my flash light, he was at full draw. He started screaming at me, something about how I am going to get myself shot by walking around at night without a flashlight... Yep, the DNR is right, this guy should have a rifle in his hands and several tags to shoot any deer... After all, he had a hunters Safety coarse right? How about the time I walked out of the marsh and had a bowhunter at full draw aiming at the trail waiting for me to walk out? He just let down his draw and staired at me... Both guys I just walked away, it aint worth it to argue with idiots. Would you take your kid out in the cattail marsh where there are guys jump shooting deer but can't see through the cattails at whats beyond? It is the DNR's responsability to keep hunting safe! I agree, that individules should be held responsible for not following every safety rule. But allowing people to shoot at any deer they see, and encouraging it, is going to cause people to get shot. It could be your son or my kid that gets it. Opening rifles in these same areas is insane. They closed rifles becuase it was too dangerous, now that we can shoot any thing we see it suddenly becomes safe????

Quality Deer Management Association on CWD management
Uplands Branch (QDMA)

The QDMA acknowledges that total herd eradication may appear to be the most effective method to contain and control CWD.

At this time, however, the QDMA considers total herd eradication impossible under most circumstances, unacceptable to many segments of society, and impractical as a long-term CWD management strategy.

Aldo Leopold, on wildlife Eradication way back in 1944:

. . This episode shows that a scientific bureau, confronted with a question of wildlife eradication, may prefer to lose the wildlife than to lose time in scientific research for alternatives. In one sense this is water over the dam, but in another it carries a lesson for the future. At best, the scientific base in this case was sketchy, and no imagination had been used in searching for less destructive alternatives."
"It is time for us to learn caution and restraint in our power to eradicate wild things." --Aldo Leopold, December 5th, 1944

Attorney David Mandell
A Safe & Sane Alternative to the
Wisconsin DNR Deer Slaughter

The DNR’s rush to kill 100% of the deer population in a 361 square mile area in Southwestern Wisconsin
- as soon as possible - is meeting strong resistance from many hunters and landowners. As outlined here,
CAIDS-Wisconsin and these two groups support a more reasoned, balanced approach to successfully
addressing and containing Chronic Wasting Disease in Wisconsin.
Hunter-sportsmen oppose the kill because it is neither for food nor sport. Ninety-eight percent (98%) of
the deer to be killed and incinerated or dumped in the landfill will be healthy animals. The traditions that
mark the sport of deer hunting are being cast aside. What the DNR has proposed is an all-out “War” against the deer, not a sporting deer hunt.
Area landowners opposed granting the DNR the power to abuse private property rights and view the
plan as a threat to the right to live safely and securely in their communities. Conducting a war-like assault
to search and kill all deer will produce “collateral damage” and materially upset the ecological balance of
the area. The DNR rush to judgement – without adequate research, testing and preparation – simply
adds further insecurity and anxiety that accidents and harm are a certainty.

Dr. James Kroll

“My strong opinion is that CWD and other diseases never will be eradicated from wild deer herds. They just become a factor to consider in management.”
Professor James C. Kroll, Founder & Director, Institute for White-tailed Deer Managament & Research

Colorado DNR Scientist speaks about CWD culling

The agency's lead scientist on CWD and an early proponent of culling, Mike Miller, said data collected over the years don't show that thinning herds has had any significant effect on the rate of the disease in the wild.

Colorado Officials comment on there 30+ years of CWD

CWD has never taken down vast numbers of deer as once feared. In fact, in the most infected pockets of the state, the rate of disease among deer is about 10 percent, not much different than it's been for several years.

Professor Charles Southwick comments on culling CWD deer.

One prominent critic of the culling approach has been retired University of Colorado biology professor Charles Southwick, who has argued that culling might actually exacerbate the spread of CWD.

That's based on his view that clearing deer out of a "hot spot" just opens the door for more deer to come in and contract the disease from the environment, where research suggests the agents behind the disease can subsist in soil and feces.

In addition, Southwick has argued, it might be that most deer and elk have a natural resistance to CWD. By killing off mostly healthy populations, the division might be reducing the creatures that have that resistance, under his view.

Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
www.HUNTINGBEAST.com
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:58 am

Thanks Dan... its tough to have a productive conversation w/ a brick wall.... :liar: :naughty: :naughty: I wish it was as simple as "us" against "them" (environmentalists)...but its us against the govt. and they have more time and $ than us peons
I am not giving up :D
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”