You're hunting area now versus 10 years ago?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: You're hunting area now versus 10 years ago?

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:27 am

10 years ago was close to the start of a major herd reduction effort by the DNR in Iowa. Most hunters here didn't like it because they can't go out and see a dozen deer every sit anymore but it was needed to preserve habitat. There were extremely heavy browse lines everywhere in the woods. Now the browse lines are less noticeable most places. I

know some parts of the state are hurting though - NW Iowa is buck only for gun season this year.

So yea deer numbers are lower by 30-50% around here but I think its a good thing....probably the only hunter alive that will say that. :lol:

We still have more deer in eastern Iowa than anywhere I have spent time recently...southern MN, anywhere in WI or northern IL. Even though the respective wildlife management agencies put out deer density estimates that are supposedly similar the comparison is a joke. Somebody is lying I am not sure who :liar:

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:31 am

By the way, if you want to see the midwest DEVOID OF HABITAT...look at historic aerial photos from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. The few pieces of timber had cattle in them. There was no CRP. There is far more cover now even though yes there is a disturbing trend going back to removing fence rows and woodlots and row cropping right up to creek banks. It was far worse then....and there literally were NO DEER most places.

I suspect some of the older hunters laugh at us young hunters complaining about no deer. Not saying its good in many places, but its still far better than 40 years ago.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:58 am

tgreeno wrote:I think the last 10 years has seen many changes that aren't helping the deer population. Reduced habitat. Farms being sold and Sud-divisions going in. People building houses in the middle of great deer habitat. Widespread trail camera usage. Hunters much more efficient patterning deer with 10-15 trail cameras on every piece of land. Widespread crossbow usage. Putting more people in the wood with a deadlier weapon. And in WI (not sure about other states), an almost unlimited amount of doe tags for certain areas of the state. Along with 2 or 3 extra doe only hunts each year.

As far as my personal experiences, I can't compare. 10 years ago I hunted almost strictly private and we had just started QDM on that property. Before that we used to shoot 2-3 bucks off that property every year. Now I hunt almost strictly public.

That's a good point about trail cams. Right around the time crossbows became legal here trail cams were just taken off also.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:52 am

Dutchess county NY, numbers are about 1/2 they were 7-8 yrs ago. 2008 take was 4200, 2015 was 2100. Mike
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:06 am

Things were much different 10 years ago here in WI. Deer numbers were much higher then statewide and hunting was generally good but things were already drastically changing. You would have to go back to CWD discovery in 2001/2002 as this is when the slaughter them all mentality started. The T-Zone hunts decimated the deer herd state wide but the damage was nowhere near as bad as it was in the far northern counties. Hunting up there in the late 90's-early 2000's was unbelievable as numbers were at an all time high and buck quality was also very good. Truly the good ole' days and so glad I was able to experience it. Currently I would rate our deer herd similar to what we experienced in the 1980's.

In southern WI EAB came more into play about 10 years ago and even though the deer herd was going down the quality and number of bucks drastically increased because people couldn't shoot them without filling a doe tag first. I hated being forced to kill does but still believe EAB was the best thing that ever happened to improve buck quality because they had a chance to get a few years older. My buck hunting from 2007-2010 was unbelievable and honestly I do not ever see that repeating anytime soon under the current framework.

The antlerless slaughter has done so much damage and it's obviously evident in the drastically lower deer kills the last 5 seasons. It's especially sad to see what has happened up north. So many hunting camps have broken up the last 3-4 years and generations of tradition have ceased in some areas as guys just quit hunting or moved onto better hunting elsewhere. I can sympathize with the guys hunting in some of the very low density deer areas like the NE because many of my best spots up north I can hunt 2 weeks before seeing a deer much less a shooter buck unless you are baiting which I do not do. I'm hoping things improve but also realize we still have it pretty good outside northern WI compared to other areas of the country. It's just really tough to accept it when you get a taste of how great it can truly be.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 am

I have been traveling to NW PA for 18 years in a row. 8-10 years ago it was at its peak.

The herd is now a small fraction of what it was. Hardly any big bucks around in comparison. It has gotten to a point that I don't think I will be back up there anymore for deer season. And that is saying something. It's sad really.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:22 am

In my area of PA the deer numbers seem to be really doing ok. The overall deer herd is a little lower overall but I think the quality of the bucks has improved. The specific property that I have been hunting has changed quite a bit over the past few years with all of the Marcellus gas well drilling in my area. But surprisingly this has not had an effect on the deer population at all. I am very happy with the hunting inhere at home right now.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 am

Maine -- hard to say. Trail cams and more scouting say things are better. BUT 10yrs ago, I was not running any cameras. We are not killing any more deer than we were 10yrs ago. Expanded / urban hunting with the unlimited doe tags, wish that would come to an end. "Urban" hunting in some spots there is 3sq miles or more of timber. But hunters have decimated the deer numbers.

Outside of the urban zone, numbers are good (for Maine). But when you put more time in, scout harder, run more cameras, things seem better because more effort is put in.

KS - EHD has played a major roll in leveling the herd. prior to 2012, things were fantastic. Some of the best hunting I have ever seen in my life. 2o12, things got real...REAL fast. Bye bye age class for a couple of years. 2015 saw a big rebound. One of the best 2 weeks of hunting I have ever had. 2016, saw way less buck numbers. Not quite sure why. :think:

At the end of the day? Its hard to say. I am a lot more knowledgeable deer hunter than I was 10yrs ago. My goals have changed.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Western NY 10yrs ago had 25% of farms leased- prolly 80% now. Qdm was starting to rise up and is rather vested now. More bow hunters than there was 10 yrs ago. Same here dynamics as 10 yrs ago- people just lie about the age of 2yos more now than ever before. Beans are now a viable and somewhat present cash crop but ag is becoming more and more efficient leaving less scrap. More sprawl and less access. I hunt much older deer now than then and focus way more on the experience than the harvest.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:42 am

Oh boy...loaded question!

10 years ago I started archery hunting.

In that 10 years I've gone through the learning curve, property changes and Pennsylvania has implemented herd reduction and antler restrictions (that's been around 15 years now).

Every season seems to get better for me. Which is telling me I'm on the right track.

This is probably the last year I hunt most of my areas "at home". My buddy stopped farming last year and I'm loosing access to some places and the new farmers and their friends are taking over...lots of drilling and a huge pipeline is being cut through...when you hunt small woodlots and they cut a 50yd wide pipeline through it, there ain't much left.

Interesting to sit and think about the changes and how my hunting has evolved.

I'm seeing more deer and more mature bucks every season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:38 am

My grandfather and I talk about this often. The deer numbers are way down. The worst I have seen in my hunting times. Over the last couple years, with cwd in surrounding counties, the dnr sure have put the deer herd in even worst shape. Way to many doe tags being handed out. Also, the crop permits over the years have really hurt also.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:46 am

My area of Illinois is a shell of what it was 10 to 20 years ago. Unlimited doe harvest, increased efficiency in weapons that literally anyone can shoot with little practice and an increase in hunters is the culprit. Around here I will not see a single deer on 75 percent of my hunts. If I hunt hard the whole season I will average 30 deer sightings for the year. It's been this way here for awhile now because my area has very limited habitat. You have to get used to it. I believe the Midwestern states are all in cohoots together in reducing the deer herd to much lower levels. They aren't coming back. It's what they want. Best to just get used to it.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:51 am

jonsimoneau wrote:My area of Illinois is a shell of what it was 10 to 20 years ago. Unlimited doe harvest, increased efficiency in weapons that literally anyone can shoot with little practice and an increase in hunters is the culprit. Around here I will not see a single deer on 75 percent of my hunts. If I hunt hard the whole season I will average 30 deer sightings for the year. It's been this way here for awhile now because my area has very limited habitat. [glow=red]You have to get used to it. I believe the Midwestern states are all in cohoots together in reducing the deer herd to much lower levels. They aren't coming back. It's what they want. Best to just get used to it.[/glow]

I completely agree. This is the new normal.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 am

Nothing stays the same. Hunters are to blame for the most part. Greed, ignorance, Play a huge part in the herd reductions. The "I'm going to get mine attitude" runs rampant. Hunters just aren't willing to save some for the next guy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:05 am

My father-in-law has farmed the 800 acres around me for the last 40 years. He has noticed an enormous decline in deer while harvesting since the influx of Amish into our area. Any land/homes that go up for sale are instantly bought by the amish. They have built 2 school within 3 miles of my house to account for all the families. Gun season is extremely long in NY, and during that time frame the Amish push deer with literally dozens of people. I have changed to bow hunting to beat the orange army over the last 4 years and it has made a huge difference in the amount of deer I see. I can not fault the Amish though, it is a way of life for them and means for feeding their family. Just frustrating that they will shoot anything and everything....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”