First Marsh Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ahab

First Marsh Hunt

Unread postby Ahab » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:38 am

I am going to try my first Marsh hunt. There is a bunch of public land 1 hr from my home with a windy river running (mostly) North/South. There is plenty of Marsh (cat tails) on either side of the river. The predominant wind is from the west.

If I am going to try an afternoon hunt, if the wind coming from the west, should I be hunting on the East side of the river?

Thanks,

matt1336
500 Club

Re: First Marsh Hunt

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:49 am

That's too general of a question. Try to find where they are eating and where they bed. Get in between these to areas....closer to the bedroom and don't have the wind blowing into bedding. If there is snow, follow tracks from food to bed and set up from there. It sounds like you might want to spend a day or two scouting before you hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: First Marsh Hunt

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:57 am

Like matt said, scout first. I would start by last looking at an aerial of the area you want to hunt. Try to identify potential bedding and travel routs.

There are lots of threads that you can look at that will help you distinguish these landmarks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”