Out of State Missouri...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wdog

Out of State Missouri...

Unread postby wdog » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:52 am

Ok fellas, a buddy and I have been putting in for our points for Iowa we have trip planned for 2018 to go there. We would like to try an over the counter state for the odd years we are waiting to go back to Iowa. We have narrowed it down to Missouri due to opportunity, price, distance from home and quality of hunting from what we can find online.

I love this place its chalk full of info, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guys on here and the help that they offer. I have been using the search option reading up as much as possible. I am asking for some guidance, obviously it's intimidating to try hunting somewhere new i am used to doing it for turkey and waterfowl but I feel a diy trip for deer is a whole separate beast in its own.

I am not posting this looking for someone to hold my hand and show me where to go I know how much sweat and grit is put into finding public land spots and I have more respect than to just flat out ask that. I feel like that would be disrespectful.

If someone is willing to lend any info about Missouri or DIY whitetail trips in general, tips, failures, and learning experiences. If you would like to pm me, heck I would love to even talk to someone via the phone if you are willing. I plan on calling some biologist and dnr staff and narrow down my search. We also plan to go down in the spring to put some boots on the ground.

Some things I would like to know. How is the terrain in the NE, N central part of the state this is what we have basically narrowed down to.

How is the deer quality in recent years in that part, population, ehd etc. Any info or personal experience with the special draw system? Where is the most pressure what do public land guys in MO tend to congregate to?

What about marshes? I have all Dan's dvds and took his workshop last year so we got that checked.

What time of year would you go? I thought about maybe buying a rifle tag and hunting bow only areas and skipping gun season here in WI. Otherwise Nov. 3 - gun season looks to be the dates picked.

What is the public land pressure, quality compared to WI?

Any insight is welcome I am just trying to use any resources available to me to make this trip as enjoyable as possible. We both know its unrealistic to go in with the thought of both tagging out, a success to us would be to just see some deer and hopefully have an opportunity at a shooter or two and experience a new state.

Right now we are in the process of purchasing a cargo trailer and turning it into a camper for our DIY excursions and man are we itching to get started. This is the type of stuff I love, the adventure, experience, meeting new people and the challenge of a DIY trip.

Thanks for any help guys it is greatly appreciated.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Out of State Missouri...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:00 am

Good choice, I'd go back...
My 2012 hunt.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18686
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:06 am

No deer here! :naughty: :lol:
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:08 am

Go to the Mo. Dept. of Conservation website. They will post county by county harvest maps for current years and you can compare to whether it's up or down. They also have info on Conservation areas with acreage, terrain and cover type, and what methods are approved for hunting there. Good luck!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:10 am

wdog wrote:
Right now we are in the process of purchasing a cargo trailer and turning it into a camper for our DIY excursions and man are we itching to get started. .

I've been thinking about the same thing and looking at them online to see what's available. I'd like to find a used one. Did you watch the video in the other thread about those trailers? Pretty good idea.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:59 am

I had a Carson cargo trailer and did some mods to it. Worked very well and on one trip I took a doe out of state in MO.

Most guys consider hwy 70 and North for big deer. But that is a generalization. State forest is free camping in a lot of it for true rustic camping. Or parks are a great option for water,shower, and electric.

The draw process starts in July when you enter. Free. Results come September 1 I think. That has changed recently. A draw hunt uses a draw hunt tag special to the area and time you applied for. 225 dollars.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:18 am

Northern Missouri has always been the go to for big bucks in the state. The public up there gets hammered pretty good as well from my experience as it tends to be smaller in size. Southern MO has more public land due to the Mark Twain National Forest but numbers of big bucks drop a little as well due to less agriculture. They are here, just maybe not as numerous as the northern part of the state. The numbers are lower in Northern MO compared to the hey day ten years ago or so due to EHD and over harvest of does (in my opinion) but the bucks are there. Tags are over the counter and no draw system except for the management hunts.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:24 am

Missouri - (Mis-er-y)

State motto - "Brown its down, year round."

Good luck. Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:39 pm

I hunted six days in Northern Missouri this fall. It was warm, pressure was high, deer movement was poor....all that being said I had a dang nice mature 8 pointer 2 steps from getting an arrow which would have made for an awesome trip had I killed him.

The areas I hunted had access trails going all over the place which kind of limits you a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to going again in a couple of years.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:40 pm

I was wondering abut doing the same kind of trip. My dad said he'd go, even drive out in front and carry gear so I could put in more hunt time and carry less. He is gun only but likes an adventure at 75 yr old.

I'm just not very confident in out of state hunts, or even in state hunts on public land.

Loved Ed's and Zap's story - Ed's hunt would be a huge success to me. The other part about Zap seeing a couple big bruisers and Ed seeing 6-8 pts also speaks volumes. The deer are there - just gotta know how to hunt them correctly...

You gonna look at doing archery only areas?
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks guys basically going to look for areas with hard access when people talk about pressure I take it with a grain of salt I figure its hard to compare pressure when imused to hunting SE wisconsinb public. Heck I will even bang on doors the worst they can say is no.

rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:56 am

First off the pressure rivals any public I've hunted in wi. There is a camper on every gravel pad, and mowed trails to every hard to reach corner. Knock on doors , the people seem super friendly. I shot a mature 8 pt this fall on public, and if I go back I will be trying to get on private..

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:41 am

Southern Man wrote:
wdog wrote:
Right now we are in the process of purchasing a cargo trailer and turning it into a camper for our DIY excursions and man are we itching to get started. .

I've been thinking about the same thing and looking at them online to see what's available. I'd like to find a used one. Did you watch the video in the other thread about those trailers? Pretty good idea.

Once we get started I will probably do a post on it with before and after pics. I feel like travel trailers fall apart with this rig it should be a more basic set up with less parts to break. I dont see why it wouldnt last forever.
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:45 pm

Looking into as well. I would look into a v front for fuel economy reasons.

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:50 pm

^^^ He is right about gas. Mine was really noticeable on the road and at the pump.

7x12 tandem axle. 7 foot was same width as truck and didn't have extra wide mirrors.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”