Late season and temps?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waymore

Re: Late season and temps?

Unread postby Waymore » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:07 am

Are you guys hunting tree stands in that cold of weather and if so are you carrying them in? With the equipment and clothes that's a lot of stuff to carry

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:33 am

Some preying and some hang and hunt. It's a lot to carry but it's all worth it.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:42 am

Dewey wrote:
vtbuck wrote:Dewey, I shot my biggest buck when it was -5. My view is the colder the better. Just hope it isn't real windy

I agree. Was just trying to be funny. Many people especially southerners think were crazy hunting in those temps. I actually look forward to it. :lol:

In the past I have hunted in temps down to -20. Some of those days movement was unbelievable. I remember once hunting the interior of a swamp near bedding and having a herd of 23 deer file past me single file an hour before dark headed to feed in a standing cornfield about a 1/4 mile away. Unfortunately they were all antlerless and smaller bucks only so I never shot.

Here's a Southerner that doesn't think you're crazy, I'd love to experience it.

We were at 19 at daybreak Saturday morning and didn't get into the 40s, that's cold for us. About every other year we get a few day stretch in January where it doesn't get above freezing, the food plots see a ton of action on those days; kind of like I picture y'alls to be when you drop down into the single digits.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:48 am

Waymore wrote:Are you guys hunting tree stands in that cold of weather and if so are you carrying them in? With the equipment and clothes that's a lot of stuff to carry

I hunt like normal on stand just need to pack cold weather gear. In the past it was quality coveralls and boot warmers but now I will be using my IWOM. The extra weight strapped on my stand is very minor.

Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:47 am

JoeRE wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like cold but check out these records around the country. Some of those lows down south surprised me. :o

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0113527.html

-27 in Alabama and everyone in the state didn't die of hypothermia? :shock: :lol: Just kidding Alabama guys....your snakes and crawly things down there scare me so we each have our own hardships!

I like hunting in the cold but do sympathize with the wild critters that are just trying to survive in it. That bitter cold is really tough on birds and small animals.

That's the truth. A few weeks ago I was in the Death Valley back-country and almost took a crap on a tarantula. I just about died.

Our winters didn't seem so bad after that.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:56 am

I hang & hunt for the most part. The nice thing is when it's that cold, I wear all my gear and don't even get to heated up on the walk in unless the snows real deep. Otherwise I strap my coveralls to the stand. The wind usually bothers me worse than the low temps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Saturday's high here is 62 and Sunday's high is 22. Sunday night low of 11. That's cold for here this time of year. Weather won't stabilize after that sauna we had in fall. Normally we hold around the 50's in December. We've been averaging about 40. Been a cold December.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Octang wrote: A few weeks ago I was in the Death Valley back-country and almost took a crap on a tarantula. I just about died.

LOL nice.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”