Ignored a Property and Made a Mistake

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mparsley

Ignored a Property and Made a Mistake

Unread postby mparsley » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:16 pm

So, here is the deal. I tagged out early on public ground this year and ignored a parcel of family property that I am able to hunt because I was seeing large numbers of deer on public. Long story short, I clearly made a mistake. :oops: This is the first year that I have really had trail cameras on the property (only been hunting the property since last November 2015) and have had them running since June 2016. I checked them in mid August and didn't see any mature bucks to speak of although I clearly had the does and a number of 1 and 1/2 year old bucks and a couple 2 and 1/2's.

Well, after ignoring the property during the rut, the below pictures is what showed up. :shock: I have also attached a map of the property. Last year at the location where the skull and bones symbol is, I killed a mid 150's 11 pointer. The first four pictures of bucks were taken at the green dot in the map. The green dot is where I had set up a trophy rock and feeder (feeder was running earlier this summer but only caught a couple does, some small bucks and fawns). The feeder has not been running since early August. The next 7 pics are taken in a rut funnel (about a 10 yard wide ridge that is 90 degrees down on the left and an 80 degree drop on the right). This funnel is depicted on the map by the black dot on the map. This ridge allows the deer to reach the front of the property and the back of the property without being in the wide open. The next pic is where I had a camera located over a scrape during the rut (this is not the only buck seen at the scrape but is by far the biggest). The scrape is located at the yellow dot on the map. Finally the last pic was a real surprise because it is at the front entrance of the property not far from my uncles house. It is depicted by the blue dot on the map. This camera had multiple deer repeatedly day in day out. It also had another buck on it that was a decent 2 and a 1/2 year old 8 not depicted.

So the question is where should I be looking for these guys beds? I scouted immediately after the season last year and found multiple beds on points but have also seen the does on this property bed on the points. How will I know which deer is bedding in the beds I find? These deer have been photographed by these cams multiple times in the same locations beginning mid September all the way up until a week ago. These were just the best pics, so I think they are using this property heavily. But I have no doubt that they travel off and on this property and could possibly be bedding, at times, off the property. Where would you guys begin looking. The property I am able to hunt is the oval mountainous portion of the map in the center. How would you guys go about finding their beds if you knew you could not kill them this year anyway because you were tagged out. What should I do now that I have all this time on my hands because I had no idea this was on the property?

https://caltopo.com/m/009K

Ladykiller

Re: Ignored a Property and Made a Mistake

Unread postby Ladykiller » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Exact coordinates on the web equals bad news.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mparsley

Unread postby mparsley » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:46 pm

I deleted the map. Always was a little too trusting. I will try to find a map without that on it.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:40 am

Good intel for next year
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:30 am

I don't think any of those bucks have maxed out their potential. Should be some really good deer running around next year there.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:42 am

Yep, they will be bigger next season.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 am

Looks like some good ones for next year. Something to look forward to and come up with plans to kill them.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:55 am

Dewey wrote:Looks like some good ones for next year. Something to look forward to and come up with plans to kill them.

Yep.. Another reason I like to bounce around and hunt different areas. Not that it's wrong to really put forth effort into a select few. I do however put a few cameras in areas that I don't plan on hunting, hoping for Intel the following year. Scout it out some more. You have lots to look forward to..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:35 pm

you didnt mess up, just have a head start on next season is all

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”