oak islands in swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

oak islands in swamps

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Does anyone here have expereince hunting oak islands in swamps. There is a bunch of public with these islands that I have scouted. However, the small ones are impossible to hunt in the afternoon as some are like a 100' by a 100' with mature oaks on them and just a little brush. these islands are almost always surrounded by short/broken cattails/grass. If the cattails were taller I coud get an afternoon sit on the bigger islands. In your expereience do big deer bed on these islands or would they prefer bedding in the red brush in a different part of the swamp? There is not much sign on the islands that I have scouted-some are 1 mile off the road.

wmihunter

Re: oak islands in swamps

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 pm

how can you tell if a big buck has been bedding on one of these? If there is not a big rub on one of the smaller islands and you are scouting it after winter melt will the big tracks still be visible in th dirt after the snow melts?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:16 pm

You talking swamps? or Marshes? Each island is different...
You really need to spring scout them and find the buck bedding in order to know how, when, or if you should approach the islands and set up. For instance, they like to bed just off the islands or right on the edge if there is a good bedding spot. Knowing exactly where the beds are tells you where you can access without getting seen... And if there is no buck beds within 500 yards it might only be good for rut...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:17 pm

will the big tracks still be visible in th dirt after the snow melts?
Sometimes, but often its hard to make any tracks out. Finding the beds is the key.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:20 pm

dan, the particular islands i am talking about have little to no brush on them or at there perimeter. The terrain goes right from short cattails to oaks. It is unique habitat
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:21 pm

i guess its a marsh since it has some timber in it
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:25 pm

wmihunter wrote:dan, the particular islands i am talking about have little to no brush on them or at there perimeter. The terrain goes right from short cattails to oaks. It is unique habitat

I would still concentrate on bedding. If its in open timber and the acorns are dropping you might have a real tough time hunting it morning or evening... Is the redbrush withing a couple hundred yards? They may be bedding in the redbrush.
Bottom line is you have to do the scouting and find some beds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”