Why is background cover more important than frontal?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Why is background cover more important than frontal?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:32 am

I've always seen it said that background cover is more important than foreground cover? Why is this?

I know it's important not to be skylined in a treestand and I get that but it seems like the tree, unless really small, would normally provide good enough background cover and the hunter should be more focused on frontal and side cover...why would this be wrong? Again, small trees I get.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Hatchetman

Re: Why is background cover more important than frontal?

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:29 pm

I thought, most times it was said for hunting on the ground.
In a tree, any cover is good cover.
Hard to come by a lot of times though.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:05 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I've always seen it said that background cover is more important than foreground cover? Why is this?

I know it's important not to be skylined in a treestand and I get that but it seems like the tree, unless really small, would normally provide good enough background cover and the hunter should be more focused on frontal and side cover...why would this be wrong? Again, small trees I get.

I'd say that's probably true more with ground too. I think because it breaks up your silouhette. Front cover depending on what it was possibly wouldn't. If it was so much that it did it might interfere with your shot. For ground I like some behind and to the sides but front open

SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Take a deer standing in a short grass field and one standing in the same field but right against the timber. The one against the timber has back cover breaking up his solid image. The one standing with no back cover sticks out like a sore thumb. It's easier to pick out a three dimensional object when all other three dimensional objects are a good distance away. When objects are close the eye can only sees two dimensional image therefore it doesn't stick out so clearly.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:12 pm

That makes some sense. Do you all think the camo netting makes an effective background cover?

I'm planning to do a ground hunt and the spot I have selected doesn't have great background cover. I had thought about taking some sticks to prop up some camo netting that I have behind me. I wasn't sure if that would be good or as bad as no cover.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:43 pm

mheichelbech wrote:That makes some sense. Do you all think the camo netting makes an effective background cover?

I'm planning to do a ground hunt and the spot I have selected doesn't have great background cover. I had thought about taking some sticks to prop up some camo netting that I have behind me. I wasn't sure if that would be good or as bad as no cover.

I'd think there would need to be something more solid. Netting would probably work if you brush it in. It would probably need to be done in advance so the deer would get used to it tho.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:12 am

I like to have some frontal cover and usually have a tree trunk behind me (to lean on) on the ground. I never was concerned with background while hiding behind a bush but it makes sense - the back cover will also help mask movement, if you are sky-lined in any manner, your movement is magnified.

In a tree, the bushier the stand tree, the better.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”