Ever regret letting a buck walk?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Ever regret letting a buck walk?

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:04 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:It's a personal opinion on what kind of hunter you aspire to be! I have a general goal set in mind before I go out. If a buck meets the criteria he's getting shot. If not it's a pass.

For me I enjoy killing deer and being lethal. Being lethal in my mind is a readiness to kill at any opportunity while in the woods hunting. Many things I've read here on the beast I apply.

Two mainly that I attempt to go by: number 1, be ready to shoot quickly and accurately and take the first best shot the deer gives you. Number 2, try to kill the best buck in the area you are hunting.

I passed a nice little 7 point the first few days of bow season. It was a spot where I was allowed 2 bonus bucks. I never made a kill there and didn't fill the tags I had spent a lot of gas money and time on. I also never went back in an attempt to kill that buck. I also passed a 6 point twice and a few other dinks this season.

I can't say I've regretted passing any buck. I can say I've regretted killing small deer bucks and does in years past.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yep I've regretted killing small bucks too. I never have a doe because it's always been to fill the freeze (which is always the ultimate goal)...well I did regret one that was smaller than I thought. But this buck would have been a pretty good buck for me and I'd have been happy with it. I just misjudged him at the time but looking back at the instant replay I saw different.

Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Checkerfred, It sounds like you did some misjudging, meaning he looked better when you got a different look at him?

I've had that happen a few times especially when one sneaks in on you and you're 20ft or more up. For me, I have a hard time judging a rack ,and body size for that matter, from straight down.
Had that happen 3 yrs ago on a good 9 pt. Had him sneak in on me right before closing in a light mist. Almost let him walk. Glad I didn't, was bigger than I thought.

As far as, If you should of shot him or not, that's totally up to you. It's your tag or should I say, tags.

My tags are my (1) Wi bow tag and my (1) Mn Non res. bow tag.
Both are extremely coveted to me each year.

This may not sit well with some, but I don't pass on bucks to let'm grow. It may be a result of me letting them go, but it's not my "reason" for letting them go, if that makes any sense.

I don't shoot a particular buck because I don't want to. Period.
In other words, That buck, That day, is not what I want to shoot because I believe I have a good chance of getting a bigger one. That's it. That simple.

If you are a hunter passing a buck for the sole sake of others than you are better man than I, but if it's because you didn't want to kill him, Then don't claim you let him go for the good of mankind. it's two different reasons and one cancels out the other.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Hatchetman wrote:Checkerfred, It sounds like you did some misjudging, meaning he looked better when you got a different look at him?

I've had that happen a few times especially when one sneaks in on you and you're 20ft or more up. For me, I have a hard time judging a rack ,and body size for that matter, from straight down.
Had that happen 3 yrs ago on a good 9 pt. Had him sneak in on me right before closing in a light mist. Almost let him walk. Glad I didn't, was bigger than I thought.

As far as, If you should of shot him or not, that's totally up to you. It's your tag or should I say, tags.

My tags are my (1) Wi bow tag and my (1) Mn Non res. bow tag.
Both are extremely coveted to me each year.

This may not sit well with some, but I don't pass on bucks to let'm grow. It may be a result of me letting them go, but it's not my "reason" for letting them go, if that makes any sense.

I don't shoot a particular buck because I don't want to. Period.
In other words, That buck, That day, is not what I want to shoot because I believe I have a good chance of getting a bigger one. That's it. That simple.

If you are a hunter passing a buck for the sole sake of others than you are better man than I, but if it's because you didn't want to kill him, Then don't claim you let him go for the good of mankind. it's two different reasons and one cancels out the other.

Yes I misjudged him for sure. The g3s were small and he looked like a 6pt. I told myself I wasn't shooting a small basket rack where I was. But reviewing the video he was bigger. I would have harvested him otherwise. What you said is exactly right. I was 20 feet up plus another 20-40 foot or so uphill making it harder to judge. I'm not around big racked big body deer all the time so judging can be a little more tough.

If I let a buck pass it's because I didn't think he met my standards or I was in a tough spot that I don't wanna work that hard for a small deer to get him out of the woods. I have no problem letting a buck walk and thinking he might grow bigger or become someone's first harvest or even fill the freezer for someone that needs it more than me. I have no problem with anyone killing any legal deer with any legal method. Now if it were my private land and I'm managing it, and I tell you nothing smaller than an 8 outside the ears and you killed a 4 pt yearling buck I'd be angry. On public you have the same rights as me so as long as your legal i wouldn't care.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:28 pm

I let one walk this year I wish I had shot. I've let a couple solid bucks go in Canada before I realized good ones aren't around many corners. Letting the buck go this year allowed me to hunt many more days though... including a number of hunts in snow with my muzzleloader in remote areas. So in that regard it was worth it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:12 pm

One year I passed a mature 6 point. Rack was out passed his ears and thick. Big heavy body also. The reason I passed is the evening before I shot a 2 year old 8 point and wasn't sure I wanted to tag that buck to end my season so he walked. Kinda regret not taking him now.We have a 6 point gene in our area and that's all they will grow. I shot a 4.5 year old 6 point years before and I've seen a few others.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:18 am

I will add this for some of you guys just getting into the passing smaller bucks. In my experience, I have shot bigger bucks nearly every season being patient and controlling my trigger finger. Anywhere I hunt, having some self control pays off in the end.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:44 am

I have passed on some bucks that if I had a chance to do it over, I'd have shot them. On the flip side, there has been some bucks I shot that if I could do it over I would let walk. That's just part of it. And that's what helps us grow as hunters.

One thing for sure, you'll probably remember that hunt more clearly than if you would have shot him. Fun ain't it? :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:53 am

Southern Man wrote:I have passed on some bucks that if I had a chance to do it over, I'd have shot them. On the flip side, there has been some bucks I shot that if I could do it over I would let walk. That's just part of it. And that's what helps us grow as hunters.

One thing for sure, you'll probably remember that hunt more clearly than if you would have shot him. Fun ain't it? :mrgreen:

Hahah yup I ain't forgetting this one unless I delete the video. :D

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:24 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:A 20 inch wide mature 4 point I passed in the 80's... I was to into score back in those days. It would of been an awesome trophy. But for the most part, I feel good about passing deer. Rarely do I feel bad for letting one live.

You often here people say: If I don't shoot it, someone else will... Well, that's true, some kid might shoot his/her 1st deer ever. Some elderly guy might get the 1st buck in 15 years... Or, maybe some how your wrong and it makes it one more year. One thing is for sure, you kill it and it won't be someones 1st buck, It won't be some elderly guys last buck, and it certainly won't make it one more year.

Just had the same argument the other day. No winning the "if you don't shoot it someone else will" --- but if I shoot it FOR SURE it will not make it. Not that I care about trying to win an argument.

Yea to me it was said best by Lee Lakosky (who I am no fan of as a hunter but will give credit where credit is due) on a wiredtohunt podcast: "If you kill a buck because otherwise the neighbor will shoot him, you are that neighbor!!!"

Personally, yea I let a couple walk that I wish I had lowered the boom on after seeing how the rest of my season played out. But don't dwell on it what is done is done.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:03 am

JoeRE wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:A 20 inch wide mature 4 point I passed in the 80's... I was to into score back in those days. It would of been an awesome trophy. But for the most part, I feel good about passing deer. Rarely do I feel bad for letting one live.

You often here people say: If I don't shoot it, someone else will... Well, that's true, some kid might shoot his/her 1st deer ever. Some elderly guy might get the 1st buck in 15 years... Or, maybe some how your wrong and it makes it one more year. One thing is for sure, you kill it and it won't be someones 1st buck, It won't be some elderly guys last buck, and it certainly won't make it one more year.

Just had the same argument the other day. No winning the "if you don't shoot it someone else will" --- but if I shoot it FOR SURE it will not make it. Not that I care about trying to win an argument.

Yea to me it was said best by Lee Lakosky (who I am no fan of as a hunter but will give credit where credit is due) on a wiredtohunt podcast: "If you kill a buck because otherwise the neighbor will shoot him, you are that neighbor!!!"

Personally, yea I let a couple walk that I wish I had lowered the boom on after seeing how the rest of my season played out. But don't dwell on it what is done is done.

Thanks Joe..I'm being optimistic that I'll have another shot at a good buck or even this same one. I completely misjudged him and I don't get tons of chances at a bigger buck....I try not to dwell but he's in the back of my mind lol. I just hate wasting opportunities
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:55 am

The only two that I'd like to have back were both half racks. One would have easily went boone with a matching other side, but I passed because I was in IA and had a few days left.......

The other was by far the heaviest on the hoof deer I have ever seen. I actually pulled back on him, then let down because I thought about score, then decided to shoot him, but couldn't get the shot......

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with passes that I've granted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”