Old buck or Big Racked Buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Big Racked Buck Or Old Buck?

(A) 245 lb dressed 170 inch 3.5 year old buck.
87%
(B) 8.5 years old with no teeth and a 120 inch grizzled rack.
13%

Total votes: 60
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Old buck or Big Racked Buck?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:49 am

dan wrote:
Dewey wrote:Wow this poll is very surprising. I hear so many guys saying age means more than anything so I thought it would be at least 50/50. Just goes to show when the rubber meets the road antler size still rules.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Try making the poll realistic... Maybe 150 inch old buck, and a 160 inch young buck. I certainly wouldn't pass any 170 inch buck to shoot a 120....

Exactly the point the poll was trying to establish. We all want to kill an old buck, but!!!!!!!

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:10 am

Stanley wrote:
dan wrote:
Dewey wrote:Wow this poll is very surprising. I hear so many guys saying age means more than anything so I thought it would be at least 50/50. Just goes to show when the rubber meets the road antler size still rules.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Try making the poll realistic... Maybe 150 inch old buck, and a 160 inch young buck. I certainly wouldn't pass any 170 inch buck to shoot a 120....

Exactly the point the poll was trying to establish. We all want to kill an old buck, but!!!!!!!

X2 - especially when most of us don't hunt managed ground where we have some type of control over what happens.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:17 am

I have to be honest the 170" all day.

I haven't shot enough big bucks to be passing on them. I also love to eat venison, as a matter of fact I eat it usually 4-5 days a week because my family doesn't eat it. But to be honest I don't hunt for the meat I hunt for the challenge and the thrill of it. The meat is just an excellent bonus.

I would also venture to guess that the majority of the guys on here would also rather shoot a bigger buck than a small one regardless of age. I'm not saying everyone I'm just saying the majority. It has become the cool thing to say that you want to shoot an older buck, but if most (not all) guys are being honest, two bucks walk in a 150 and a 170 you are shooting the 170. I know I am. It's just too hard to age deer just by looking at them.

Just being honest.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:31 am

csoult wrote:I have to be honest the 170" all day.

I haven't shot enough big bucks to be passing on them. I also love to eat venison, as a matter of fact I eat it usually 4-5 days a week because my family doesn't eat it. But to be honest I don't hunt for the meat I hunt for the challenge and the thrill of it. The meat is just an excellent bonus.

I would also venture to guess that the majority of the guys on here would also rather shoot a bigger buck than a small one regardless of age. I'm not saying everyone I'm just saying the majority. It has become the cool thing to say that you want to shoot an older buck, but if most (not all) guys are being honest, two bucks walk in a 150 and a 170 you are shooting the 170. I know I am. It's just too hard to age deer just by looking at them.

Just being honest.

Great post. Being honest with yourself is huge. You can only lie to others you can't lie to yourself. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:17 am

I'm also more interested in typical deer racks as opposed to non-typical. So - both deer weigh 250 dressed, a 150-inch 10 pt and a 200-inch nontypical-o-saurus, I'm shooting the 10 pt any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:22 am

We all would kill both! Unless on great private land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”