Busted my strings

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FrankyLattimer
Facebook: facebook.com/franky223

Busted my strings

Unread postby FrankyLattimer » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:20 am

Hey guys my son dry fired my bow (I think- he won't admit to it) and the string is all busted it. I have a excalibur matrix grizzly crossbow. I saw this listing for excalibur custom crossbow strings, can I get strings there or is there somewhere else you recommend? I haven't ever replaced crossbow strings and my local guy doesn't do em.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Busted my strings

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:36 am

Excalibur is the recurve style - right? Then you can replace your own strings. I think, they sell em on the excalibur website too.

You will want to carefully examine the limbs too - if the crossbow was dry fired, it could damage the limbs.

Sometimes strings just break - I had a compound bow string break while in storage. No-one touched it.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:53 am

Excals can take a beating... What Id do is get a new string (you can buy the standard excal string or get a custom whatever you feel like) and put it on, very easy to do (and instructional videos on their website on how to do it)
Once you have the new string on, c*ck the bow, and run a cottonball along the limbs, if the cotton catches on anything you may have a sliver on one of your limbs in which case excal will replace it for free as they have a lifetime warranty..if there are no slivers on the limbs you are good to go, fire away.

Im 99% sure you will be fine, but its good to give the limbs a once over just to be sure.

Im just curious tho, what do you mean the string is all busted?
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:37 am

Go to the Excalibur forum. Lots of custom string makers on there. Good stuff
http://excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Let's go Brandon!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:46 am

Kokes wrote:Excals can take a beating... What Id do is get a new string (you can buy the standard excal string or get a custom whatever you feel like) and put it on, very easy to do (and instructional videos on their website on how to do it)
Once you have the new string on, c*ck the bow, and run a cottonball along the limbs, if the cotton catches on anything you may have a sliver on one of your limbs in which case excal will replace it for free as they have a lifetime warranty..if there are no slivers on the limbs you are good to go, fire away.

Im 99% sure you will be fine, but its good to give the limbs a once over just to be sure.

Im just curious tho, what do you mean the string is all busted?

Spot on advice.

Even if you don't have a splinter now one may develop later. I had a splinter the size of a toothpick on my Exocet awhile back. I just cut it off with my pocket knife, sanded it smooth, and kept on hunting. I hunted with it that way for several years before I thought to swap out the limbs during the off season.

There are several custom string makers over on the Excalibur forum that make a good Flemish string for a fair price. I use 8PTBuk's strings on mine and have been very happy with them. That said there is nothing wrong with the factory strings. I always keep a spare string that is broken in in the truck in case I need to replace it in the field.

Bob

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =4&t=55730

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Get a string from Danny Miller. Google his name and Excalibur, and order a Flemish string.

Boo strings is another good one on the web, but turnaround time can be slow. Again, Flemish string.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
magoo

Unread postby magoo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:33 pm

X2 for Danny Miller. 740 483 2312 He does most of their warranty work in the states, and also makes makes their strings.
His flemish strings are nice and well priced as well. Sounds like you need a stringer also. Danny will fix you right up.

Your bow should be OK. I have a Phoenix, which is the same poundage as yours, and it has been dry fired more times
than I like to admit. Senior moments!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:59 am

How did you make out?

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”