Is this how deer smell us?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Is this how deer smell us?

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:11 pm

There is this gas station I get gas at and sometimes something inside. People smoke just outside the door - similar to at many other stores. Most of the time, no-one is there but the stench persists...

When you get close you can smell it and your breath catches a little - nasty, foul stink. You walk through the stink and into the store, get something, then walk back out through it. You sit in your vehicle and your shirt/jacket smells like the but end of a cigarette.

You get home and change out of the now stinking shirt/jacket and wonder how come you smell like that, you only walked in and out. Nasty habit some people have.

That's gotta be how deer smell us - Crest on the breath, Irish Spring, Mennon's Speed Stick, etc. Rank, nasty stink that just hangs there. We have to move the stink away from the entrance & exit areas so it doesn't alert the patrons...

Is this a good comparison?

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Is this how deer smell us?

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:22 pm

I can understand that. I give a guy a ride to work whenever he works with my crew. He smokes and I dont. Whenever he gets in my truck I can smell the cigarette stench just permiating off him.

I can only imagine that's what we smell like to deer as well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Interesting. Its like we are used to our surroundings and what is normally there and what doesn't belong there. Scent being one of them. As a non-smoker, like you guys, you can easily smell cigarette smoke because we aren't around it 24/7.

So its foreign to us.

I can imagine a deer or other animals in the woods with all the things that 'smell' normal to them in their environment. Then humans, with all the different non-natural smells clinging onto our clothes and body come waltzing in and stinking the place up.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:12 pm

It's funny you bring this up. Me and my brother were golfing and their was 2 guys in front of us about a hundred yards up wind. I told my brother those guys are smoking pot smell it? He said yeah. Then I said that's how deer smell us in the woods. He looked at me like I was crazy. Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:20 am

Deer don't smell me because I use a scent free carbon suit. :lol: Oh - and an ozonics, and a some nose jammer.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:31 am

I am not sure we can really grasp a deer's ability to "see with their nose." Somehow deer can smell how far away something is with their nose, and they can specifically distinguish predator scent from non-threatening scent.

That would be like trying to describe the color yellow to a blind man.
"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:36 am

I agree smoking is a terrible habit. Plus smokers tend to be pigs throwing butts on the ground and thinking nothing of it. Deer can smell this trash for weeks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:51 am

A friend was telling me about going through ranger school...I can't remember the specifics but they were kept in the swamps for a while without food...someone had snuck peanut butter in and opened it up and the others smelled it and started to think they might get in trouble with the drill instructor. Their sense of smell was so heightened that it stood out when in reality only they could smell it like that....same thing when they hadn't showered in a while and an instructor or someone had...they could smell the soap/shampoo on them.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 am

Stanley wrote:I agree smoking is a terrible habit. Plus smokers tend to be pigs throwing butts on the ground and thinking nothing of it. Deer can smell this trash for weeks.

LOL Stanley!

I actually meant that the scent hangs around in the air (and even gets into my clothes by just walking through the area) when they aren't there.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 am

I walked opening morning of muzzy and could smell dudes smoking 100 yds off the trail.
However, ive read somewhere that unlike humans who spell in one big, undiscerable conglomeration; deer can differentiate between 12 different smells simultaneously. Im certain scent control might help, and it surely cant hurt, but i dont think anything we do can beat their nose, other than the wind. Any nose than can differentiate 12 smells at once is bound to pick up the slightest hint of persperation.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”