Bucks Bedded In Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Bucks Bedded In Scrapes

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 am

This is something I have been looking at recently and had to share because I know some fellow Beasts will geek out on the details like I have been

Hanging a trail camera on a perennial community scrape is something I commonly do to inventory bucks in an area. I often hang a camera over the same scrape year after year. Something unique I have noticed is a few of these scrapes are also used as night beds. Not all of them - just a few. But the ones where bucks feel comfortable bedding in are used every year.

Here are a few examples.

[glow=red]Example #1[/glow] - this scrape is on the top of a high narrow ridge. It is right next to some major doe bedding that is also used by bucks in the rut, several hundred yards away from any major food sources. Its just one stop on a buck travel route through the area.

Had a camera there in 2011 and got a nice 3 year old bedding in the scrape.

Didn't have a camera in that exact spot in 2012, but in 2013 did and got a buck bedding in the scrape in daylight at the tail end of the rut. This is the exact same scrape just the trail camera is facing a different way.

Right after the 2 year old beds down a mature buck appears, I assume from a nearby bed and kicks him out. Can't stand another buck in "his" scrape.

Now we are up to 2014, had a camera there again at the tail end of the rut. This example does get daylight use in the late rut daylight bed with the scrape and licking branch right getting more use in the pre-rut.

Nothing last forever, the area changed a quite a bit after some trees fell in a windstorm in 2015 and that specific bed and scrape was no longer used.

[glow=red]Example #2[/glow]. This scrape is located down in the bottoms where a couple small valleys meet. A classic thermal hub scrape on a buck travel route basically. Doe bedding on the ridges around, any food quite a distance away again.

2015 I had a camera there all October

Don't have a better picture but this buck is stretching and relieving himself just getting up. A tree fell and partially blocked the camera.

The first buck again.

2016 I had a camera there again most of October and November. Recognize him? :D I think 3 years old this year.

Another buck

That heavy 8 again, this time stops by and plonks down in the middle of the day during the rut. The timing of this picture cracks me up....

You can bet I will have a camera there next year too.

[glow=red]Example #3[/glow]

This scrape is on a ridge top about 20 yards from a corn field. In the time my camera was there the corn was standing. Plenty of deer hit the corn for food and on the opposite side of the camera is major doe and buck bedding areas within a couple hundred yards. I pulled the camera about the same time the corn was picked but I SUSPECT bucks would bed there less even at night after the corn was out, too exposed.

Put a camera there for the first time this fall all October.

A lopsided buck I am watching for next year if he makes it.

Another one I am watching for next year.

Then a younger buck:

What is so interesting to me is that only a small fraction of scrapes I put cams on are used as beds. Some are down low, some are up high, the only one that I have seen used as night beds and be near food is the third example above. I do not know what exactly the determining factors are but am studying it.

They are all on travel routes bucks use while doing their nightly rut circuits in October and November but so are many other scrapes I watch that are never bedded in. The vast majority of bedding is at night which does not surprise me because none are great daylight bedding locations. They are just "good enough" for night beds. All the bucks were bedded for a few minutes up to a couple hours never more, just a short break from nightly rut circuits of the area.

Night beds haven't been discussed on here much recently, but there are some good old threads that discuss them in detail for those that are interested. The primary use of each of these examples was a scrape though, not a bed. 90% of the use was bucks pawing and hitting the licking branch. Every few days a buck would also bed down.

Generally the bucks bedded with wind-to-back as expected in hill country. In Example #2 where the scrape is down in a bottom, they are all facing down the valley because, outside of extremely windy conditions, falling thermals would be at their back blowing down the valley all night long.

Another interesting thing, after each of the younger bucks left (1 and 2 year olds), another more dominant buck always came in and worked the scrape hard within a few hours. When I got an older buck bedded, younger bucks came in and nosed around warily but did not paw up scrape. Bucks could clearly tell from distance anther deer had recently bedded there and who he was. They could not resist checking it out but all respected the herd hierarchy if it was a more dominant buck.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Bucks Bedded In Scrapes

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:10 am

Good stuff Joe. I am almost certain bucks use beds that have significant amounts of deer scent in them. I honestly believe this is the biggest reason for repeat bedding for a lot of bucks that use the same bed. When the season/food sources/rut change the beds become dormant and the scent wears off. I have seen bucks and does use the same bed. They do this for a reason. I should mention, I have seen does use the same bed just as often bucks use the same bed. They do this for a reason also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:11 am

Cool observation Joe. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:27 am

I have seen this a lot over the last few years but had no way to document it and really couldn't put a pattern to it and couldn't find a way to use it to my advantage. But I thought it was really cool.

Very nice write up.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:24 am

Great observations Joe.

The 9 that I was watching in Oscar's grove, who is now dead, bedded 10' from the doe bedding scrape in October. I was thinking it was just a fluke.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 am

John Eberhart describes a similar phenomenon in one of his books....can't remember which one. He calls them "rut staging areas." I think Dan calls them rut beds. Whatever the terminology, they seem to be atypical (outside the rut) bedding areas close to or, in this case, directly on high traffic rutting areas, ex. scrapes, doe bedding, active but secluded food sources, etc.

As I grow as a hunter and specifically, as a bed hunter, I also think that these areas trick some guys (myself included) into thinking that they are primary bedding. The sign is there (rubs, scrapes, beds) in the spring, but what is usually missing, as JoeRE pointed out, is the GREAT security that accompanies primary bedding. I've hunted a few areas like this early season for several seasons in a row and they will have doe activity but they are usually devoid of good bucks until the last week of October when things start heating up.

I think here is another great example of what this year's trail camera intel can tell you for next year's hunting.

Thanks for the post Joe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Great write up Joe! Trail cameras as a scouting tool are so valuable.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Seaz you bring up a good point. The first example I posted had more daylight use than the others. Not coincidentally it was the most secure location, it is basically part of a bedding area used year round by does and during the rut by bucks - in daylight anyway. My camera covered one of the day buck bedding locations that happened to be a scrape as well.

The second and third examples were more open and exposed to human intrusion and almost entirely night bedding locations. The scrapes did see some morning and evening use by bucks but not much daylight bedding.

All these terms we hunters use - primary scrapes, day beds, night beds, rut beds, blah blah...we have to keep in mind to a buck these simple terms of ours usually cover a wider range of uses and behaviors.

We humans like to label things and walk away thinking we know everything about it. If a buck could talk, I think he could write a book about all the uses of just one scrape in the woods. There's always something more to learn.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Awesome write up Joe! I found this really interesting and have to say that is something I've never witnessed or caught on camera. I will be paying a little closer attention in the future for this. When I read the title something did pop to mind. When I was younger there was a scrape that I found each year opened up around the end of October. I didnt have cameras back then but like to scout for sign. There was many times I'd go by that scrape after it was opened up and a buck would bust off out of there. Never dawned on me that they could have been bedding there, always figured I was just by chance showing up the same time a buck was checking it. This did happen many times at that same spot and different bucks. Looking at where the scrape was located it was a safe secure spot that offered security other than my intrusion. Thanks Joe for taking the time to do this write up.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:49 pm

8-)

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:19 pm

I've never heard of them bedding right on the scrape. I've seen them bed in the vicinity of a rut scrape many times. Have shot my best bucks in those spots. Thanks for posting

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:37 pm

This is great intel, Joe. Thanks for sharing. Looks like I will be adding more cams to my lineup. Too much fun!

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Good stuff Joe. Thanks!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:08 am

Your research is much appreciated. I have found spots that looked like scrapes but also appeared to be bedding. Before your post I had thought scrape? Bed? Both?? Not both! Really opened my eyes!

You are also correct about there being so much to learn about these magnificent creatures. Observing them and reading postsike this one reminds me to always keep an open mind...

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:16 am

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”