Making a Change in Setup!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mathews418

Making a Change in Setup!!!

Unread postby mathews418 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:07 am

after seeing on here and from personal experiences i saw the need for a stand and sticks. i truly believe that it will open so many new spots to set up where a climber just will not do the job.
i have been using a summit for the last 10 years now and dont get me wrong it has been a great stand, however there is just certain types of trees that you can set up on with it and as we all know that tree may not be and probably wont be where you need to be to get the job done. so after long considerations and begging and pleading with my wife i have ordered my first stand and sticks.
XOP Silver Medium and the set of 3 XOP climbing sticks which i will be doing a few MODs on to alow for getting a little higher in the tree if need be. I ordered these from jet.com as they had the best deal on them and really want the set of 4 sticks but unfortunantly they only had the 3. I truly think this set up will be way quieter to set up may take a few minutes longer than the summit but will increase stealth a ton and just open so many new trees in much better spots. I know it will take some practice to get the setup and take down down to a science, but to say i am stoked to hit the the woods with it is an understatement.

i am sure there is a thread already started on the XOP stand and sticks but if anyone has them i would like and appreciate some feed back on your experience with them.

and one last thing i just want to give Dan, and numerous others on this sight a "HUGE" (Trump Accent) (if you just read that i know you done your best impression in your head) THANKS and pat on the back for all the information and knowledge that is shared here on the sight and in the videos and podcasts.

THANKS BEASTS, good luck, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Making a Change in Setup!!!

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:14 am

Congrats on the buy! I shot my buck this year out of a beech tree (sapling) that was only 3" or 4" in diamter but it was the tree I had to be in. I also was only 2 sticks high but it was where I needed to be and I got the buck before he caught me.

I have the Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks but I think the XOP is similar if not identical. Check out the mods to put bicycle innertube on the metal buckles and do yourself a favor & message Uncle Lou to buy some Stealth Strips for your sticks and your stealth-mode will increase substantially.

Best of luck! You will not be disappointed.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:40 am

I am about to do the same, I really like JET for some things im looking for. I am getting different responses but I think im gong w Millennium M100 w LW sticks. It says the M100 is only 11.5lb, I have been told is not so im not sure yet. XOP claims to be 1lb lighter on the hang on stand vs LW. XOP sticks seem to have longer steps and more gap away from the tree for boot clearance. I like the dipped camo on them. I think they are 2 oz heavier (per stick) vs LW also. I would look into belt extensions or home made ones for your sticks too. I already know of some trees that deserve a stand but no way a normal strap is making it around. Contact Cbigbear for stick talons. I am a skinny guy and love to walk a long ways to hunt so weight is everything for me. Hope im accurate and this helps
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:I am about to do the same, I really like JET for some things im looking for. I am getting different responses but I think im gong w Millennium M100 w LW sticks. It says the M100 is only 11.5lb, I have been told is not so im not sure yet. XOP claims to be 1lb lighter on the hang on stand vs LW. XOP sticks seem to have longer steps and more gap away from the tree for boot clearance. I like the dipped camo on them. I think they are 2 oz heavier (per stick) vs LW also. I would look into belt extensions or home made ones for your sticks too. I already know of some trees that deserve a stand but no way a normal strap is making it around. Contact Cbigbear for stick talons. I am a skinny guy and love to walk a long ways to hunt so weight is everything for me. Hope im accurate and this helps

This m100u with 4 LW sticks minus the tree bracket is 27lbs.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks guys!!!
The weight shouldn't be an issue, the stand and sticks total weight will be like 7-8 pounds lighter than my summit is so it will probably be a relief right out of the gate. Expected delivery on next Wednesday!!!

wihunter

Unread postby wihunter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:24 pm

That's great on the new gear but what i really want to know is what you said to the wife to get the O.K. to buy it.....lol
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm

I was like you...nearly 10 years. I was a mobile hunter. But always had my Summit Viper on my back.

I REALLY didn't think I was missing anything. Plenty of trees I could climb. I didn't think it was loud.

My eyes have been opened.

I have a Lone Wolf Alpha with sticks. It's definitely a little heavier than my Viper. But IMO has a smaller footprint. Definitely snags on less brush. Zero clanging from the 2 sections hitting each other.

Then setting it up is FAR more quiet.

I was REALLY skeptical. But now, I absolutely love it.

The comfort, not so much. But I've done numerous dark to dark sits in it. Even in trees I knew I could take my climber into. The stealth is just huge.

I will say, give it some time and practice. At first, I hated it. It was a pain to set up. It was actually kinda scary. I always use a lineman's belt on my harness but still wasn't comfortable. Took a lot of effort and sweat and made a lot of noise and movement.

It didn't take long, but it took me a bit anyways to get comfortable and figure out my own routine. I actually make a few trips up and down the tree. Just move comfortable for ME.

I set everything out on the ground. Attach my first stick. Then the next. If I'm going 4 high I climb with both and attach them...back down for the stand. If 3 I will take my 3rd stick and stand up. Just always seem to make some clanking if I have 2 sticks and the stand on my back.

I now find myself really quiet and comfortable setting up. Time wise I'd say I'm somewhat comparable to the climber now. I'm sure it's longer but it's not a long task. I find myself also hunting lower. I can hunt thick areas where there aren't big trees. I can climb trees with limbs and get into good cover closer to the ground. I am not a big fan of heights. 2-3 sticks is pretty common for me anymore.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:50 pm

I will probably get another set this year. I have a lone wolf with xop sticks now, and have been completely mobile for 2 years. I'm thinking of maybe the m100u because of the seat for all day sits. I don't care what you do, after day 6 of all day sits it starts to hurt. Also thinking of switching to a stick set with steps on both sides, I can think of many times where it would be much more convenient.

Thoughts on the m100u compared to the lone wolf anyone?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:44 am

csoult wrote:I will probably get another set this year. I have a lone wolf with xop sticks now, and have been completely mobile for 2 years. I'm thinking of maybe the m100u because of the seat for all day sits. I don't care what you do, after day 6 of all day sits it starts to hurt. Also thinking of switching to a stick set with steps on both sides, I can think of many times where it would be much more convenient.

Thoughts on the m100u compared to the lone wolf anyone?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I too am interested in this for those all day rut sits. They turn brutal even after day 2. I have a Lone Wolf Alpha sit & climb that is much more comfortable than the hang-on. I've even thought about using the sticks to get in the tree I want but then setting my climber at the top of the sticks for comfort. I hunted 7 days in Ohio this year and my body took a beating even with an extra thick foam pad on the hang-on's seat.
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:29 am

wihunter wrote:That's great on the new gear but what i really want to know is what you said to the wife to get the O.K. to buy it.....lol

Taking her clothes shopping Saturday!!!

Thanks guys for all the input and advice!!!
I've been looking at the tubes over the buckles to silence them, but also found where some are using yak grips.
Any preference on what will be better between the 2??
I know the tubes are cheaper but 30 bucks for enough yak grips really isn't that bad if you are putting good deer on the ground.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 am

The bike tubes work great for me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:50 am

tgreeno wrote:The bike tubes work great for me.

I agree
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:43 am

csoult wrote:

I agree

not to hijack the thread, but has anyone found stealth stripping the buckles to keep the noise down? or are bike tubes the way to go?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:07 am

Kokes wrote:
csoult wrote:

I agree

not to hijack the thread, but has anyone found stealth stripping the buckles to keep the noise down? or are bike tubes the way to go?

I did this with my original pair of sticks. It works fine but requires a lot of trimming to get it perfect. Also hard to cover all the edges without affecting the function of the strap locking mechanism. YakGrips or innertubes are so much easier.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 am

Stealth strip everything. The stuff is amazing.

Stick talons are a life saver. They help distribute the weight great and super convenient.

Molle straps and belt makes the weight and long walk much better.

LW vs Millennium. I have used both these set ups a lot. The millennium I'd much more comfortable but I find handing the Lw/XOP quieter and easier. When I'm truly being mobile I've been grabbing my Lw/XOP.

My millennium M100 cost me a big buck this year in KY. He was following a doe. The doe had just walked past and the buck was about to break cover when I shifted my weight to prepare to draw. When I shifted the stand squeaked. The doe heard it and was on alert. The buck didn't care but he was in cover. After the doe did a big smell off she decided to turn back the other way and took him with her, out of my life forever.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”