Making a Change in Setup!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kokes
500 Club

Re: Making a Change in Setup!!!

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:33 am

Buckshot20 wrote:Stealth strip everything. The stuff is amazing.

Stick talons are a life saver. They help distribute the weight great and super convenient.

Molle straps and belt makes the weight and long walk much better.

LW vs Millennium. I have used both these set ups a lot. The millennium I'd much more comfortable but I find handing the Lw/XOP quieter and easier. When I'm truly being mobile I've been grabbing my Lw/XOP.

My millennium M100 cost me a big buck this year in KY. He was following a doe. The doe had just walked past and the buck was about to break cover when I shifted my weight to prepare to draw. When I shifted the stand squeaked. The doe heard it and was on alert. The buck didn't care but he was in cover. After the doe did a big smell off she decided to turn back the other way and took him with her, out of my life forever.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

wow buckshot that's great proof right there those small details matter in the moment of truth...I cant afford a millennium stand or any other stand for that matter now that I bought my Lone Wolf but Its all good I don't need another stand..

Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:18 am

Dewey wrote:
Kokes wrote:
csoult wrote:
tgreeno wrote:The bike tubes work great for me.

I agree

not to hijack the thread, but has anyone found stealth stripping the buckles to keep the noise down? or are bike tubes the way to go?

I did this with my original pair of sticks. It works fine but requires a lot of trimming to get it perfect. Also hard to cover all the edges without affecting the function of the strap locking mechanism. YakGrips or innertubes are so much easier.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I've done both yakgrips and the innertubes, and the yakgrips win hands down. Much quieter and better overall IMO
http://www.365whitetail.com/how-to-sile ... treestand/
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:43 am

I know that it is going to take some practice setting up and taking down to find a system that works for me that will allow for ultimate stealth, but how long does it normally take you to get set up and ready to kill once you reach the tree? Is there a difference in your set up time from morning to evening hunts?

RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:50 am

Personally, I just started being a mobile hunter with the lone wolf setup.

I used stealth strips on the stixs and stand. In addition, wrapped the front of the stand with rope to prevent noise.

Bought a bow holder to keep the bow hanging off to side, instead of between your legs.

Being mobile completely refreshed my mindset on bowhunting. I could hunt public, hunt private didnt matter where, nothing to hold me back.

I could hunt 5 feet up or 20 feet up. I could hunt on any winds instead of pre-set stands dictating.

Anticipation for every hunt was rejuvenating.

Just pattern the deer and prevent the deer patterning me.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 am

mathews418 wrote:I know that it is going to take some practice setting up and taking down to find a system that works for me that will allow for ultimate stealth, but how long does it normally take you to get set up and ready to kill once you reach the tree? Is there a difference in your set up time from morning to evening hunts?

After the first 5-10 times you will want to sell your stuff and go back to what you were doing. Don't do it.... It'll come, just remember to take your time and be patient with it. After 10-15 times you'll never want to go back.

You're setting up in the dark in the morning, which is a little tougher than tearing down in the dark in the evening. You'll get faster then you think in no time. It's all about getting a system.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:11 am

mathews418 wrote:I know that it is going to take some practice setting up and taking down to find a system that works for me that will allow for ultimate stealth, but how long does it normally take you to get set up and ready to kill once you reach the tree? Is there a difference in your set up time from morning to evening hunts?

The key is quiet. I can be set up 4 sticks high in 15 min but I usually take longer to be smooth and quiet.

mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:47 am

So I came home from work this evening and this was propped up in the corner by my wife!!!

So I immediately acted like a kid on Christmas morning and now it looks like this!!!

I definitely see now how stealth strips and covering the buckles are going to make major improvements on sound reductions.
Time to start practicing!!!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:38 am

Looks good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:38 am

If the milenium stands don't have the batwing offset bracket type of design- imo they aren't worth using as a mobile tree stand. You never know what you're going to set up in.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Nice. Adding a strap loop to each of those sticks will get your stand height almost as high as 4 sticks. For minimal weight. Lots of ideas around, almost a blank canvas right there. Molle straps and waist belt is worth considering also.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ridgerunner8

Unread postby ridgerunner8 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:20 pm

All I can say is practice ,I went from a climber to a lone wolf stand and sticks it was very awkward at first but it gets easier, allways use a linemans belt .I went to a rock climbing harness setup You will get it with practice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”