How far to start going "stealth mode"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JSnake

Re: How far to start going "stealth mode"

Unread postby JSnake » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 am

PK_ wrote:You WILL look like an idiot so hopefully nobody is watching you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I had to stop myself from laughing out loud while working my way to the stand other day, thinking how ridiculous I looked. To the casual observer, you look like you have some screws loose. I try to match the cadence of squirrels as well.

It basically didn't rain at all in much of Georgia for over a month up until a week ago. Everything was super dry and loud.

Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:58 am

I watched the Youtube video last year that Dan posted on setting up his stand close to a bedding area and never in a million years I would think that was possible and people would do that. But obviously it works for some and I would like to get there one day but not sure if I have what it takes. I have tried to still hunt a few times but after about a half hour I start to lose patience. I have a great deal of respect for you guys that can do this successfully.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:14 pm

When I get to the tree, the hard part is over. Not really but climbing and setting seems quieter than approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
EastCoast

Unread postby EastCoast » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Waymore wrote:I watched the Youtube video last year that Dan posted on setting up his stand close to a bedding area and never in a million years I would think that was possible and people would do that. But obviously it works for some and I would like to get there one day but not sure if I have what it takes. I have tried to still hunt a few times but after about a half hour I start to lose patience. I have a great deal of respect for you guys that can do this successfully.

I've always had issues being patient and stealthy. This season is my first to try bed hunting. One thing that really helps me slow down and make the extra effort to be careful is being reasonably confident there's a buck in the bedding area. So far Ive set up within 60-100 yds of 4 bucks this season and it gets easier every time. When it's wet I just go slow, when its dry I mix up my cadence. Usually about 100 yds out. It seems to be working. A lone wolf is a must.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:When I get to the tree, the hard part is over. Not really but climbing and setting seems quieter than approach.

I agree....virtually complete silence once my feet leave the ground.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:57 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:When I get to the tree, the hard part is over. Not really but climbing and setting seems quieter than approach.

Same here unless it's a tree with thick bark.

I would rather have dry leaves than crunchy snow, not that I enjoy either. You can mimic squirrel sounds in leaves, but they don't make noise in hard (or fluffy) snow. Deer know what's up when they hear snow crunch or ice break... And that sound can carry hundreds of yards sometimes.

I've got a few stands where I rely on a windy or wet day for access.

The last 100 yards is where I really slow down. Sometimes I get my phone out if I crack a stick or splash water. I'll peruse the beast for 5-10 mins. 2 birds 1 stone! It's better than staring at the trees...

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

Sometimes I get my phone out if I crack a stick or splash water. I'll peruse the beast for 5-10 mins. 2 birds 1 stone! It's better than staring at the trees...

That's funny because I do the same exact thing. :lol:

One day this season while walking in I accidentally stepped on and broke a big branch. While waiting and standing still for a bit I logged onto the Beast. While I was reading I looked up and a doe walked within 25-30 feet of me. Looked at me but never spooked and walked past me. At that point I figure I must have been pretty stealthy even with the broken branch so continued on. All kinds of noise out there and some they get over fairly quickly.

Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:09 pm

I never thought of pulling out the phone to make myself stop. I am always am too quick to start walking after i make noise. I might squeeze in a quick game of 2048 at each stick snap.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:12 am

Stanley wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I'm kind of reaching this conclusion too a bit. I just have a really hard time being as quiet as I think I need to be. Being 6-6 and 250 with size 16 boot doesn't make it any easier.

Great, great point. You can't be as stealthful as a 5' 5" 125 lb guy with a size 8 boot. You just have to use what you got to the best of your abilities. So you have to hang back 50 yards more than the runt guy? Just do what you have to do and then do it. The smaller hunter may not be able to carry what you can 2 miles into the bush.

Yea pretty much my situation too. Unless it is windy, snowing or raining I am very hesitant to get within 150 yards of known bedding generally but every terrain is different. I think more nimble guys can probably do better.

My darn big feet are the issue even when I slow way down and if there is any brush in the way its hard for me to burrow through it quietly. If its in the dark I sound like Sasquatch. I try to pay a lot of attention to things like wind to increase my odds.

I have learned to slow down too - hit that super low gear where you are standing more of the time than moving. We all have our strengths and weaknesses physically. I wouldn't trade in my giraffe legs climbing these hills. :lol:
Last edited by JoeRE on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:12 am

Even as a sasquatch, I know I just have to keep slowing down more and more. Pretty confident in my stand set-up once I get to the tree, but getting in is tough. Worst for me is thick brush like buckthorn, tag alders, dogwood. Pretty big cross section to try and avoid catching on anything and everything. This is part of the reason I seek out water access. Like Stanley said though, I don't mind hauling stuff. I still use an old Gorilla strap-on that isn't light, but never gives me much of an issue carrying it around.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:24 am

EastCoast wrote:
Waymore wrote:I watched the Youtube video last year that Dan posted on setting up his stand close to a bedding area and never in a million years I would think that was possible and people would do that. But obviously it works for some and I would like to get there one day but not sure if I have what it takes. I have tried to still hunt a few times but after about a half hour I start to lose patience. I have a great deal of respect for you guys that can do this successfully.

I've always had issues being patient and stealthy. This season is my first to try bed hunting. One thing that really helps me slow down and make the extra effort to be careful is being reasonably confident there's a buck in the bedding area. So far Ive set up within 60-100 yds of 4 bucks this season and it gets easier every time. When it's wet I just go slow, when its dry I mix up my cadence. Usually about 100 yds out. It seems to be working. A lone wolf is a must.

Same here. This was really my first season intentionally hunting specific beds. I went into each hunt as if I knew without a doubt that a buck was there. I think that added pressure really helps me focus and slow myself down. If I think there's nothing around I tend to rush and get sloppy with noise/movement. I use a treesaddle as my "stand" and just keep the tree between me and where I think the deer is and go up quiet as I can.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:27 am

Hogwash, if a 500lbs bear with 4 feet can run without making a sound you 6'5" guys with only 2 feet should sound like a mouse. ;)
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:55 am

headgear wrote:Hogwash, if a 500lbs bear with 4 feet can run without making a sound you 6'5" guys with only 2 feet should sound like a mouse. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bear are amazingly stealthy. We have endless mountain laurel around here that I can't even think about going through without sounding like "a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant" but I've watched bear slip through like black ghosts. Insane.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:00 am

headgear wrote:Hogwash, if a 500lbs bear with 4 feet can run without making a sound you 6'5" guys with only 2 feet should sound like a mouse. ;)

Don't think I haven't tried hands and knees through the thick stuff like a bear many times! I guess I just need to throw a bearskin rug on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”