Question for dan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Putt4Doe

Re: Question for dan

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 am

dan wrote:
WidowMaker77 wrote:What's your most memorable buck/deer you've shot dan?

[glow=red]That's hard to say... I never really think about the past bucks, more so I worry about which one is next...[/glow] f=3&t=33939

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Awesome quote and probably one of the many reasons you're so successful and you continue to just keep learning and getting better. Same as in any business or anything else - but the ones who keep wanting to do better are the ones that are most successful.

Dewey

Re: Question for dan

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:50 am

headgear wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
Dewey wrote:Bet you had 30+ lbs in neck roasts alone. :o

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

If it was 400 lbs he probably had 40 lbs of neck roast! I got 30 off the buck I shot early season that was around 270 on the hoof.

Depending on butchering methods....easily over 150 lbs of meat a 400 lb buck. Maybe 160-180. I consistently get 110-125 lbs off of pre-rut bucks that are 250-270 on the hoof.

Joe do you have dressed numbers to go with these? I've never weighed a deer with guts in but I have always wondered how much meat you get, you can certainly tell the difference when butchering. No biggie if you don't have them, just curious.

Not speaking for Joe but wanted to add my thoughts. Since I keep close watch on this I wanted to mention that the buck I killed this year was 218 dressed and I got 120 lbs of packaged meat out of him. He was likely in the same live weight range Joe mentioned at 250-270 on the hoof but can't say for sure because I didn't weigh him till gutted.

I would imagine a 400 lb live weight would easily yield 200 lbs of packaged meat. I am very picky about using every available scrap of red meat no matter how much trimming work it takes so probably get much more than your average butcher may. Hope one day I can butcher a 400 lb buck and find out for sure. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”