.....hit help.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Razorhead

Re: .....hit help.

Unread postby Razorhead » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Sorry to hear about your luck, Mauser.

I just read through this whole thread and I am really questioning whether the white hair you found at the POI was actually off of the buck you shot at. In your first photo one of the pieces of white hair is actually underneath two pieces of leaf litter. Not to say that the buck couldn't have kicked something over it but my gut feeling says it may have been purely coincidence that you found that hair at the area where you shot at him. There's a lot of other details that lead to the possibility of a clean miss, even though it seems hard for you to believe that you would have missed it at that range. If you searched that area as thoroughly as you decribed and actually put that slug into the chest cavity chances are you would have found your buck dead. That straight on frontal shot is not an easy one for sure. It's always tough to deal with these kinds of situations but it is also very important to be able to chalk it up to experience and carry on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
mauser06
500 Club

Re: .....hit help.

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Razor head, I see exactly what you mean. I should have taken a bigger picture. There was a lot of leaf litter and that dirt was actually kicked up.

Im still torn on whether or not he was hit, more than hair. Maybe a through n through in the armpit skin? White hair and no blood would be possible.

I'm pretty confident he's not dead within a few hundred yards of there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”